D&D 5E Riddle Me This

the Jester

Legend
How much do you like riddles in game? As a DM, do you (or would you, in 5e) use anything other than the players' own brainz to give them a hint or clue? If so, what?

Nefzyflin

Explorer
How much do you like riddles in game? As a DM, do you (or would you, in 5e) use anything other than the players' own brainz to give them a hint or clue? If so, what?

I find riddles extremely fun. A couple sessions ago I sprung this one I found, on the pc's.

If you have it... You want to share it... If you share it... You no longer have it.

200 xp's if the pc's could figure it out with their non character brains. Divided by 4 pc's. They couldn't, so I allowed them each to make an Int check. Two of them passed a DC of 15 and so I gave them the answer, but cut the xp award in half to 100 for 25 xp each.

Love riddles.

Nef

IchneumonWasp

Explorer
I've used real life wooden puzzles and small chess-like problems in games before that the players had to solve to open chests or magic doors and such. Usually it was quite fun, as long as it is relatively easy to solve. The problem I faced was that sometimes players just don't see a solution. This is especially a problem with riddles (I've only used them ones and it was a disaster, even though the riddle was quite straight forward). In stories or movies you often see character quickly solving riddles and it seems quite fun, but in real life solving riddles is a lot less fun and sometimes you just don't get it and it can take ages.

Of course you can always decide to let the players roll dice to see if they get it, but that really defeats the point somewhat. Therefore I don't really use riddles anymore, since I find it just pulls people out of the game.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I use and enjoy riddles/puzzles, and I make the players try to puzzle them out. If a PC's race or background would help them with the puzzle/riddle I'll toss in an appropriate tip relatively quickly.

However, while I like to let the players figure these things out it's always important to me to remember to keep the game from getting bogged down. That's when I start allowing Int checks. If that doesn't work out then I rule that the PCs solve it over a period of time.

Nefzyflin

Explorer
I've used real life wooden puzzles and small chess-like problems

This reminded me of a time years ago, when I met a guy in a local game store, who invited me over to his place for a one shot. He didn't know me very well. Not at all actually. Anyway I went over one night to play. We started off in a tavern ( don't we all ). While drinking and carousing in this tavern we met an NPC who wanted to make a 5gp wager, that we couldn't solve a puzzle he wanted to show us. We all agreed. So the DM pulls out a chess board and starts to set up a position. Before he even had his hands on the last chess piece, I gave him the answer ! His face literally turned white, and he had this WTF look. It was hilarious and we all laughed for minutes afterward. I had seen the solution in seconds.

I couldn't hold it in any longer and proceeded to tell him that I was a candidate chess master ( the lowest level master in chess ) and that I compete regularly.

Good times. ;)

Nef

dd.stevenson

Super KY
I use 'em, but I make sure to put some thought into the setup, and think long and hard first about whether I want something there that could potentially eat up a half hour or more of game time.

If I'm putting a puzzle in, it's not going to be solved with an intelligence check. But depending on how they decide to go about solving it I'll give good clues if a player asks a good question and passes an int check.

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I can't stand riddles and only use them if they are in a published adventure I'm using. I'm not sure why I have such a loathing for them...maybe because I'm bad at solving them myself.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Use them and enjoy them - but as others have said, should not bog down the game too much or be overly complicated.

Some of my favorite riddles involve solving geometric patterns to discover the sequence to open portals. Creating illustrations for these types of riddles (actually puzzles I guess) can be quite fun.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I loathe riddles. Especially ones that come in modules. Riddles are highly sensitive to cultural context, which leads to "In-joke" situations, and immersion breaking exchanges. Puzzles are OK most of the time.

Remove ads