• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Revised 4E Wizard Class with Freeform Spellcasting System

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hey all! :)

My goals were to eliminate 4E rules bloat for classes and create a more freeform spellcasting system.

The article in question is here:

Revised 4E Wizard Class Eternity Publishing

Let me know what you think.

Edit: I'll add a link to the Revised 4E Fighter v2 in this first post as well.

http://eternitypublishing.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/revised-4e-fighter/

Just found this after finding eternitypublishing site out in the wild....

I am wondering if this wouldnt make an interesting foundation for a 4.5e.

MwaO

Adventurer
Just found this after finding eternitypublishing site out in the wild....

I am wondering if this wouldnt make an interesting foundation for a 4.5e.

Math is severely off. +2 area for -1 die? Level 19 Wizard can disintegrate in an area 3 burst as an encounter option? i.e. do Encounter attack, AP: Encounter attack - anything you hit twice is dead…

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Math is severely off. +2 area for -1 die? Level 19 Wizard can disintegrate in an area 3 burst as an encounter option? i.e. do Encounter attack, AP: Encounter attack - anything you hit twice is dead…

I was wondering, it definitely takes math savvy to pull off the idea well.

MwaO

Adventurer
I was wondering, it definitely takes math savvy to pull off the idea well.

You don't do dice as a point mechanism. You build powers around say effect+type where Wizards are good at adding additional targets via Area Bursts/Close Blasts. Take the powers that Daze at level 3 as an example:
Prismatic Spray - Wizard close blast 5
Words are Not Enough - Cleric 2 targets, melee
Predator's Flurry - Druid 2 targets+baked in shifting+melee
Thundering Strike - Warden 1 target, melee, typed
Astral Flare - Cleric, Close burst 3!, but does no damage

Each of them do similar things, but the Warden gets dinged because it is both the toughest overall class and it helps give an OA if the target wants to ignore the Warden anyway. So what can we take from it:
Clerics who do no damage at all get Controller style options in terms of area of effect.
Wizards get stuff with Area & Close Blast options
Druids can get baked in movement for multi-targeting

Etc...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You don't do dice as a point mechanism. You build powers around say effect+type where Wizards are good at adding additional targets via Area Bursts/Close Blasts.
Wizards seem to embed a lot of class ability in the powers themselves. (instead of having class features that affect the powers)

Although the mage seemed to give both the embedded and strong class features. (because wizards needed an upgrade)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Speaking of class features perhaps clerics could have a class feature that makes the power more ally friendly.

Martial type does an area effect could be a berserk style one which is not ally friendly or a controlled one which is ... depending on features.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You don't do dice as a point mechanism. You build powers around say effect+type where Wizards are good at adding additional targets via Area Bursts/Close Blasts. Take the powers that Daze at level 3 as an example:
Prismatic Spray - Wizard close blast 5
Words are Not Enough - Cleric 2 targets, melee
Predator's Flurry - Druid 2 targets+baked in shifting+melee
Thundering Strike - Warden 1 target, melee, typed
Astral Flare - Cleric, Close burst 3!, but does no damage

Etc...

His concept also does not seem cross class....so you could make daze cost more for a defender class and similar things.

Remove ads