• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revised DR

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Spatzimaus said:

The silver thing? Not a problem, IF you live in a campaign where every item is made of special materials. If you assume that every weapon that's +3 or stronger will be made of silver (at that cost, why wouldn't you?), then the problem goes away.
I think you're missing the point. If all your weapons are silver, the problem only goes away until you run into something that requires a material other than silver. You'll still have difficulty hurting a fey with DR 10/coldiron, or a great wyrm with DR 25/mithril, or [insert monster] with DR 50/bratwurst. There are multiple special materials, so you'll need to carry one weapon of each type if you want to be safe.

Note that this change also has the potential to significantly weaken archers*. If they have to carry arrows tipped with every possible special material, only a fraction of their ammo will be usable in any given situation. Trips back to the local bowyer will become a frequent necessity.

[* People can argue whether nerfing archers is a feature or a bug. I'm gonna stay out of the whole debate.]

reiella

Explorer
Well to me, the idea would be silly of making a +5 Holy Demon Bane weapon that wasn't silver given that situation. Especially seeing how cheap silver is relative to the +5 Holy Demonbane aspect :).

It also gives meaning to the Fighter diverse weapon proficencies, afterall, the war-cleric only gets one martial.

There's also the one example.
Pit Fiend, 15/holysilver as opposed to 25/+2.

Expect Bless Weapon to be changed as well with this (elsewise, it completely trivializes the change to holysilver :p). It becomes alot easier to break their DR at least if you're prepared (and it's easier to breach the lower DR).

Spec though, will have to wait and see for my opinion :).

Victim

First Post
Based on 2e, one kind of fiend was hurt by cold iron, and the other was silver. What do you make your fiend-bane sword out of?

Conaill

First Post
Talk about backwards compatibility! All of a sudden, every Fighter is now going to have to redo his equipment. I would hope that most DM's will allow their players to upgrade their wepons for free, otherwise we're going to see a lot of worthless Holy Avengers out there...

I'm also hoping they'll have some rules for alloys. E.g. an adamantine / mithril alloy gains the benefits of both materials (no stacking though), but costs extra cost for both materials are added as well. No more than two metals allowed in an alloy. Would that seem reasonable?

shilsen

Adventurer
I'm all for the change to DR. I don't think it'll cause anywhere near the amount of problems people in this thread are expecting, and it adds flavor and tactical decision-making, both of which I like. Change to Haste sounds fine too, esp. since it's almost exactly the house rule I'm using :D And taking out partial actions and clarifying AoOs can only be an improvement.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
I also like what I am hearing about DR. Great idea. I cannot wait to see how it is all fleshed out. I noticed he said that rangers will not be so frontloaded with the feats. I wonder how they will "fix" that? Good riddance to partial actions. :D

Rill

First Post
So now GMW won't be the end-all be-all spell that it currently has become. That leaves a whole lot of room for other useful spells that could be distributed among the classes. Maybe Paladins can now transmute their weapon to holysilver for 1 min/level. Maybe a Ranger can cast transmute wood to silver. Will wizards start adding the spell Transmute Metal to their spellbooks instead of haste? Maybe, maybe not. *shrug* Just remember that we can't see the whole picture yet.

-Rill

RedSwan78

First Post
stupid...

Sorry all, I see this possible change as *stupid*.

I mean, the whole "silver weapon" thing.. Well, you need a silver weapon to hurt it, because it is a magical creature, right? Hmm.. what is a magical sword?

To ME, a "Magical Sword" is just that, it's MAGICAL. It is bursting with the essence of magic! Meta-game thinking tells you it's "Just a +1 weapon" does your character know that? No, your character knows that it is a *magical* sword that helps him hit easier and do more dmg to things. Why would a magical weapon NOT harm a creature just because it isn't made of the proper alloy? (silver).. Doesn't the magical-ness of the sword overcome that?

Sorry, just don't see anything wrong with lycanthropes being harmed by +1 weapons.. ::shrugs::

Spatzimaus

First Post
AuraSeer said:

I think you're missing the point. If all your weapons are silver, the problem only goes away until you run into something that requires a material other than silver. You'll still have difficulty hurting a fey with DR 10/coldiron, or a great wyrm with DR 25/mithril, or [insert monster] with DR 50/bratwurst. There are multiple special materials, so you'll need to carry one weapon of each type if you want to be safe.

Didn't miss the point, that was one of the things I LIKE about the rule. You now need multiple weapons, which might keep people from using Greatswords for everything. My point was, every high-end magic weapon will already be made out of one of these materials, so it's not like you have to carry your +4 sword AND a silver one AND a cold iron AND ...; that +4 might be +4 silver, removing the need for one "specialty" material.

Besides, DR 50/bratwurst might make you immune to weapon attacks, but there's still Fireball to worry about. And, if someone somehow manages to find the Holy Bratwurst of Antioch you're in for a world o' hurt.

I'm sure you could come up with an Alloy rule (like Conaill talks about), although I'd think they'd include something like this from the start. I'd also go with the Bane modification someone mentioned earlier (acts as if the weapon were the correct material).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads