Rewatching the Batman movies

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I see the Zod thing as a "he did it to himself." As to Rocky the trucker he punched Clark first, then got spun.

Snyder went dark.
He did it to himself? :D

He crushed his own hand to pulp just to hear himself scream, and then threw himself down a pit, then collapsed a fortress on top of himself?

That's an interpretation, I guess.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I know, man. It sucks when Superman cold-bloodedly depowers, tortures, and then executes Zod.

But in his defence, at least afterwards he collapses a fortress on top of him to make sure. After he grins and gets a victory kiss from his girlfriend.

Is Zod dead? That's unknown to us. That's called "ambiguously dead" and that's a staple of comics. The villain gets into a situation or is put into a situation in which you can't imagine he can survive - and yet does the next time the writers need him.

With Man of Steel, there's no ambiguity and it's a harsh death.

That's a pretty big difference.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is Zod dead? That's unknown to us. That's called "ambiguously dead" and that's a staple of comics. The villain gets into a situation or is put into a situation in which you can't imagine he can survive - and yet does the next time the writers need him.
I don't want to repeat myself but...

So we've got "Zod killed himself" and "Zod isn't dead". Who's next? :D

Ryujin

Legend
He did it to himself? :D

He crushed his own hand to pulp just to hear himself scream, and then threw himself down a pit, then collapsed a fortress on top of himself?

It's a classic case of him being fooled into making himself irrelevant and then being removed from the scene. Dead? Alive? No longer a danger.

Orius

Legend
Of course, if Snyder really understood Superman, he'd have had him go to a diner and use his superpowers to beat up a trucker.

My old man always thought that scene was funny, but I think it's one of Superman II's many faults. Petty does not suit the Man of Steel.

so, I was googling how many times superman has killed and one of the headlines was "Manslaughter of Steel" lol

I think the biggest problem with that Man of Steel "Kill" was that ... we didn't know enough about this Superman to know whether he would go so far or not. The emotional impact on him killing someone would be bigger if he had seen a movie or two where he went out of his way to not do it.

The death of Zod is justified in that movie. He won't surrender, and he is just as strong and dangerous as Superman - he can't safely subdue him and give him to the authorities. The whole reason Superman doesn't kill generally is because he's... super. He is far beyond his enemies physically. But beating up and killing weaker people isn't exactly a hard thing to do in his situation, by usually going out of his way to avoid killing people, he is showing moral superiority. But against Zod, his only way to save people his to kill him.

Remove ads