• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Return to Keep on the Borderlands: IC

Redclaw

First Post
Perrin, elf rogue

Perrin, leaning against the side of a wagon while the conversation had been going on, finally straightens up and walks confidently over to Danello. May I see where the relic was taken from. I have some...experience...with such things. It might give us a better idea of what sort of thieves we face. He barely spares the rest of the hired help a glance, focused on his area of expertise.

Redclaw

First Post
Negotiations

[sblock=ooc] Perrin listens to the job offer, keeping his reaction hidden. He is experienced enough to know that you never let a potential employer know you're desparate. 100 gold to travel that far away from the Free City? That's barely enough for an untrained laborer. I, sir, am an artist at getting into locked rooms, and keeping others alive in the face of deadly traps. I assure you that if you value the investment you're putting into the others you're sending along, you would be well-served to double that offer to me, simply to keep them from dying a pointless death on some kobold's welcome mat. [/sblock]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=Negotiation]Maraliss does not objects to the terms of the contract until she gets to the part about slaying monsters and bandits. At this point she frowns and shakes her head. She continues to read, but when she is finished she dryly comments that senseless killing is not going to help this nobleman. If I may, your honored sir, I believe that such wanton destruction would be of benefit to no one. Might I be given the opportunity to at least reason with and offer to make amends with those who threaten your land? I assure you I am skilled in the dealing with all manner of villain and am able to communicate with many humanoids and giants as well. I would submit, my lord, that it might be better to your advantage to convince some of those evil peoples to cast off their ways and instead swear fealty to you. I humbly request the authority to at least attempt such a reconciliation, if such is possible. My oaths prevent me from partaking in any endeavor dedicated solely to the spread of violence.

Diplomacy Check 22[/sblock]

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Maraliss comes swiftly at the call. The plain woman with the calm demeanor nods as the situation is explained, apparently taking it with the appropriate gravity. If I may sir, what does the relic look like and is there any particular reason it is important? Mind you, I don't mean to suggest it isn't, as I understand all relics are sacred. But knowing what makes this particular relic sacred might help us understand the motivations of the thieves. For such a robbery to have occurred without a scuffle, the thieves must have known about it and planned to steal it, which means they know something about it, or at least its value. She looks down at the ground for a moment and crooks her jaw. Then she looks back up and cocks her head, Sorry, I hope I'm not making this more complicated than it needs to be.

mfrench

First Post
Negotiations:
[sblock=Perrin]OOC: One minor change is that we're starting in Loftwick, the capital of Yeomanry. He can still be from Greyhawk, but he's gone to a smaller community to make a big name for himself. Perhaps he had a run-in with the Greyhawk thieves' guild, and wants to return with a reputation later?

Nikolai laughs at your response, and quickly agrees to those terms, letting you know that he understands the value of someone of your skills.[/sblock]
[sblock=Maraliss]Nikolai is quite amenable to that proposition. He is reassured that there will be someone there to represent him with a thought toward negotiation, not just violence.[/sblock]

Redclaw

First Post
[sblock=mfrench] That sounds about right. I figured he'd just left with a different adventuring band and travelled a bit before winding up in whatever city we started in. He did, sort of, have that run in with the thieves guild, as his mentor (the one he lit out on) was most certainly a member of said guild.

Receiving Nikolai's agreement, Perrin stands up and gives a slight bow. You will not regret your decision, I assure you. He then turns and leaves, hoping to spend his advance on a couple of potions.[/sblock]

mfrench

First Post
Danello beckons to the blonde man, who approaches the group. Impatiently, he begins, "The thieves stole the box containing the relic from my carraige early this morning. The two men were supposed to be 'guards' -- bah! Worthless heathens. They attacked the acolytes who kept vigil over it, and ran off into the forest with the box.

"Forgive my manners, I am Curate Fairchilde. I have been charged with bringing a relic, once possessed by a living saint, to the Keep for the benefit of the faithful. Many of the travelers in the last wagon are coming to see it on display there.

"Danello has sworn that you will bring it back. What else do you need to proceed after these rogues?"

Arkhandus

First Post
Rautham Cranston, human enchanter

"Well, anything you can offer regarding their appearance, their armaments, which way they may've gone, and what the relic looks like, or its container if any, would be helpful...." Rautham replies.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I should like to know a bit more about this relic. As you say, the alleged thieves were disguised as guards, which leads me to believed this entire ordeal was planned in advance. With that in mind, any enemies of your church could be responsible, or those who would stand to profit from the followers of your patron being without blessing. It might be an ill coincidence, but I would prefer to err on the side of caution and assume this was pre-meditated. What can you tell us about the relic; its history, the saint who once possessed it, where it was kept before?

In case Fairchilde is unwilling to divulge specific details, I will make a Diplomacy check for Maraliss. I will also make a Sense Motive check for a "hunch" about why Danello doesn't seem as concerned about this as the priest.

Diplomacy 30
Sense Motive 25

OOC: Nice rolls! Maraliss is proving her skills alright. :)

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Veir gives up waiting for the conversations to end and sits in the dirt. Slash comes over to him and the two promptly begin to wrestle. A loud groan is heard followed by Slash flying through the air, only to land on his feet with a seeming smile on his face. Veir was holding his nose, blood barely running from it. He grunts again and stomps toward the badger, who retreats under the wagon. Veir bends over to look under the wagon, and is bitten on the butt by the speedy badger. Enraged he flails around, kicking up a small dust storm. Somehow, when the dust clears he is laying on his back and Slash is sitting comfortably on his stomach.

Remove ads