D&D 5E Revising a few feats for balance in my home game - Thoughts?

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Well for me, the problem with lucky is not the number of charges, its what it does to disadvantage, turning it into a massive advantage instead. With lucky, you actually do better when you are blind than when you aren't.
Yeah that was a silly ruling by the devs. Just ignore it. Instead roll for disad as normal, take the lowest, then roll one more for adv.

edit - then roll one more for lucky

Well for me, the problem with lucky is not the number of charges, its what it does to disadvantage, turning it into a massive advantage instead. With lucky, you actually do better when you are blind than when you aren't.

I'm not sure if the math works out on that. W disadvantage, you take the lesser of the rolls. Then you get to re-roll that one. So its basically "roll 3 times, drop highest, use second highest". I think that's worse than "roll twice, take better".

Valdier

Explorer
I'm not sure if the math works out on that. W disadvantage, you take the lesser of the rolls. Then you get to re-roll that one. So its basically "roll 3 times, drop highest, use second highest". I think that's worse than "roll twice, take better".

No, the Dev's have ruled that you just add another die and take the highest of the 3... that luck overrules disadvantage.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Lucky is fine... You are more effective blind than not... 3 times a day. The rest of the time you suck like everyone else.

I personally like taking the -5/+10 from feats and replacing it with +1 to a stat. Same for the extra attack for polearm master.

Weapon master being every martial weapon is good. As a dm I would rather not have players pass up magic weapons just because they can't use them, nor do I want to have to tailor weapons to the party.

I agree with martial adept needing more dice. You can't even use the two maneuvers you get with a single die.

Valdier

Explorer
I am considering changing heavy armor mastery to be

Heavy Armor Mastery - Increase to 4/5/6/7 at levels 5/10/15/20

I'm not sure that this would be too much, but I also wonder if it would truly make the PC immune to low CR hordes without crits. Thoughts?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I am considering changing heavy armor mastery to be

Heavy Armor Mastery - Increase to 4/5/6/7 at levels 5/10/15/20

I'm not sure that this would be too much, but I also wonder if it would truly make the PC immune to low CR hordes without crits. Thoughts?
I think you are underestimating how big of a deal 3 points of damage trimmed off of each appropriate source of damage is.

The characters I've seen with it haven't gotten up into really high levels (only around 8th thus far), but there have been quite a few battles in which the feat effectively added a 50%-100% boost to the character's HP total.

Valdier

Explorer
I think you are underestimating how big of a deal 3 points of damage trimmed off of each appropriate source of damage is.

The characters I've seen with it haven't gotten up into really high levels (only around 8th thus far), but there have been quite a few battles in which the feat effectively added a 50%-100% boost to the character's HP total.

Agreed, the reduced damage is a constant, where the problem comes in, is that monster damage scales quite rapidly, but the benefit continues to be static. At first level you are taking hits of 5ish damage, at 20th, you are taking hits for 20+ per hit. 3 points quickly stops being perceived as useful in those cases.

+10 damage is just too powerful. That is what it comes down to. I've seen dragons killed in a single round from this feat alone due to the massive burst of action surged dual wielders. It wasn't exciting, it was just +70 damage. That is what I want to eliminate completely. As written, it is so far beyond the power level of other feats as to become a must have in every game for every martial style character.
How?

It sounds like this feat may not actually be as powerful as you believe, since the above situation could not have happened without either ignoring the restrictions of the feat, or having houserules which specifically favour it. Both of these increase the power of the feat beyond what it is actually capable of in the rules.

Remove ads