• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Return to Temple without Arcane Caster?

azhrei_fje

First Post
I agree with the others who said to play what you want to play.

If your DM is strict about details (as I am!) such as vision, weight, encumbrance, and so on, don't play a human. Much of the Crater Ridge Mines is done in the dark. I would think that a dwarf paladin would be good for that reason.

The party I DM currently has the following:

half-orc barbarian
dwarf paladin (St. Cuthbert)
gnome wizard
dwarf wizard
human cleric (St. Cuthbert)
halfling rogue/wizard

This has been a very good mix for them, although we have a new player joining the group and they existing players all told him they want him to play a *TANK*! I admit that I've had 5 PC deaths and the group has gone from level 4 to level 7 (they *just* reached 7 during the last session).

This group puts the dwarf paladin out front as a "scout", so to speak, and the dwarf wizard in the rear, to "watch their backs". The paladin has a griffon as his special mount, so at the end of their "day", they load all their loot onto the griffon and the paladin dismisses it. In some ways, better than a haversack. :)

A PC with a high Wisdom might do well to take a single level of monk (+2 on all saves, add Wis modifier to AC) if they can get bracers of armor or a wand of mage armor. A single level of cleric with the Magic domain would allow the use of all divine or arcane items (unless prevented by level requirement; things like wands become usable).

beaver1024

First Post
A cleric or druid would be a better choice than a sorcerer or a barbarian. Simply because the clerics/druids outclass sorcerers and barbarians for power. However the previous posters are right. Play whatever you feel comfortable with. D&D 3.5 has made it such that arcane casters are luxuries in a party anyway so you don't have to have arcane casters unlike divine casters.

seans23

First Post
Andre said:
My personal opinion, having played through the module: do NOT play a wizard. Your spell selection will be pretty limited, unless the GM is willing to adapt the module.

Any big city will have plenty of scrolls for a wizard to buy, if he's looking to add spells to his spellbook.

Andre

First Post
seans23 said:
Any big city will have plenty of scrolls for a wizard to buy, if he's looking to add spells to his spellbook.

I don't want to give anything away - I'll just say this was not an option when we ran through the module. I don't doubt that other GM's have run it differently.

Rabelais

First Post
I appreciate the help. I think my decision is probably to go with the Warrior. When/If things go south, I might switch over to the Sorceror.

seans23

First Post
Rabelais said:
I appreciate the help. I think my decision is probably to go with the Warrior. When/If things go south, I might switch over to the Sorceror.

Why not go with war mage? (Complete Arcane) You'll be a sorceror who can wear light armor. Plus you can add your intelligence modifier to any damage from spells.

I really want to try out a war mage. I might have to add a warmage villain to RTTTOEE.

Endur

First Post
Then your GM ran a non-standard adventure. The module lists a big city for big ticket magic items as well as a scroll store in the starting town.

Andre said:
I don't want to give anything away - I'll just say this was not an option when we ran through the module. I don't doubt that other GM's have run it differently.

I agree that the bottom line is you should play what you want - so long as it doesn't conflict with what someone else wants to play.

The key is that the party needs to recognize when they have a weakness (e.g. no arcane spellcaster) and develop tactics accordingly. If you don't do that, you're in for a world of hurt...

If you go with the half-orc fighter, you could take 1 level in Wizard. Get a wand of Shield and a wand of True Strike. A True Stiked Power Attack is a great way to start a combat. You could also pick up a familiar--a bat would make a great scout for that module.

My group did fine without an arcane caster for a while. But they were mostly a sneack, persuade, bribe, and con bunch--not your typical dungeon crawlers.

Last edited:

Remove ads