D&D 5E Review of New Players Handbook Posted at Acts of Geek...

Kinak

First Post
The condition sketches are really cute.

I also like this: "an appendix detailing the many creatures/monsters that a PC may find themselves needing the stats for." Off-loading PC abilities into the monster books never sat well with me.

Cheers!
Kinak

Last edited:

ST

First Post
Doesn't really seem fair to call this article a review -- it's just a physical description of the book and a couple of photos from the inside.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I also like this: "an appendix detailing the many creatures/monsters that a PC may find themselves needing the stats for." Off-loading PC abilities into the monster books never sat well with me.
I had been wondering what that appendix was all about, ever since we saw the full TOC. I agree with you, I much prefer having PC animals (mounts, companions, etc...) in the PHB.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Doesn't really seem fair to call this article a review -- it's just a physical description of the book and a couple of photos from the inside.
More is to come the first review is about the look design and layout of the book as the article says;

''Acts of Geeks has gotten their hands on a copy and over the course of the next few days we’ll be reviewing the Player’s Handbook (PHB). First up, the look, design and layout of the book.''

Raith5

Adventurer
The condition sketches are really cute.

Cheers!
Kinak

Yeah good news. Outlining the basic stats of monsters is one of the things I really loved about the AD&D DMG back in the day. I still hope there is more to monsters than just these stats (ala 4e monsters) but it is good to be able to eyeball the basic stats.

Xorne

First Post
Yeah good news. Outlining the basic stats of monsters is one of the things I really loved about the AD&D DMG back in the day. I still hope there is more to monsters than just these stats (ala 4e monsters) but it is good to be able to eyeball the basic stats.

After getting the 13th Age Beastiary I want the 5E MM to be something on par with that book--but I know that's pretty unrealistic as it's hands down the best monster manual I've ever seen. I'm not saying the 5E MM is going to be sub-par (I'm really feeling optimistic about this edition), but the 13A Beastiary really spoiled me.

Remove ads