Yup totally oout of character for sups to kill

Attachments

• main-qimg-81e946a6a61df77300d10218a7824620.png
    main-qimg-81e946a6a61df77300d10218a7824620.png
    458.7 KB · Views: 118

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I don't know what the context of those examples are, so I can't judge them,

Yes, given the content of all media for any and all audiences during Superman's 82-year history, he has killed.

The thing to remember is that older people grew up with a Superman who did not kill, or only under exceptionally weird or unusual circumstances, and in some of those cases the intent and/or outcome was questionable.

Because popular media is what it is, younger people have probably seen Superman kill more often than he used to.

Regardless of age, people naturally are exposed to a limited subset of all Superman stories ever told. Maybe they were only exposed to stories about a Superman who doesn't kill, or maybe they gravitate to that kind of Superman for whatever reason.

This is less true than it is for Batman but there is no one Superman. Early Golden-Age Superman is very different from Silver-Age Superman, for example.

Perhaps to get things back on topic, I find it really interesting how often Batman has been adapted into different takes and versions - much moreso than Superman. I think this is where some people are coming from when they react poorly to Superman killing. Superman is - for whatever reason - a less "flexible" character.

The success of so many different approaches to Batman says something about the concept, but I don't know what.

Eric V

Hero
It's weird to me when people get upset over Superman killing Zod, specifically.

In both the comics and across different generations of movies...Superman kills Zod. It's pretty much a constant.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's weird to me when people get upset over Superman killing Zod, specifically.

In both the comics and across different generations of movies...Superman kills Zod. It's pretty much a constant.
Yup. Superman always kills Zod. He killed all three of them with Kryptonite once. People wrap themselves in convoluted No True Scotsman arguments with this for some reason.

unnamed.jpg

Rikka66

Adventurer
I don't know what the context of those examples are, so I can't judge them,

Video clip is from an alternate universe in which the Justice League rules the world as the tyrannical Justice Lords.

Picture is from the Injustice video game tie-in comic, in which the Joker tricked Superman into killing Lois Lane and setting off a nuke that destroyed Metropolis. He then ruled the world as the leader of the tyrannical Regime.

cmad1977

Hero
Man of steel wasn’t a bad movie because Superman kills Zod.
It was a bad movie because it told the audience his origin story, TWICE!! WHY??!?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases