• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revised DR

Zenon

First Post
Victim said:
The revised edition shouldn't require as many house rules as the previous one.

I agree. I have very few house rules now. If they can lessen that even further I'd like it.

Now if they just rename the "5' step" to "Combat Adjustment" I'll cheer...that little misnomer has caused more confusion than AoO's!

I really can't wait to get a look at the revisions and see if they're as good as I hope they will be.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I actually like this idea for DR too. It does bother me that silver weapons are basically useless for fighting lycanthropes past fifth level or so: by then, parties are usually going to have magic weapons that are one-size-fits-all. I think it adds some cool flavor to the game if some creatures are immune to attacks from most sources.

I think you could fix the pit fiend problem by ruling that holy swords ignore any DR of evil outsiders, or that bane weapons ignore the DR of their favored creatures, or the like. I'd figure that was worked into the item's magic; I think this solution would preserve the cool flavor without making bane and holy weapons useless.

Daniel

IceBear

Explorer
Yeah, we are seeing the rules in a vacuum. They may have changed certain powers as well. There may be a passage under "Bane" that states that Bane weapons overcome the DR of any creature the Bane applies to, so I will withhold further judgement until then.

I just don't want it to come to the point where you have to carry around 4 or 5 swords of different materials just to function properly.

IceBear

Apok

First Post
I actually like the proposed changes to DR, provided there is some consistency and logic applied. Mostly because of the fact that Silver DR & Cold Iron DR are useless since getting a +1 weapon is easy.

This new system will (hopefully) make creatures like Lycanthropes and Fey more dangerous. It also makes the game more flavorful, as Pielorinho mentioned. Awesome ideas, btw, Piel.

esorek

First Post
IceBear said:
There may be a passage under "Bane" that states that Bane weapons overcome the DR of any creature the Bane applies to...
IceBear

Or even better that "Bane" weapons targeting critters whose DR can only be overcome by a specific material have to be made from that material, not only would this add more flavor to the weapon it will also be reflected in the weapon's pricing.

IceBear

Explorer
esorek said:

Or even better that "Bane" weapons targeting critters whose DR can only be overcome by a specific material have to be made from that material, not only would this add more flavor to the weapon it will also be reflected in the weapon's pricing.

Yup, though I'm not sure if there are generic categories of Bane that might have creatures affected by two different materials (I haven't looked at the bane list and I haven't seen what materials affect what creatures).

Anyway, I'm less opposed to this DR change than I was before. Still, this was one area that I didn't expect such a radical change in, so it kinda caught me off guard. It was one thing to say that they would make creatures with certain abilities (like skeletons) follow a consistent method, and another to make a sweeping change.

IceBear

Mortaneus

First Post
Personally, I don't like the DR thing. I've seen a single Molydeus wipe the floor with a 20th level 2nd Ed party because nobody had a cold-iron weapon, despite the fact that they were loaded to the gills with +4 and +5 weapons.

This sounds like more of the same. It's not fun as a PC to have your butt kicked because you didn't have the proper metal on you. It results in a lot more metagaming. Currently, you at least have a chance against high DRs with the greater magic weapon spells and such. Those won't help against the DR changes they're proposing, though.

IceBear

Explorer
From reading the haste spell changes that were mentioned, I really think if you start using the d20 Modern versions of some spells you'll already be using the revised versions.

IceBear

Spatzimaus

First Post
I like the changes... most of them, anyway.

DR 5/blunt? Just fine, although how would you write the reverse, i.e. "take 5 less from blunt weapons"? Would it be 5blunt/- or 5/!blunt? Or would you just give it both 5/slashing and 5/piercing?

The silver thing? Not a problem, IF you live in a campaign where every item is made of special materials. If you assume that every weapon that's +3 or stronger will be made of silver (at that cost, why wouldn't you?), then the problem goes away.
IMC we started using an exotic material system a while back. This new change should be easy to integrate.

The Haste change does one interesting thing: it makes Psions MUCH stronger, since they can still Schism to cast extra spells, although that spell has enough limitations to keep it balanced.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads