• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [Rise of the Runelords] I have a problem

Grimmjow

First Post
My party consists of three players, a wizard, a paladin, and a druid/barbarian. I've been giving them normal encounter with XP split between them so that they are level 5 and getting ready to enter the first level of thisletop dungeon. The boosted level isnt what bothers me though. What bothers me is between the wizards mage armor put on the paladin and the paladin's normal armor....I cant do anything to that paladin. I want my players to feel challanged by this campaign but they arnt. Even when i knock out the barbarian and the wizard i still cant hit the paladin, even with flanking bonus. Is this going to get fixed at higher levels or will my paladin be unstobble for the entire game? If his AC is always going to be unstobble what can I do to make this funner for me? (Frankly they love not having any threat but its no fun for me when i know they have no challange)

Ebony Dragon

First Post
The Mage Armor spell gives an armor bonus to AC.
Regular mundane armor also gives an armor bonus to AC.

They don't stack, they overlap (whichever bonus is higher is used, probably the Paladin's armor).

Paraxis

Explorer
Well a few things might help you.
1. Mage Armor grants a +4 armor bonus, same type bonuses don't stack so for anyone wearing a chain shirt or better the spell does nothing.
2. Change x.p tables put them on the slow track, if they keep leveling like they are they will continue to stomp through everything in the adventure path with little chance of failure.
3. Better yet stop using x.p and just tell them when to level the adventure gives you guidelines when they should be at certain levels just advance them at those points.
4. Touch attacks vs. the paladin, go for the kill on the wizard first in pathfinder there is no marking or anything besides AoO's that make the paladin a good tank. Have the monsters ignore him and hit the softer targets first.
5. Make sure you have the enemies in near by rooms act accordingly to the noises of battle, they will come rushing in to fight against the party or atleast spend a few rounds preparing for them to come into the room they are in. Without any stealth in the group every monster in the place should know they are there quickly.
6. Traps make sure you hit them hard with the traps, they don't get to auto detect them and can't do a damn thing about most of the ones they come across without a rogue.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The Rise of the Rulelords may be designed for using the fast track of XP table, but with only 3 PCs, you should consider the medium track. That will slow them down some.

As others have pointed out, mage armor doesn't add to the paladin's armor class if his armor bonus with physical armor is already better than the +4 mage armor provides. That said, expect the paladin to always have a pretty decent AC. Armor and shield bonuses are relatively cheap once the magical enhancements come along. This is fine as that's what he should have. Keep in mind, though, that those two bonuses won't help him in combat maneuvers nor against touch attacks (and definitely not incorporeal touch attacks unless his armor gets the ghost touch property - which is fairly expensive).

Though mage armor and physical armor don't stack, casting mage armor on a paladin still confers one benefit. He would still have a +4 armor bonus vs incorporeal attacks. Useful when taking on a tomb full of shadows, wraiths, or specters.

Stormonu

Legend
Yes, book 2's climax will kill your players - unless they're pretty well optimized. Had a TPK at the very end of it, and high AC won't save them, unless it's been changed in the reprint. Spellcasters start to come into their own and the high hit points and ACs of the melee characters will become less of an issue. Magical abilities and spells become more common and it becomes difficult for characters to cover all bases at once. The trick comes in knowing how and when to exploit those chinks in the PCs armor (so to speak) that doesn't feel like you're picking on them unfairly but still creating drama.

Our group had a fighter in it who's AC was around 32. He would use Intimidate to infuriate and draw enemy NPC's to attack him, leaving the rest of the party free to wail on the beasties. Worked pretty well and we had some fun moments with it, but I do feel the pain you're likely feeling right now. However, there are enough encounters that don't rely on AC alone that it can still be a threat, especially if the PC can be caught alone or is the target of these types of attacks (generally Will saves).

Right now, one of the advantages opponents probably have is if they attempt combat maneuvers against your Paladin. If the group is facing multiple opponents, one or two of those foes giving up attacks to trip, grapple and/or disarm the paladin can go a long way to neutralizing his advantage and turn pests back into some form of threat. If I'm remembering correctly, unless the Paladin has combat reflexes, he may only be able to prevent one foe at a time from trying to take him down/neutralize him. Swarm attacks against the 'tin can' is probably how the enemies are going to have to fight against him.

tangleknot

Explorer
Rise of the Runelords gets progressively harder. Each chapter starts off easy but finishes with a difficult battle.
Make the fixes suggested above, and let them enjoy their time squashing goblins. The last time I played I just about TPK'd the party in the very last Barghest room. These monsters are highly magical and intelligent (so he was invisible and sneaking around). I let the whole party enter, look around, begin to loot and then I attacked the cleric first. Droped him on second round and when the battle was over only one man was left standing.

Have fun

Grimmjow

First Post
awesome glad to hear this is going to work out. Will make the adjustments and look forward to MY kind of DMing fun :devil:. Thanks guys

Remove ads