• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Richard Baker on Orcus and Deity Slaying

nick012000

First Post
Uhh... the Lady of Pain never acted through proxies, unless you count those rare occasions when she turned up with a dabus beside her doing her talking to be "acting through proxies". Hell, she hardly ever acted, period; the entire point of her was the mystery. Well, that, and that she was a living plot hammer to smash anything that got too out of whack and threatened Sigil.

She certainly never gave any PCs any jobs. If your PCs are running errands for the Lady of Pain, your DM is doing Planescape wrong.

Skyduke

First Post
Sounds good to me. Although to be honest, even the Pit Fiend, with its level 26 elite build, didn't seem THAT powerful to me. I hope the level 33 and up provide suitable challenges for PCs that think they can kill gods.

Doug McCrae

Legend
I like the god killing, it's very D&D.

Anything with stats can be killed and in D&D everything has stats. The Lady of Pain is a 2e aberration. I say bring her in line with the rest of the game's history and smash her stupid pointy face in.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
I like this. I hope they do stat out the gods, but keep them mostly out-of-reach of the PCs.

I like having god-stats. I dislike having the PCs waltz in and whack them.

I'm so glad gnomes are out, maybe this time we won't get such a a..ahrm.."fabulous"...picture of Garl Glittergold in this edition's Deities & Demigods...

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
nick012000 said:
She certainly never gave any PCs any jobs. If your PCs are running errands for the Lady of Pain, your DM is doing Planescape wrong.

No. Just No.

Who are you to say that a DM is "doing Planescape wrong"? It is a campaign setting that any DM can take and run with however they like. There is no "wrong" about it. There are no "Planescape Police".

If someone wanted to treat the lady of pain as if she was the wizard of Oz (i.e. a big fake) for their own campaign then -that is how it is- in that campaign. That is "right" for their campaign.

Please don't pronounce judgements on other peoples campaigns.

Thanks

robertliguori

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
I like the god killing, it's very D&D.

Anything with stats can be killed and in D&D everything has stats. The Lady of Pain is a 2e aberration. I say bring her in line with the rest of the game's history and smash her stupid pointy face in.

I'm reasonably sure that if she's in, she'll be statted up similar to how Atropus was, as an aspect of Sigil, with a refractory regeneration period of no action. So, totally demolish her, and another comes along instantly while Sigil still stands. That's how I'd do it.

Khuxan

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
MAny demon lords are in their high twenties? Isn't the pit fiend level 26?

It's an Elite 26. I assume the demon lords will be solos. I think over twice as powerful as a pit fiend is sufficiently powerful.

Remove ads