D&D 5E Revisited Setting News: Its not the 2023 Classic setting, but rather for 2024

What book was this? As far as I recall the FRCS was 3E.

"Player’s Guide to Faerûn is a sourcebook for the Forgotten Realms using the Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 edition ruleset. It updates many rules from the 3rd-edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and provides additional and update spells, magic items, and prestige classes; expanded cosmology; psionics lore; adaptations for Book of Exalted Deeds and Book of Vile Darkness; and more."

It tried not to retread too much from 3e's FRCS because not that much changed and unlike the SCAG the FRCS was fairly comprehensive, although the PGtF expanded upon that and updated things that changed and filled in some blanks.

A 5.5e Setting book for FR will have ALOT more to do as alot has changed since the SCAG and the SCAG was extremely scant on details, not even having a proper full detailed map of Faerun!

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
2024 could even be both Greyhawk AND Forgotten Realms, they want the 50th anniversary to be a big thing, and the Freelancer pools should be much bigger.
Hmmm... 2024 is also:
Dragonlance's 40th anniversary (1984)
Spelljammer's 35th anniversary (1989)
Planescape's 30th anniversary (1994)

Dark Sun (1991) misses out on any special anniversary, but maybe they will have psionics hashed out in time for its 35th in 2026! :LOL:

GuyBoy

Hero
2024, the 50th Anniversary? Greyhawk has been visited in 5E in Ghosts of Saltmarah. Greyhawk 50th Anniversary Setting seems plausible.
I certainly hope it is Greyhawk. Part of this is, admittedly, a nostalgic desire on my part, but I also think it is objectively justified; the 50th Anniversary is certainly worthy of celebration and Greyhawk is the setting of those original days. It seems more fitting than any other setting.
I am aware that it is also 40th, 35th and 30th anniversaries of other settings too, but that doesn’t match with the 50th in terms of significance.
I’m also aware that Blackmoor was also there at the start as well as Greyhawk. I’d be just as happy for that one too, but can’t see it happening.

2024, the 50th Anniversary? Greyhawk has been visited in 5E in Ghosts of Saltmarah. Greyhawk 50th Anniversary Setting seems plausible.

Salt Marsh is no more a setting book then Curse of Strahd was and they never referred to VRGtR as a revisit, just as a classic setting, so it had to be a classic, none MtG setting book, that has received somekind of none adventure setting book previously in 5e, that left folks unsatisfied. That is FR. And yes I know I've guessed FR before, but I was right about everything except the timing (which is true of Forgotten Realms getting a Commander Legends btw).

Don't get me wrong, I think 2024 could still have Greyhawk as a nostalgia setting book as well, but Greyhawk isn't the face of D&D anymore, FR is, and Greyhawk hasn't been for a long time, so FR is pretty much a lock. Plus FR gets a new Campaign Setting Book EVERY major or Minor Edition change since it came out, without fail.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
He also said in the closing panel that another classic setting will be just barely touched on in a third book next year.

That sounds to me like an adventure anthology with a single adventure that visits a world that’s too generic to deign a full setting book. So, Dragonlance, or Greyhawk, or is Nerath “classic” now? The panel seemed to suggest that we’re getting the first new original D&D campaign setting since Eberron, meaning they don’t consider Nerath an original D&D setting so much as a generic set of assumptions for 4e home games?

He also said in the closing panel that another classic setting will be just barely touched on in a third book next year.

That sounds to me like an adventure anthology with a single adventure that visits a world that’s too generic to deign a full setting book. So, Dragonlance, or Greyhawk, or is Nerath “classic” now? The panel seemed to suggest that we’re getting the first new original D&D campaign setting since Eberron, meaning they don’t consider Nerath an original D&D setting so much as a generic set of assumptions for 4e home games?

The camoe is likely Spelljammer in a Forgotten Realms adventure. Am adventure where you visit Lantan before Spelljammer has been strongly hinted at for a long time.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

They previewed a draft cover for the next book to be announced, that features Boo, the minature Giant Space Hamster. D&D in [the Forgotten Realms] Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases