Unearthed Arcana Revived, Noble Genie and Archivist Revisited in UA

The latest Unearthed Arcana replaces the Revived, Noble Genie, and Archivist subclasses with new versions called the Phantom, the Genie, and the Order of Scribes.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 11.29.27 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Not if they are inside the hold of the ship when it begins sinking. Or if something like a loop of rope or a sail drops on them and sinks before the entire ship is underwater.
You can position your bottle before you go into it. It takes more than a round for a ship to go down. Or have your familiar carry it to safety.

Chaosmancer

Legend
You can position your bottle before you go into it. It takes more than a round for a ship to go down. Or have your familiar carry it to safety.

Yeah, I know (if you have a familiar) but I wanted to point out that it isn't a permanent solution and that it might still run into some problems.

Also, it can be damaged, but it doesn't say if it is effected by environmental factors at all. I'm wondering if you could use it to wait out like a wildfire or something. Gut says yes, but not sure what mechanics say

G

Guest 6801328

I'm loving all these ideas. I'd love to see what creative players would come up with; the DM could easily rein it abuses.

"The giant's daughter bends over and picks something up. 'Oh, father....look at the lovely bottle!'"

Undrave

Legend

Or you have 1 ally capable of swimming, like a druid or one of the aquatic race. They carry the bottle with the rest of the party to safety.

ccooke

Adventurer
So... I think it's reasonable that something like a fire would certainly damage the vessel. It's immune to poison and psychic damage, and neither immune nor resistant to anything else - so, fire damage would destroy it.

So would bludgeoning damage, of course.

It's a tiny vessel, so it would be very light. You explicitly appear in unoccupied spaces nearby when it gets destroyed, and it says that objects inside "harmlessly" appears nearby.

So... tie it to a rock and use a trebuchet, anyone?

Chaosmancer

Legend
So... I think it's reasonable that something like a fire would certainly damage the vessel. It's immune to poison and psychic damage, and neither immune nor resistant to anything else - so, fire damage would destroy it.

So would bludgeoning damage, of course.

It's a tiny vessel, so it would be very light. You explicitly appear in unoccupied spaces nearby when it gets destroyed, and it says that objects inside "harmlessly" appears nearby.

So... tie it to a rock and use a trebuchet, anyone?

To the last idea, that is hilarious.

To the "tiny" part, remember that as a size category tiny refers to anything smaller than like two and a half feet. So a wrought iron cook pot would be "tiny" as well. And this is where I see the potential argument. A copper lamp for example has a decent chance of surviving a fire intact, and an iron or steel one would certainly be fine. So, when if fire hot enough to start damaging the equipment?

But, that is just me thinking too hard about physics, per RAW, tosing it in a campfire would destroy it. It just bothers me to see a steel, magical lamp get destroyed in the same cook fire that we use on our iron cooking pot every day.

ccooke

Adventurer
To the last idea, that is hilarious.

Travel in style, arrive with grace ;-)

To the "tiny" part, remember that as a size category tiny refers to anything smaller than like two and a half feet. So a wrought iron cook pot would be "tiny" as well. And this is where I see the potential argument. A copper lamp for example has a decent chance of surviving a fire intact, and an iron or steel one would certainly be fine. So, when if fire hot enough to start damaging the equipment?

But, that is just me thinking too hard about physics, per RAW, tosing it in a campfire would destroy it. It just bothers me to see a steel, magical lamp get destroyed in the same cook fire that we use on our iron cooking pot every day.

Well... the classic genie lamp isn't steel - they're generally brass, bronze or (occasionally) gold. Any of those could actually be melted in the heart of a decent campfire.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases