Unearthed Arcana Revived, Noble Genie and Archivist Revisited in UA

The latest Unearthed Arcana replaces the Revived, Noble Genie, and Archivist subclasses with new versions called the Phantom, the Genie, and the Order of Scribes. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/subclasses-revisited

The latest Unearthed Arcana replaces the Revived, Noble Genie, and Archivist subclasses with new versions called the Phantom, the Genie, and the Order of Scribes.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 11.29.27 PM.png

I think their naming abilities may have leveled up in the past year and a half (Kate Welch herself already proved way more capable of coming up with better names, she suggested "Ghosts of Saltmarsh" in her first week on the job, IIRC), actually, so we might get something outside that mold.
The adventures have always had decent names. The accessories... less so.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I like the concepts.
I think the damage substitues need some limits. Probably proficiency bonus per long rest or so. While I like the feature I would not like Force balls all over the place. It is nice as something you can pull out if needed desperately.
Yoou could also associate a cost to it. Take d6 psychic damage or lose a hit die per two spell levels rounded up.
I disagree with all of the bad reviews on damage type replacement. IME, damage type is less of a big deal in game than on forums. Most enemies don’t resist any damage types, tbh.

and many of those that do, also have vulnerabilities.

And it’s more fun to throw ice at the fire Elemental than force. People do what’s more fun.

I disagree with all of the bad reviews on damage type replacement. IME, damage t0ype is less of a big deal in game than on forums. Most enemies don’t resist any damage types, tbh.

and many of those that do, also have vulnerabilities.

And it’s more fun to throw ice at the fire Elemental than force. People do what’s more fun.

I am totally ok throwing an ice ball once in a while. I like that feature. I don't want it on a regular basis. Maybe an softer restriction would be in order. Once you used a spell to substitute, you can't use it again until you finosh a short rest. So it is not getting boring.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Strange thing about changing damage types, fireball still lights flammable objects on fire, even if you change its damage type to psychic, bludgeoning, or cold damage. It's kind of odd.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
We are clearly in cleanup right now, which is nice. The Handy Grey Box in the beginning of the document is implying you should hold class balance and multiclass related feedback, but that requires people to read the box and comply so we will see how well that goes.

Phantom (formerly Revived)
No longer are you updating your past life journal. Instead, you just get dead people stuck on you while you are out and about doing the typical adventuring stuff.

Whispers of the Dead
Mechanically, it's a floating tool or skill proficiency. Thematically, you can never have a moment of privacy ever again, even on the loo.

Wails from the Grave
Instead of the extra attempt at a sneak attack (which was kind of a kludge and a bit metagamy to get the best use out of) you basically get some psionic splash damage on your sneak attack, Proficiency times per day. The extra damage is really only good for getting rid of some minions, because it doesn't hurt the thing you damaged with your sneak attack but the interesting part is that it scales with Proficiency, meaning that this feature can be dipped into, and scales with your character level instead of your class level.

Tokens of the Departed
So, being the master rogue that you are, you can now steal people's souls. Which brings up all kinds of interesting metaphysical questions that are no doubt going to be glossed over: Can you resurrect someone who has been turned into a Soul Token? Can you Trade the Soul Token like a Soul Coin?

Anyway, having a Soul Token on your person grants you Advantage on Con Saving throws, and Death saving throws, which is nice. Also, you can destroy a token (and free the soul, at least that question is answered) to ask the soul a question that it must be concise about, but is under no obligation to be truthful about. Which means that every time you use this part of the ability the soul will tell you “Sod off!”, or a more colorful variation thereof. Really, this ability is useless if they aren't required to tell you something, even if it's a lie.

Ghost Walk
You can float like a ghost, flying and walking through walls, dope. Also creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls against you, which is a way better mechanical benefit for this level of play than “You have resistance to non-magical weapon damage.” It's a long rest power, but it can also be fueled by destroying a Soul Token, which finally gives you a reason to dust them beyond swapping out your collection.

Thoughts.
Kind of an edgelord, might be hard to justify why keeping someones soul in a trinket is anything but evil given that it's implied to be horrible for the soul.

The Genie
Your Elemental flavored friend patron.

Expanded Spell List
The big news here: Wish as a 9th level warlock spell. The first example of going beyond the traditional level list. Otherwise it's a standard pick of optional elemental themed spells, that unfortunately doesn't feature the Elemental Evil spells. A pity because free elemental cantrips would be rad.

Genie’s Vessel
Bottled Respite
It's a bag of holding that you wont suffocate in. Too bad it's only usable once per day, should be a short rest power in order to make the functionality of storing stuff in the vessel viable.

Genie’s Wrath.
It's free extra damage once per turn, The Dao is a bit out of left field here, as it's just bludgeoning damage as opposed to a real elemental type. It should be specified that this damage is magical in nature to get around resistances at least.

Elemental Gift
Damage resistance, fairly standard.

Also, concentration-less Flying as a bonus action? That's a bit advanced for this level, but with 30' speed I doubt it will be too game breaking. Then again warlocks can opt for the invocation that stretches the range of their Eldritch Blast, I suspect some DM's are going to have a problem with it.

Sanctuary Vessel
Now you can drag your friends into your pillow fort, and if they stick around they get a bonus to resting.

Limited Wish
Oh hey, it's that loremaster power refluffed as a Sha'ir power. Great capstone, but the 1d4 days between usages is a bit extreme.

Thoughts.
This is everything I would have imagined being put into a Genie flavored subclass (save for the Elemental Evil spells). Even the Wish Spell, while unprecedented, doesn't feel out of place or power.

Order of Scribes
The subclass of LeVar Burton.

Side note, with the death of the Archivist, there will be no scroll based artificer, a shame really, I felt with the “One artificer for every type of magic item” angle the class had really found a theme for moving forward. Also Onomancy is dead, no real surprise there though (the Psionics wizard was confirmed dead last UA). Wizard subclasses are really hard to get past the UA pipeline.

Wizardly Quill
A more powerful variation of the School Savant line of subclass abilities. With a bit of fluff that lets you become a graffiti artist. Still mostly a cost-saving power.

Awakened Spellbook
You can use your spellbook as a focus, though there is no reason to do so. Kind of a fluff power so far.

And then I see it, the damage swap power. Well there goes the subclass. Metamagic-like abilities are one thing that seems to be a hard no when it comes to getting Wizard Sublasses past UA. Mechanically speaking the ability to swap damage types isn't a huge boon, but as of right now I hold no expectations to see another incarnation of this subclass, let alone seeing it in print.

Finally, you get an extra spell slot that's used to cast your ritual spells once per day. Nice, can be used in combat sometimes even.

Master Scrivener
Another free spell slot, this time for level 1 or 2 spells, with a free upcast. It's a Scroll, let other people read it, you already let the cat out of the bag with Chronurgy giving other people spells to cast for you, so it's not like it's out of line.

The second half of this power is mostly a vestigial idea from the Archivist, because nobody uses crafting rules.

Manifest Mind
The return of the Archivist's pet, which nobody really grocked the first time around. This time it's a mobile sensor and Point of Origin for your spells. Basically making it a glorified familiar.

I'm a bit disappointed that they brought back the idea of a book Wizard, and looked at the Lore Wizard for The Genie Patron, but didn't bring back the Prodigious Memory power, which is the most bookish and wizardly power they have ever imagined. Though I suppose that's because they were trying to fit the flawed Archivist into a wizard subclass instead of just “Why don't we make a wizard that focuses on the spellbook?” Having a pet class that doesn't get a pet until level 10 is kind of wrong, for half of the game (the half that is the most played mind you) you don't get to mess around with the signature gameplay altering power of your subclass.

One with the Word
Cribbing a technique from the Echo Knight, you can swap places with your Pet.

Also there is a power that you are literally better off dying than using, where you can ignore death by permanently removing spells out of your book and being unable to relearn them until you Wish them back into your book. Just let the Cleric Revivify you, it's cheaper and less horrific than having magical brain-rot set in to prolong your life.

Thoughts.
I don't see this class making it. There is a problem with nearly every feature. Especially the Pet part of the subclass coming online too late, and the self-rez with an ironic twist that's strait out of The Twilight Zone.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
"Regarding other wizard subclasses, we can share that neither of the wizard subclasses we’ve presented in Unearthed Arcana recently—Onomancy and Psionics— will be moving forward in our development process, since they didn’t appeal to enough people and we can explore those subclasses’ themes in other ways."

C'mon Truenamer class.
Papa wants to enslave some fiends with no contracts.

Remove ads

Remove ads