Review of Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster’s Forgotten Realms by Wizards of the Coast

so is this 4e or DDN or neither?

Evenglare

Adventurer
See this book is great, however what irritates me is not the book, but their take on editionless books. I'm a 4th edition supporter. I love it , I love pretty much any other edition as well. If they keep making editionless books, FANTASTIC !!! But you know they wont do this. When 5th edition (iteration... whatever) comes out every book will be geared towards that.

The same crap happened when the Eberron adventure guide came out beofre 4th edition. I'd ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT , if they stuck with editionless books however we all know that won't be the case sadly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Osgood

Adventurer
Sounds mildly interesting, but in the pantheon of stuff I don't care about, the Forgotten Realms looms like Zeus.

Sammael

Adventurer
The only even vaguely 4e thing I've noticed is the name of the unmasked Lord of Waterdeep who will succeed Piergeiron (I guess). The majority of the book is written as if the current year were Year of the Prince (1357 DR).

There may be more, though, I've only read something like 20 pages and scanned another 50.

JeffB

Legend
I bought this as a gift for my 13 yo son. I have now confiscated it, lol. I will have to order another copy. Awesome book, and I will be getting great use out of this in my pre TOT campaign. I was also glad to see a return to the 1/2E esque art..in the style of the peoples depicted. Very unlike the art done for any WOTC D&D product of the past 12 years. Think I will hwve to write a "way to go" message to WOTC CS.

Morik

First Post
I was just in my local Roleplay-Shop and had my hands on this supplement. Well, I must say, I do not like it. IMO it misses a section detaling the "New Realms" after the spellplaque... the really new realms as it represents itself now, say after the new books of R.A.Salvatore and such.

...cause, as it stands now, you have to gather all the bits of information out of the books of R.A. Salvatore or from Wiki-Realms and sources like that.

The information presenting in Ed Greenwoods new realm book may be a thing for new players or players that enjoy just everything realm-material but I was longing for an update-realms setting.

The information in that new supelment here is so outdated that I did go against my first urge to buy it outright the second I lay my eyes upon it.... sooooo...

For me it was very disappointing.

I mean... it's all nice and such... but a few words about the NEW REALMS had to be in it IMO. Better a whole section... or... still better AFTER every section one with the much needed update how the realms looks now.

This book is -for now- useless for me.

I didn't buy it for now... maybe later... I really dunno!

Rune

Once A Fool
Well, I must say, I do not like it. IMO it misses a section detaling the "New Realms" after the spellplaque... the really new realms as it represents itself now, say after the new books of R.A.Salvatore and such.

...The information in that new supelment here is so outdated that I did go against my first urge to buy it outright the second I lay my eyes upon it.... sooooo...

But it's called Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms. Why would he include all of that other stuff?

JeffB

Legend
Thanks. Please write more, if you have new informations.

There are a few words about Manshoon clones in the 1400s. Just a couple of sentences.

But it's called Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms. Why would he include all of that other stuff?

Exactly. I notice Cyric got a very small blurb that basically says he is screwed and his time lwill be up soon. Far more info about some of the gods that got the gloss over or nixed during tbe spellplague era.. Tyr, Lathander (no aumaaumanamawhatever), etc. Its obvious how different Eds realms are, and most likely the blurb about Cyric was to appease fans/WOTC. Ed has stated several times that the TOT never happened in his game.

I suspect there are several "hints" in the book about the Sundering and post Sundering Realms. Just like the hints in Cloak & Dagger and Monsters of Faerun before the 3e FRCS came out.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads