TSR Rob Kuntz Recounts The Origins Of D&D

In this interesting article from Kotaku, Rob Kuntz relates a history of early TSR that differs somewhat from the narrative we usually hear. It delves into the relationship between Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (D&D's co-creators) and the actual development of the game, which dates back to Arneson in 1971.

hl9tabacful74fpqzzkx.png

In this interesting article from Kotaku, Rob Kuntz relates a history of early TSR that differs somewhat from the narrative we usually hear. It delves into the relationship between Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (D&D's co-creators) and the actual development of the game, which dates back to Arneson in 1971.

Aaron L

Hero
At the time, maybe; but later on he was more than cool with it.

I was in a Braunstein game he ran off-grid at GenCon (2003?) and remember him complimenting me on my character portrayal...which is kinda hilarious as I was pretty much sleepwalking at the time, having not slept in a few days at that point!

Perhaps he thought you were just doing an excellent job of portraying your character as harried and exhausted? ;)

Celebrim

Legend
You guys keep reducing Arneson's contributions to just an idea. He ran the games, he gave his notes to Gary, he came up with so much of it. He wasn't just "the idea guy."

I think this persists because Arneson's contributions could have been so much more. Charged with design at TSR, Arneson never produced any large coherent documents. His Blackmoor adventures were lightly regarded and made for strange reading (and co-authored to boot), and at least among the circles I was in were considered far less interesting that Greyhawk and far less playable than something like 'Keep on the Borderlands' or 'Tomb of Horrors'. We wanted more of what Gygax was writing, and Gygax was writing.

It's hard to know what actually happened, but all the sources seem to agree that Arneson was just not producing content at TSR. His notes remained cryptic even to his peers. Few pages of copy were coming from his desk. No revolutionary designs were forth coming. For all the fact that Arneson was the first Game Master in history, and got there a year before Gygax, it's hard to point to what he did in the industry other than create the idea for it. I think if he wrote one module that everyone wanted to play and everyone still talked about, things might be entirely different. For whatever reason, stuff with just his name on it wasn't coming out.

And, this is a bit of speculation on my part, but I think Arneson never really wanted to write or play RPGs of the sort that he created and which were grabbing everyone's imagination. A staunch wargamer who was deeply involved in the Strategos N scene, I very much get the impression that he was deeply frustrated by the fact that his players abandoned the game he wanted to play, which was a lavish domain management game that would generate wargame scenarios, and were instead leaving all to participate in what he considered a mere minigame of exploring the dungeons of Blackmoor. His campaign as he envisioned it of players rallying together to fight off invading armies, were falling apart because the players would rather kick the doors down, slay trolls one on one, and take their stuff. I always envision in my head something of the dynamics of The Knights of the Dinner Table, as the artistic D.A. is continually frustrated in his grand design by the fact that his players are hack and slashers. But unfortunately, Arneson never produced that visionary dynastic domain management mass combat supplement for what would now be called paragon tier play, and so what we remember from the early 80's is kicking down the doors, killing things, and taking their stuff. By the time we were ready for something like BattleSystem, Doug Niles was doing the writing.

The truth is, his job at TSR was to be 'the idea guy', but if you never really do anything but run games, give your colleagues a few cryptic badly organized notes, and never actually produce a lot of concrete writing, you are barely even the idea guy. In the last 4 weeks, I've written more pages than Arneson produced in his entire time at TSR - and have coded one set of rules into application to automate it. Now granted, I have the benefit of a modern word processor and 50 years of rules innovation to draw from, but if I were in a small business in the 1970's, and I'd bet my livelihood on the businesses success, and my partner was Arneson, I think I would have been frustrated as well.

Again, this is not to say Arneson doesn't deserve full credit for the invention of RPGs, but well, I think he was mostly an idea guy.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
Kuntz' thesis is that the real mind behind D&D is Arneson, not Gygax.
It can be true, but without Gygax the game would have remained in Arneson's brain. Gygax gifted the game to the world.
Going off topic...
Ironically, while most grognards swear that the way Gygax played was the only true way, I think that the firing of Gygax from TSR could have been a GOOD thing, if you consider the Evolution of the game, for example the wealth of settings produced in the following years.

Yaarel

He Mage
It seems pretty normal. The person who innovates an important idea is rarely also the one who publishes it and gets credit for it.

The only time the intellectual innovator gets credit is when there are a circle of friends around the innovator, who implement the idea.

Often, an innovator will have a group of ‘students’ supporting the person: Plato to Socrates, etcetera.

Here, for D&D, the innovative work seems both collaborative and adversarial, and was probably painful.

Always thought the Blumes get a bad rap

They fronted the money to get the ball rolling.

That's why you would never go into business with friends or family without a clear legal document over who gets what and who is responsible for what.
Brian Blume's the only major founding figure who has remained silent, as far as I know. He's got bashed plenty of time by Gygax & co, but as with all things I doubt matters are as simple as they seem.

We all have a good laugh at the "needlework" investment, but at the same time we conveniently look over the gambles they made that did work out, like Endless Quest and Dragonlance.

He was a convenient "villain", but Gygax doesn't seem to have always been the easiest to work with (look at Arneson and Kuntz' recollections) and let's remember that Gary was the one who brought Lorraine Williams into the company, not Brian.

It'd be interesting to hear his version of events.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Brian Blume's the only major founding figure who has remained silent, as far as I know. He's got bashed plenty of time by Gygax & co, but as with all things I doubt matters are as simple as they seem.

We all have a good laugh at the "needlework" investment, but at the same time we conveniently look over the gambles they made that did work out, like Everquest and Dragonlance.

He was a convenient "villain", but Gygax doesn't seem to have always been the easiest to work with (look at Arneson and Kuntz' recollections) and let's remember that Gary was the one who brought Lorraine Williams into the company, not Brian.

It'd be interesting to hear his version of events.

Yeah Gary seemed to burn through all his business relations.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads