Rob Kuntz hates Wizards (spoiler)

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I recently picked up the first two modules in the Zayene series (M1 & M2) from Necromancer Games written by Robert Kuntz.

I quickly noticed that he has Sorcerers in them (4 to be exact, 5 if you count the pre-generated PC), but no Wizards.

He also has a single Cleric (two with the pre-generated PC), a single Ranger, a single Druid, a single Rogue, and a boatload of Fighters and Monsters (there is a Bard mentioned, but no statistics and there is a pre-generated PC Paladin).

Now Necromancer Games motto is: Third Edition Rules, First Edition Feel

I find a few unusual things about this:

1) Sorcerers do not exist in first edition, so how come they have so many of them in their "first edition feel" modules? It would seem that they should have more Wizards than Sorcerers unless the module itself is designed around Sorcerers.

2) It seems to me that a lot of 3E modules (not just these two) are starting to use Sorcerers as their main arcane spell casting antagonist, possibly in order to minimize the chances of PC Wizards finding spell books from their opponents. In fact, these particular two modules have almost 200 books in them, but not a single traditional spell book (there is a book which has a few scroll-like pages in it).

Another aspect of this appears to be that since PCs tend to wipe through enemy NPCs, maybe the appeal to game module designers for Sorcerers is their ability to cast a few good spells over and over so that in a long combat, the enemy arcane spell caster will never lack for a good spell.

Has other people noticed this trend in modules, or is it just me?

corndog

First Post
KarinsDad said:
Now Necromancer Games motto is: Third Edition Rules, First Edition Feel

And your post is yet another example of how this is an empty, stupid, and meaningless advertising slogan. I like Necromancer's stuff, but that slogan is just plain moronic.

Melan

Explorer
I did notice, and IMO it is pure laziness. If you have a wizard, you have to give him a spellbook. Sorcerers can just hurl ten Fireballs before getting cut into bits.

And that is why I prefer wizards. :D

Storminator

First Post
I think it is MUCH easier to DM a Sorcerer than a Wizard. Fewer powers means fewer options to mess up. Very easy to plan, and very easy to write.

PS

Wolfspirit

First Post
If I remember correctly, the same thing was ranted about earlier in the Wizards of the Coast modules. Wasn't there even someone that is discussed about being a wizard, but is given stats as a sorc?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
The feel of first edition really had nothing to do with rules mechanics, as many, including myself, have tried to explain lately. If anything, sorcerers have as much, if not more, of a first edition "feel" as the wizard.

First edition feel is a good advertising point for many of us, especially those of use who aren't hung up on the mechanics of first edition.

It's an important distinction.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
ColonelHardisson said:
The feel of first edition really had nothing to do with rules mechanics, as many, including myself, have tried to explain lately. If anything, sorcerers have as much, if not more, of a first edition "feel" as the wizard.

First edition feel is a good advertising point for many of us, especially those of use who aren't hung up on the mechanics of first edition.

It's an important distinction.

I did not realize that I was caught up on mechanics.

I thought that when I played 1E and 2E, that enemy arcane spell casters were Wizards and hence, my PC Wizard had a chance to acquire some spell books if he defeated one.

If I had a re-occurring enemy arcane spell caster in 1E or 2E, he would not be throwing the same old spells at me. He would adapt to his experiences with my group and would change his tactics with his wide variety of spells.

In 3E modules and their influx of Sorcerers, these types of things are rarely the case.

So to me, the feeling has changed significantly and it has nothing to do with the mechanics.

On I side note, I think I agree with Melan that it appears to be an easy out for module designers. NPC Sorcerers are generally easier to design than NPC Wizards, hence, they appear to show up more often And yes, I realize that it takes a lot of effort to create a good PC Sorcerer, but we are not talking about PCs here.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Wolfspirit said:
If I remember correctly, the same thing was ranted about earlier in the Wizards of the Coast modules. Wasn't there even someone that is discussed about being a wizard, but is given stats as a sorc?

Perhaps you are referring to the sorcerer/researcher from The Standing Stone?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
KarinsDad said:

I did not realize that I was caught up on mechanics.

I thought that when I played 1E and 2E, that enemy arcane spell casters were Wizards and hence, my PC Wizard had a chance to acquire some spell books if he defeated one.

If I had a re-occurring enemy arcane spell caster in 1E or 2E, he would not be throwing the same old spells at me. He would adapt to his experiences with my group and would change his tactics with his wide variety of spells.

In 3E modules and their influx of Sorcerers, these types of things are rarely the case.

So to me, the feeling has changed significantly and it has nothing to do with the mechanics.

So how are you not hung up on mechanics? Everything you listed is the result of a game mechanic. Sorcerers were not in 3rd edition; you asked why, if Necromancer games has the "1e feel," they have so many sorcerers in some of their modules, and so few wizards. My point is that the sorcerer, a new game mechanic (which is what a class is - what else would it be?), may well have a more 1e feel for some than the wizard. Why? Because the way the sorcerer works simulates what many tried to do with their wizards in 1e - create a living machine gun, with magic missiles and fireballs and such. That's definitely a game mechanics issue.

The way you played 1e or 2e was not the only way it was played, apparently, based on the fact that Necromancer, according to your post, uses a lot of sorcerers in lieu of wizards. They seem to think 1e feel is evoked with sorcerers. Even Rob Kuntz is using sorcerers rather than wizards, as you mentioned, and if he isn't a fan of 1e feel and mechanics, I don't know who is. Apparently the feel of the sorecer is more 1e to them. As I said, it's about an often indefinable feel of 1e, not the mechanics. That's why 1e feel canb be evoked using a totally new 3e mechanic, which a character class like the sorcerer definitely is.

EOL

First Post
Beyond the discussion of 1e vs. 3e I think the sorcerer is closer to what I always imagined an arcane spell caster should be. The whole idea of having a certain number of slots that could each hold one discreet spell which was then used up while great in terms of game mechanics never felt right from an atmosphere stand point.

So I could see where 1st edition feel could be better served with a sorcerer than a wizard, although depending on the goals, personality and type of villian I could see a wizard being better too.

Remove ads