RFC: Iconic D&D Cities

Shiroiken

Legend
I'm think that to make this clear, it would be best to keep it to a max of three cities for any given campaign setting, with wildcard entries for other reasons (such as Baldur's Gate).

Others
Village of Hommlet (module)
Lanhmar (Campaign Setting)
City State of the Invincible Overlord (3PP, Judge's Guild)
City of Brass
Menzobarranzan
Baldur's Gate
Neverwinter
Phandalin?
Saltmarsh?

Ideas? If there is something missing (and I am sure there is) that you think ABSOLUTELY has to be included, make the case.
Pretty sure you're already aware, but:

<> Hommlet and Saltmarsh are GH
<> Menzobarranzan, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter, and Phandalin are FR
<> Lanhkmar is both city and setting (like Greyhawk)

Sadly, I suspect a large number of these won't be known by the average poster. I know I had to do a wiki search (plus check some of my old books) to find some of these.

pkt77242

Explorer
Well, I do think this depends on your immersion in FR. For those who played in FR or read novelizations of FR, this might seem obvious. For others, less so.

I'm think that to make this clear, it would be best to keep it to a max of three cities for any given campaign setting, with wildcard entries for other reasons (such as Baldur's Gate).

And I should have specified that "cities" doesn't necessarily mean "largest city," but more "iconic urban-y gathering places," which would include places such as Village of Hommlet (the ur village) as well as larger cities.

So far, a lot of good suggestions!

GH
Free City of GH

FR
Waterdeep

DL
Palanthas?
Istar

DS
Tyr

RL
Village of Barovia

EB
Sharn

Mystara
Specularum

Blackmoor
Um, Blackmoor

PS
Sigil

AQ
Huzuz

Birthright
Anuire?

NV
Fallcrest?

Others
Village of Hommlet (module)
Lanhmar (Campaign Setting)
City State of the Invincible Overlord (3PP, Judge's Guild)
City of Brass
Menzobarranzan
Baldur's Gate
Neverwinter
Phandalin?
Saltmarsh?

Ideas? If there is something missing (and I am sure there is) that you think ABSOLUTELY has to be included, make the case.

If you are including the Village of Hommlet and the Village of Barovia , then I would say that Solace should be included. While it isn’t a large city it is very welll known due to the original Dragonlance novels.

Aldarc

Legend
Would someone else suggest what they would think of as the most iconic city/town of the Points of Light / Nentir Vale setting?

gyor

Legend
Bezantur is the largest city of Thay, a city of Red Wizards, and the only city in the forgotten realms that has a college of Hexblades. It is also called the city of a thousand temples.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Would someone else suggest what they would think of as the most iconic city/town of the Points of Light / Nentir Vale setting?

I suggested Hammerfall, the city last citadel of dwarfs, because it was one of the only lore supplement made for the Vale. Its a really interesting take on the classic dwarven cities. It was, at first, an open air necropolis for the dwarves in the Dawnforge mountain, but after they started losing citadel after citadel, they retreated there an build a city among the mausoleums. This is place where the last great war against the orc ended when both Moradin and Grummsh said ''enough'' while both peoples were mutualty butchering themselves in the streets of the necropolis. Since then, the citadel is known as a pilgrimage spot for both dwarves and orc where they can come pay respect to the ghost of their ancestors. The city is inhabited by hundreds of ghosts who ''live'' in the city among the living and harming them is one of the greatest crime in the city.

If not, I'd suggest Harkenwold. Its not a town per say, its a bunch of small villages that band together, much like Ten-Towns in Fearun. Its where the most iconic of module in the Vale, Reavers of the Harkenwold, took place.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Fallcrest. It's the "city" that was used to introduce the setting. (Also used as the "home base" for the D&D 4e for Dummies intro adventure.)

I know there are other cities and towns in the Nentir Vale (and expanded world), but I would have to go do research to find their names. To be "iconic" you should be able to think of the city's name without prompts.

Remove ads