• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revised DR

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Assuming the designers didn't go crazy on the amount of materials involved, I really like the change to DR; especially with Andy Collin's news that the amount of DR has dropped pretty much across the board.

A +5 weapon should not be the "be all-end all", it should be the best under most circumstances; it's a good idea to throw the players for a loop every once in a while.

Last edited:

Andion Isurand

First Post
I agree with Mort,

Furthermore, I also think that the changes to DR are a good thing because it is more honest to the classic creatures of old and their respective mythologies.

This helps the mythical and bizarre creatures that color the fantasy genre, within the context of the d20 3rd Ed D&D system, regain some of the flavor they once had.

Now, the classic creatures of old that decide to make appearances in the new novels written about today's campaign settings, will remain closer to same old staples we have come to know and love them as.

Also, the spell 'Greater Magic Weapon' is no longer the only DR bypass spell needed.

Last edited:

nameless

First Post
I'm divided on the issue. On one hand, it makes knowledge of your enemy important. Whether this is good or bad is debatable. It also adds a little spice to normally mediocre things like werewolves. Due to the presence of GMW spells and such, most DR is trivial to high level parties. So making them diversify is a good thing.

I would also assume that most things with alternate-DR would only have 5/something, like the skeleton does. So it makes them resistant to damage, but still easily damagable. Only staples like Lycanthropes would have something on the order of 15/silver or Sidhe might have 15/cold iron. If demons had DR of 25/+3 and 5/holy silver on top of that, they would still be challenging, but easily beatable without holy silver.

So, here's hoping that they properly balance the weird DR things and don't have fighters carry Ehlonna's Golf Bag o' Swords to fend everything off.

Andion Isurand

First Post
here's a spell from the WotC website

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20020130a

Silvered Weapon
Transmutation
Level: Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Pal 1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: One weapon or projectile
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None

You transform a single weapon or projectile into a silvered weapon or silvered projectile. A silvered weapon or projectile functions as a normal item of its type, except that silvered weapons or projectiles can hurt some creatures that can resist damage from normal weapons, such as werewolves.

Material Component: A silver coin.

Mortaneus

First Post
A couple of problems with the whole thing:

1. Fighter w/ caddy (mentioned earlier) - 'Cedrick, pass me my +3 Golem Cleaver if you would be so kind...'

2. Monks are screwed. Not only is their Ki strike gained so late as to be almost completely useless (maybe changed??), but now they've got to worry about DRs they can't penetrate even when they get it.

3. It makes the speedy fighters and dual-weapon types even less useful, because it puts the emphasis on one big powerful blow, rather than being able to whittle down an enemy with many quick attacks.

Personally, as a player, I would find this just plain annoying. I'd rather boost HPs to prolong the fight, or give it regen with vulnerabilities to only those metals, than using DR. Watching something heal before your eyes is bad, but you can deal with it. Watching your weapons bounce off, except from the most telling of blows, is just plain frustrating.

FireLance

Legend
In my opinion, the new DR system isn't a big deal. S&F already introduced the idea of Surestriking weapons which can penetrate up to DR/+5 for the low, low cost of a +1 weapon enhancement.

What's to stop some enterprising wizard from coming up with an Anymaterial enhancement, or a transmute material spell? You can bet it's going to happen before long.

You would then need at most one secondary weapon instead of a golf bag.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
I like it! Thank you Andy, I did a small double take seeing your post, most gracious.

With the lowering of DRs across the board, combined with the flavor-crunchines of weapon types, mmmm, D&D. As has been mentioned before I'll just throw my hat in and say I look forward to many/all of the revisions that have appeared thus far to be taking place with the revision. Wish it was summer already... ;)

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Andion Isurand said:
here's a spell from the WotC website

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20020130a

Silvered Weapon
Transmutation
Level: Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Pal 1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: One weapon or projectile
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None

You transform a single weapon or projectile into a silvered weapon or silvered projectile. A silvered weapon or projectile functions as a normal item of its type, except that silvered weapons or projectiles can hurt some creatures that can resist damage from normal weapons, such as werewolves.

Material Component: A silver coin.

So the whole special material resistance is negated by a CANTRIP. Yeah this is better:rolleyes:

Issalzul Syde

First Post
While I like the changes to the DR system, I don't like the fact at all that they are not very backwards-compatible.

I still gotta find the cash for the new books, and I gotta talk to the other DM who's playing a parralel campaign so we don't get screwed when the parties meet or all of a sudden he switches and the PC group get screwed up.

Remove ads