Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

DragonLancer

Adventurer
It's not that bad. I ran it back shortly after it came out. Never finished it though as part way through we had a TPK. It's a simple dungeon crawl and theres nothing wrong with that if you enjoy them.

Finster

First Post
I don't have this module, but...

Last night I went through my RPG collection too and compared what I had with the "going price" on EBay. A good deal of this stuff varies wildly in value. I can't figure out why some of it is going for such a high price (like the Bloodstone, or Spider Queen stuff) either. Most of the expensive items are things I bought, cracked open, and set on a shelf. Now I'm wondering if I missed something!

I was thinking of going back and revisiting some of these books, but now that I'm older, I don't have the time (other than just before bed) to read and digest them. I also don't have the space for spreading out the huge maps where pets and kids won't trample them. And since they're valuable now I want to preserve them as well as possible.

Is there a place I can go to find out what I should be looking for in some of these books? Back in the olden days there was not an Enworld around for reviews and such, so much of this stuff (like the Greyhawk setting supplements) is still pretty opaque to me.

bolen

First Post
Finster said:
I don't have this module, but...

Last night I went through my RPG collection too and compared what I had with the "going price" on EBay. A good deal of this stuff varies wildly in value. I can't figure out why some of it is going for such a high price (like the Bloodstone, or Spider Queen stuff) either. Most of the expensive items are things I bought, cracked open, and set on a shelf. Now I'm wondering if I missed something!

I was thinking of going back and revisiting some of these books, but now that I'm older, I don't have the time (other than just before bed) to read and digest them. I also don't have the space for spreading out the huge maps where pets and kids won't trample them. And since they're valuable now I want to preserve them as well as possible.

Is there a place I can go to find out what I should be looking for in some of these books? Back in the olden days there was not an Enworld around for reviews and such, so much of this stuff (like the Greyhawk setting supplements) is still pretty opaque to me.
I think I know why bloodstone goes for so much. (I think) It is the last 1st edition product. I sold mine for a pretty penny at Gen Con a couple of years ago.

Agamon

Adventurer
It's only as dungeon-crawly as the DM allows it to be. My players did a lot of stuff outside the temple in between incursions (of course, though, that let the temple forces recoup and set up).

The intrigue in the temple itself (as opposed to much of the mines...there was some interesting stuff going on there, but most of it was straight forward) was great. Granted, it isn't explicitly spelled out in the adventure, but the possibility is there. The clerics, the dragon, the drow, and most importantly, Thrommel, made the module a real roleplaying delight. And that climactic fight at the end was incredible!

Thrommel

First Post
As Agamon says, there are opportunities for intrigue and RP in the module, but you have to set your players up for them. Every large "dungeon crawl" area has multiple factions that can be played off each other if your group is just willing to eschew a "kick in the doors" approach in favor of a little stealth and subterfuge.

But since most people pick it up as a sequel to an old-skool module, they tend to take an old-skool approach.

The conversion document KingCrab linked to was created by the community over here. If you're looking for DM-ing advice specific to RttToEE, it's a great resource. Conversions, campaign logs, FAQ, etc.

-Thrommel, yes, THAT Thrommel.

Glyfair

Explorer
bolen said:
I think I know why bloodstone goes for so much. (I think) It is the last 1st edition product. I sold mine for a pretty penny at Gen Con a couple of years ago.

Actually, I think it's because it's the only module that covers up to level 100. That and the appearance of Orcus.

bolen said:
so I looked it up on ebay to see what I could sell it for. Wow. it is worth $50.00 +.

Well, yes and no. That's what people are asking for it. But it's only "worth" that much if they can sell it. Last I saw, nobody selling for that price had any bids (though of course that could've changed by now).

Finster

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
But it's only "worth" that much if they can sell it. Last I saw, nobody selling for that price had any bids (though of course that could've changed by now).

Right.

This why I will not be selling those modules and accessories in an EBay auction (that, and because they're mine, ALL mine bwa ha ha! :] ).

Remove ads