• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Return to Keep on the Borderlands: IC

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Maraliss whirls around to face Veir, her face red with frustration, Would you and your animal please stop that annoying racket for one minute so we can finish speaking? With a huff, she then turns back to the clergyman and Danello. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to lose my temper. It's just that I can barely hear myself think over that. I would be more than happy to attempt a rescue of the helm. But you must understand our first loyalty lies with the caravan. If we cannot recover it within a reasonable amount of time, we will be forced to abandon our search and return. I would say we can afford to be away no longer than two days. Danello, do not worry. We shall not take any unnecessary risks, but we ought to do right by the holy man in this caravan whose goods have been mishandled.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Veir looks at Maraliss and shrugs. He only stands still momentarily as soon after his scolding he sees Slash run into the brush and gives chase, falling more than once along the way.

[sblock=mfrench] I'd like to have Slash start to try to find a scent (if he can) and begin to track. I just want to act crazy, not be useless lol.[/sblock]

WarShrike

First Post
Redclaw said:
Perrin turns his measuring gaze on the ranger. There are times when that might be harder than you think.

"Certainly. Heavy rains for one can wash out a trail, snowfall, and anything that swings through the trees or flies is notoriously hard to track. But 2 men carrying a box shouldn't be much of a problem. Finding a trail is less difficult, catching up to them, considering i don't run as fast as you big people, might be." says Risse.

mfrench

First Post
Danello informs Risse, "Yes, it looks like the thieves were here as guards. At least, the two guards are the only ones we can confirm are missing. The Master is quick to point out that wagon passengers weren't documented, however. There might have been someone hiding there, and managed to take out two guards, and hide their bodies . . . but the two missing guards are the primary suspects."

Looking to Maraliss, "As for being away from the caravan, we should arrive at the Keep by mid-afternoon. If you can succeed quickly, you way very well rest at the Inn tonight. Too much dawdling, however, might earn another night on the road."

Risse manages to find the Caravan Master, who is roving about the camp, making preparations to get moving for the day. He doesn't seem entirely enthused about answering all the questions, either. He weakly repeats his theory that thieves hid among the pilgrims, and killed two of his guards. At the hint that he is hedging, and might be involved, he seems to relent, and answers in a lowered voice. "Look, we took on a few extra guards at the humble request of His Holiness back there -- he insisted we increase security. There were slim pickins to be found of guards with any real experience. He forced me to bring in some . . . less than reputable help. The two missing were of that sort. I'll not be held responsible if the men he insisted protect his cargo ran off with it.

"Those two kept to themselves. Thick guys, a human and a halfling. Didn't take to riding well; their mounts are still here. Armed with short blades, just like the rest of the guard. Paid a fair sum for the trip, both ways. They received a pittance up front, were to receive half of their sum today at the keep. If they're anything like our regular guard, they'd spend it on booze and entertainment, then blow the rest when we return to Loftwick.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I'd like to get headed out before some real serious thieves find us out here like sitting ducks."

On the way back to the group, Risse runs into Veir and Slash; feeling a bit unappreciated, they'd spread out and have managed to locate a trail headed north into the forest.

Arkhandus

First Post
Rautham Cranston, human wizard

Rautham sighs after all the ruckus, but some answers are finally given. "Well, can we get started tracking down the thieves? Assuming one of you can?" The young mage is looking impatient and ready to leave, but doesn't want to aggrivate any of the short-tempered warriors here....

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Veir hops up and down at Rautham's question. He points to Slash then points north.

ooc: Okay, so it's looking like Veir will be mute. He's just too funny to me to say anything and ruin it. Lemme know if it annoys anyone and I'll tone him down.

Redclaw

First Post
Perrin glides along the trail the dwarf and badger blaze for them, silently sizing up each of his companions. Finally he says quietly, so that only those around him can hear, This isn't the setting where I'm most effective, but I'm sure I can scout ahead when we get closer. It would be interesting to see if I can recover the idol without the thieves' knowledge.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Well if we are headed off the beaten path, I'm going to leave some of my load with the caravan so I can move more swiftly. Maraliss relinquishes her backpack and most of her provisions, save for her crossbow, bolts, bullseye lantern, and a pint of oil (this plus her armor puts her exactly at light encumbrance). The crossbow stays unwound and slung across her shoulder. Well, please do lead the way someone. I'm no tracker and I am certainly not one of the wilderness. I'd just get us lost if I were to guide us.

mfrench

First Post
Danello secures Maraliss' belongings in the carriage.

Risse judges the tracks to be left by two humanoids, with the occasional bootprint to be found. They haven't bothered trying to disguise their tracks, or else they have done so with extreme incompetance. OOC: She figures the forest floor is standard Firm Ground; the DC is 15 (more or less), and her modifier is 5; if she takes 10, she can follow it at half speed without fail. If she wants to go at her regular speed, it is at a -5 penalty; at double speed, it is a -20 penalty.

Is there some sort of marching order that people want to follow? A general one will do, I don't particularly need it on a grid.

Remove ads