Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

green slime

First Post
I've run it to completion.

In hindsight, I don't think it is very good at all. It just takes too long. Too much just slogging through the mines.

Vorput

First Post
dragonlordofpoondari said:
I could use a copy (and I wouldn't sell it off)!

Wonder if I could just stick it in a manilla envelope and mail it... dont want to get too fancy here... The post office scares me! ;)
E-mail me your address dragonlordofpoondari, I'll see what I can do.

Alternativly, if by chance you're going to be at Gencon on Sunday- I'll be there as well, and could give it to you.

Vorp

bolen

First Post
Vorput said:
Wonder if I could just stick it in a manilla envelope and mail it... dont want to get too fancy here... The post office scares me! ;)

Alternativly, if by chance you're going to be at Gencon on Sunday- I'll be there as well, and could give it to you.

Vorp
Your a nice guy, I have to admit I am not so nice (what does that make my alignment?) :lol: Noble Knight games has it for $75. http://www.nobleknight.com/searchresults.asp?search=return to the temple of elemental evil I assume that these people have some idea of how much used games are worth.

I have had fairly good luck in selling unused games which I don't play at Gen Con so I can buy new things I will never play :lol:

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
It has a rabid following (hence the conversion document and all the other stuff you can find for it online).

And it has real potential, as noted above, there are many great bits, and a good DM can really bring that potential.

But those mines do just go on and on. And on. Best to think of them as a series of dungeon modules (and they are moduler) that just happen to be next to each other. For a reason.

SavageRobby

First Post
Finster said:
Is there a place I can go to find out what I should be looking for in some of these books? Back in the olden days there was not an Enworld around for reviews and such, so much of this stuff (like the Greyhawk setting supplements) is still pretty opaque to me.

For 1st edition stuff, check here: http://www.acaeum.com/

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
On a slight derail, I never understood the 'collectability' of games. I think that the fact that games increase in value seems a little shady to me.

Of course, I have never played ToEe so I have no idea how great (or bad) it is.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I have it, didn't like it much. Too dungeon-crawley (which is my main complaint with the original), too many hodge-podge monsters there to provide an appropriate challenge rather than be particularly rational, makes too little sense within Greyhawk's content and feel.

As for why it goes for $50, that's not that much of a mark up over its initial $35 cost (if I remember its cover price right).
Personally, I try not to pay over cover price for anything that I don't have really fond memories of. Buying sight unseen or based on other people's reviews may rate cover price, but not a $75 collectible price. That's nuts.

Back when Magic was all the rage, prices at Gen Con for out of print materials sky-rocketed. You'd see things like 1st ed Oriental Adventures for $55. It was pretty crazy and, I'm sure, predicated on the idea that the market was primed for paying collectibility prices. I can tell you, I didn't buy much from the resellers those years. I couldn't afford to.

Vorput said:

Vorp

Holy frijoles!!!

That'd be great! :) I can't make it to GenCon this year, but I'll definitely shoot you my snail mail addy. Do you have a paypal account? I'd be happy to pay for shipping.

I pretty much have enjoyed everything that Monte has written. I have high hopes.

edit: Vorput, you're from Fort Wayne? my grandparents used to have a farm in Muncie! Beautiful country. They'd drive to Fort Wayne every week to eat at Winchester's (for fried chicken, steak, mashed potatos, and jello ... yum!). Is that place still there? Man, there were some good gaming stores in Muncie back in the 80's.

Last edited:

Remove ads