• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Revised 4E Wizard Class with Freeform Spellcasting System

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I'm considering changing all "Save ends" spells to "Until the end of your next turn" and making (Save ends) double the modifier (-1 becomes -2, -2 becomes -4 etc.)

So stun would be -2, but to make it save ends it becomes -4.

What do you think?

I think its highly debatable that save ends effects are significantly tougher than end of turn effects. Sure, they can theoretically last longer, but there are escapes built into the system to get out of save ends effects early. End of next turn effects often have no such backdoor. You pretty much are stuck.

Hey Neonchameleon! :)

Neonchameleon said:
I'd assumed 0 dice was int-mod (as with Beguiling Strands) and -1 dice was no damage. And you need to define how walls work. Just in wall or adjacent for reduced damage. And autohit or not.

Yes I need to have a few things better defined. I was thinking that:

0 dice = No damage
-1 dice = Can't cast this spell

But I suppose simply having Int-mod damage for 0 dice works okay.

Hey Chris! :)

Chris Knapp said:
I posted a system a few years ago that we used for Dragonlance games to mimic the old SAGA rules. Needs work, but maybe you can use some of it.

Thanks for the link, I guess great minds think alike. :cool:

I can't decide if I want to play a Brontomancer or an Oxymancer. :D

Howdy Dragonblade! :)

Dragonblade said:
Wow! Absolutely amazing! :)

Cheers amigo! :eek:

I like what you did with the 4e fighter as well.

The Revised Fighter v2.0 I'll have up on the website within a few days.

If 5e looks anything like what you have done here, I would be completely sold on it.

Me too. :p

I think its highly debatable that save ends effects are significantly tougher than end of turn effects. Sure, they can theoretically last longer, but there are escapes built into the system to get out of save ends effects early. End of next turn effects often have no such backdoor. You pretty much are stuck.

I think we have to look at Monsters here rather than PCs and I think against Monsters save ends effects could be a bit tasty. That said I understand your point, but I have a hard time thinking that on average "save ends" is not better than "Until the end of your next turn". Maybe the difference is minimal though...?

Perhaps I could have Upgrades to save ends that give either a -2 penalty on saves or a -5 penalty on saves.

Jools

First Post
Thanks for that Upper Krust, it looks amazing. I am curious though, where did you get your damage dice/numbers from? Did you just intuit them?

Baumi

Adventurer
Great Work! 8D

I only miss some Options for Summoning, but I don't think that Summoners worry about complexity anyway :p

Jools said:
Thanks for that Upper Krust, it looks amazing.

Thanks Jools! :)

I am curious though, where did you get your damage dice/numbers from? Did you just intuit them?

I do this sort of stuff for fun. When you can devise a Challenge Rating System for 3E that works to 3 decimal points you realise that, by comparison the 4E math is kindergarten level*. ;)

*as it should be.

Baumi said:
Great Work! 8D

Thanks Baumi (and thanks SensoryThought)! :)

I only miss some Options for Summoning, but I don't think that Summoners worry about complexity anyway :p

Well the Wizard class in 4E doesn't do that much summoning, but I will endeavour to create a simple mechanic for summoning in Version 2.0.

I much prefer a smaller group of iconic classes than a laundry list of classes that blur every possible distinction.

Actually meant to say I should (fingers crossed) have the Revised Fighter 2.0 up on the website by late tomorrow night.

Remove ads