D&D 5E ritual casting overpowered?

smcmike

First Post
Yes, ovinmancer, I am proficient in math. think perimeter not area andb you will figure it out. And of course you right, the baddies will only be unable to ambush the party; they will retain their ability to make noise and heckle lol

I think you are caught up w/me now re how easy telepathy makes battle:even giving it to commanders is immense advantage.

And you convinced me re water walk, much safer traveeling thru jungle bor forest, no predators there right.

Traveling on the water makes sense. That's why everyone has been doing it for centuries. In a boat. WALKING makes no sense. Why would you walk when you can float and let the wind do the work?

Last edited:

how so? Ritual casting (1 feat) grants the equivalent of water breathing for the whole party for the whole day at the cost of a 10 min cast. By moving 15% slower through an area, the whole party gets continuous telepathic link, and if they move 10% slower they get continuous knowledge of the area for miles around them at all times. At the cost of 10 mins, they get an invisible force shielded shelter every night. By moving 15% slower they get someone to spring traps for them. Move 50% slower and you have continuous magic detection.

How does this change the world of d and d? Any kingdom with even limited resources could completely eliminate banditry for instance. Water walking trading groups w/tensers disc become as common as ships. Would there be ordinances against massive overuse of magic mouths? Every castle would have its troops telepathically linked - how does that change combat? Animal messengers running to and fro continously become as common as trees. Magically hiding anything becomes virtually useless. And think about common outdoor encounters (the surprise night ambush, the ambush in the mountain pass, the hidden magical door in the tree) and how unlimited ritual spells trivializes them.
I believe you're making a big mistake in assuming that spell slots are the primary bottleneck in these cases, rather than the availability of high-level spellcasters.

Rary's Telepathic Bond will impact a setting to some degree, but the guy who casts it will impact the setting far more, especially via Sending, Project Image, Magic Jar, Fabricate, etc.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Yes, ovinmancer, I am proficient in math. think perimeter not area andb you will figure it out. And of course you right, the baddies will only be unable to ambush the party; they will retain their ability to make noise and heckle lol

Um, no, perimeter is absolutely the wrong way to consider this, and, even if it were, you can't break the perimeter of smaller circles and join them together to make a larger one. Just doesn't work that way.

I think you are caught up w/me now re how easy telepathy makes battle:even giving it to commanders is immense advantage.
Total shame the other side couldn't think of it, either.

And you convinced me re water walk, much safer traveeling thru jungle bor forest, no predators there right.
Oh, it is, much safer to walk through a jungle than on the ocean. Glad we agree on this.

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
Oh, this thread is too good not to sub.

So mean and entertaining.

Speaking of rituals, my bard, Oliver Ridley, had his unseen servant up more or less 24/7. I made him 'wear' a hooded cloak and hold a mask up to his face. Then when we got to two guys guarding an entrance to a hideout we wanted to sneak into, instead of engaging them or trying to range them I ran out of the bushes screaming "NO NO NO DON'T LET IT TOUCH ME!!!! IT'S THE STALKER OF NEZ'RAH!!!!" Well I let the floating scary mask and cape get close enough to touch me and pretended to fall over dead just by being touched.

Did I mention I was a bard? So happy I took the Actor Feat.

Also, I named him Gerard, my butler.

BEWARE THE STALKER OF NEZ'RAH!!!!! ONE TOUCH WILL END YOUR LIFE!!!!

cmad1977

Hero
Another non issue brought to your attention by the brain trust at EN world.

EN world: we panic about nothing, so you don't have to.

shoak1

Banned
Banned
OvinomNcer, let mewalk u thru this using crafts instead of math. Take a pair of scissors and cut out 11 6 inch radius circles. Place the scissors to the side. Now arrange your 11 circles into a circlar formation, each circle touching 1 circle on each side of it. Now take out a ruler and measue from the center of your new, large circle to the outer edge of any outer circle. That, x10 feet, is the distance from your sleeping bag to the outer edge of your magic mouth perimeter. Got it?

Last edited:

OvinomNcer, let mewalk u thru this using crafts instead of math. Take a pair of scissors and cut out 11 6 inch radius circles. Place the scissors to the side. Now arrange your 11 circles into a circlar formation, each circle touching 1 circle on each side of it. Now take out a ruler and measue from the center of your new, large circle to the outer edge of any outer circle. That, x10 feet, is the distance from your sleeping bag to the outer edge of your magic mouth perimeter. Got it?

A few questions:

1.) What happens if the wizard gets attacked during the two hours he is spending emplacing these Magic Mouths, alone in the woods by himself, occasionally screaming at the top of his lungs?

2.) What conditions will he specify to make the screaming mouths go off? How to balance false positives with false negatives?

3.) Is the amount of extra security gained really worth the 110 gold it costs to cast the eleven Magic Mouths?

Frankly, Leomund's Tiny Hut is a better bet, and that would be true even if Leomund's Tiny Hut were not a ritual.

I try not to engage in too much hyperbole, so let's just say I found this argument to be so ridiculous that I signed up to this forum to say so.

Ritual casting is overpowered because people will replace ships with water walking and tenser's disc? Seriously? Three questions for you:

Have you ever walked any significant distance?
Have you ever been on a boat ride?
Which one, would you say, was easier?

Throw in the fact that water walking over open water means walking over little hills that are constantly moving, and I do hope that you see my point. If every person who ever lived knew how to walk on water, we would have still invented boats.

You win the thread.

Um, no, perimeter is absolutely the wrong way to consider this, and, even if it were, you can't break the perimeter of smaller circles and join them together to make a larger one. Just doesn't work that way.

He didn't add up their perimeters--he added up (an approximation of) their diameters to get a circumference. That's valid, although I'm not certain about his "60' diameter = 75' on curve" approximation since I'm not that good at geometry. You can definitely get 11*60/(2*3.14)=105' radius of warded area though, plus about another 30' for the outward area of the spell itself.

There are issues with the Magic Mouth plan but this isn't one of them.

One of the major benefits to Leomund's Tiny Hut is that you can actually put down your shield and take off your armor. The Magic Mouth plan will not allow this, because it takes one round to don a shield and up to 60 rounds to put on armor.

shoak1

Banned
Banned
Nice job w/the exageraTions. No, I.m only about 110 feet from the center of camp, I'm not screaming aat top of lungs, just ednough to be heard 140 feet away, and I could easily make a monkey type noise if I wanted to instead of saying warning will robinson lol. And if enemies are close enuf to attack when I am casting, better now than in the middle of the dark night while I sleep.

Conditions? How about if anything larger than the size of a short halfling walks in range. Should rule out all but 10% of baddies

Remove ads