Votes: 12 16.7%
  • ★ Terrible

Votes: 8 11.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This was the message that Palpatine broadcast before the start of the film. You had to play Fortnite to hear it, apparently.

Mallus

Legend
You know, for a movie that walks back/undoes the best parts of my 2nd favorite Star Wars movie, I enjoyed Rise quite a bit. I have plans to see in next week with friends, but I snuck out to see it alone this morning.

The worst part about it is the first 30 or so minutes, where J.J. races through the main plot like a player determined to have the worst possible experience of a BioWare game. It's in these frantic opening sequences Abrams seems most unsure of himself. Like he's trying to distract us from where he's going - to nowhere new, but to the end of the Skywalker saga.

But once the movie slows down, to the extent that it does, and character moments drop on the audience like colonies filled with sentimentality & nostalgia, not always exactly on target, but with great impact... anyway, for a while up through the end it approaches greatness.

It's glorified B-movie moviemaking punctuated by operatic melodrama and untreated nostalgia. I had tears in my eyes at least twice and I'm not sure my brain was fully operational for 2.5 hours. It's Star Wars!

I'm seeing it again in a week. I'll probably be drinking steadily through that screening, which could only make it better!

Mirtek

Hero
What I disliked and what really broke my ability for suspension of disbelief was once again the movie not taking the context of it's own setting seriously.

Just like GoT S7&8 suddenly ignoring any remotely sensible travel speeds, RoS just gave a #### about the logistics in even building a single Star Destroyer class vessel and getting it crewed.

And somehow designing a planet buster laser that fits on a mere star destroyer instead of requiring the power of a moon / planet sized star base isn't even the worst of it.

Weren't worlds with star docks able to construct such huge vessels rare and highly valuable? Didn't a single SD require a crew of almost 40k?

So this hidden backwater hiding place build 10k if those on the surface and found 400 million well trained people to crew every single one?

I couldn't really care anymore about the stuff the pro- and antagonists were going through, this giant not giving a ### anymore about the underlying coherency of the setting ruined it for me.

Mirtek

Hero
Not the OT TIE/ln that Kylo flew from the Death Star wreckage to Exowhatsis!
I didn't pay that close attention to it. Was it just a standard TIE or one of the advanced types? Back then the standard TIE had neither shields nor hyperdrives, but even then there also more advanced models that features shields and hyperdrives.

Most of those showed up in what's no "legends", but Vader's personal TIE he was flying in ANH was one of those too.

They do mention not having enough people to run each of the ships.
Yes, you're right. Forgot about that one line. Yet all of those ships seemed pretty operational somehow. And they were talking about sending them out to all corners of the galaxy in a few hours rather than "letting the skeleton crews to them to orbit and then later send them out to all corners of the galaxy in a couple of years once we have trained enough crew"

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
I thought they broadcast fairly strongly that Finn might be Force Sensitive in TFA when it seemed like he heard the cries of terror of the people in the Hosnian system.

I think my final rating of this movie would have been a whole rank better if they had no literally ripped off Wonder Woman for their final confrontation: crossed sabers/crossed arms reflecting a lightning attack between ascended beings.

I enjoyed watching the movie, and I will buy it on Blu-Ray and I will enjoy watching it again. But the film... I do not think it is a good film. The best way I can perhaps describe it is that it is less than the sum of its parts. Because there are lots of great elements in this movie, but when you tack the not so good stuff onto them they kind of fade in importance. The way they resolved it just seemed too cheesy to me.

I will be interested to see how the big Rey vs Kylo duel rates to other Star Wars duels in the end. Perhaps it is to be expected that their lightsaber skills do not really have the crisp finesse of the Prequels. After all - they only get limited training from the only remaining lightsaber duelist, Luke, and even he probably did not really stack up well against the previous generation (Vader was old, and his father, so it is hard to compare there).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads