• ★★★ Average

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • ★★ Not Great

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • ★ Terrible

Votes: 8 11.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finally saw it and I thought it was great! Star Wars is back to being "A Great Sprawling Space Epic". Left the theatre with a goofy grin on my face and listening to the happy buzz of the other watchers reliving their favorite parts.

One thing I thought was amusing..my 13 year old saw it the next day and when I asked her about it she enjoyed it but was confused by who the creepy guy in the hooded robe was. She had no idea who the emperor was or why it was such a big deal that he was back instead she just saw him as a villain. The bad guy!

I found it a relief to see a movie that unabashedly didn't care about intricate plots or moral ambiguity. That stuff is for a different kind of movie: this was a space opera made for kids or the kid in all of us.

tglassy

Adventurer
Finally saw it and I thought it was great! Star Wars is back to being "A Great Sprawling Space Epic". Left the theatre with a goofy grin on my face and listening to the happy buzz of the other watchers reliving their favorite parts.

One thing I thought was amusing..my 13 year old saw it the next day and when I asked her about it she enjoyed it but was confused by who the creepy guy in the hooded robe was. She had no idea who the emperor was or why it was such a big deal that he was back instead she just saw him as a villain. The bad guy!

I found it a relief to see a movie that unabashedly didn't care about intricate plots or moral ambiguity. That stuff is for a different kind of movie: this was a space opera made for kids or the kid in all of us.

Well, this is the 9th movie in the series. If I hadn’t seen the first six, then I’d be confused, too.

EthanSental

Legend
The JJ movies are the equivalent of eating a whole bunch of pixie stix when you're an adult; sure, you get the rush of nostalgia. Then the rush of ... sugar. But 20 minutes after you've finished, you're left empty inside, and maybe a little sick. Because it's all surface, no depth. Nothing to fill you, nothing to (metaphor is starting to fail now) challenge you, or engage you ...

spot on! Watching Force Awkens, I enjoyed it, 20 minutes driving home I realize how much of a copy it was and dislike the movie now....same with this one, enjoyed it while watching the visual but after it’s over, I felt that same let down again.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Good for people with short attention spans who need constant action and have low standards and are happy with just ever bigger xplosions. But nothing more.

If only you had just stated your opinion of the movie rather than your opinion of those who disagree with your opinion of the movie, you wouldn't be looking the way you look right now. Which is...lower than your view of the quality of this move :)

MarkB

Legend
spot on! Watching Force Awkens, I enjoyed it, 20 minutes driving home I realize how much of a copy it was and dislike the movie now....same with this one, enjoyed it while watching the visual but after it’s over, I felt that same let down again.
While this is a flaw in the movie, I still enjoy it for the good character work it did in establishing Rey and Finn. The second half does drag a bit, though.

With Rise of Skywalker, I found it rather a drag in the cinema, especially the first act, and it all felt rather forced and artificial, but I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt, and perhaps with further viewings once it comes out to stream I may find myself warming to it.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Did anyone else get a very "Avatar: The Last Airbender" vibe from both Rey's initial training scene and her final confrontation with Palpatine? The visual of her hovering cross-legged with the two offset rings of rocks circling her is straight out of the cartoons, and her attempt to connect with past Jedi is very reminiscent of the Avatar's connection to his past lives.

And when she finally succeeds at doing so, it's very much as though she were accessing the Avatar State, channeling her forebears in order to power-up her mystical abilities.
Under developed.

I thought she was the reincarnation of the Chosen one and I was waiting for that shoe to drop. When we got to “you’re a Palpatine” I was convinced she was a experiment from mustafar incubated in some poor schlubs and designed specifically to BE a host for Palpatine, biologically. And then the spirit of the chosen one inhabited that experiment to put a final end to P.

I was slightly let down by the deflected force lightning win - I wanted a more Avatar/Energy Bend type conclusion. I am one with the force (versus all the Jedi).

So the conclusion pulls a solid B for me. Delivered on Star Wars. Hit several doubles that should’ve been runs.

Oh and there’s plainly two films in there that have been very hastily smashed together.
—————-

If I were in charge, and nobody is asking or offering, I’d wait the appropriate amount of time, then reboot the whole thing as a series instead of films. The plot of each movie getting 9 or so hour-long episodes. And I’d definitely have an outline of the story before I started filming. Sheesh.

Ulfgeir

Hero
I liked it. Had good pacing and most of the stuff worked well. It was a worthy closure.

My main gripe is one thing introduced in the disastermovie The Last Jedi, that they stuck with, which I didn't quite like. That being that Rey and Kylo could physically interact over a distance. It worked relatively well here though and led to some interesting scenes, but it does open up to a lot of weirdness when you think about it.

And I would have liked to see more of the darkside dual-wielding version of Rey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads