Rich Baker confirms new look of Gnomes

Sorry if this had been posted before.
Someone on the WotC Boards asked if the look of the Gnome in the new Cartoon would be the new look, and Rich confirmed this:
Rich Baker said:
Look? Yes, that's what gnomes look like now. We've been casting about for a good look for gnomes for years; for my own part, I sorta like this one. That's probably a "retcon," because it's pretty strange to say that something happened to change a race's appearance. So gnomes have always looked that way. (We didn't illustrate all that many of them in 3e or 2e anyway.)
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=14632435&postcount=1845

I love it! The old bearded somewaht dwarven looking Gnomes of 1st and 2nd Edition never did it for me, and the 3rd Edition Gnome never had a real unified look. The new design looks much more like a fey prankster and i like it alot!

The Ubbergeek said:
I agree that a reworking could be cool, but... This is a bit... ridiculous, to be frank.
Bear in mind that was a cartoon representation of what gnomes look like. Or do you think the interviewer looks realistic?

The Ubbergeek

First Post
I dunno, but even draw more realistic...

I would like to see a concept art when possible.

It's not that I am against creativity or even the theme in itself, mind you...

HeinorNY

First Post
Rechan said:
I want to USE gnomes.

Namely, stealing children to play games with them involving fire.

"Come plaaaay with us. Come plaaaay with us!"
leprechaun4.jpg

Voss

First Post
Looks like they decided to make a niche for the gnome after all. Its just not a PC.

Its a victim. I wonder what will happen to the old kobold v. gnome cage matches?

Last edited:

ImperialParadox

First Post
I wouldn't mind a sort of fey creature that looks like the way they are potraying gnomes now, but to have that image actually be a gnome? Blech.

Why can't they create new things instead of just destroying the old?

Sigh...

Remove ads