TSR Rob Kuntz Recounts The Origins Of D&D

In this interesting article from Kotaku, Rob Kuntz relates a history of early TSR that differs somewhat from the narrative we usually hear. It delves into the relationship between Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (D&D's co-creators) and the actual development of the game, which dates back to Arneson in 1971.

hl9tabacful74fpqzzkx.png

In this interesting article from Kotaku, Rob Kuntz relates a history of early TSR that differs somewhat from the narrative we usually hear. It delves into the relationship between Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (D&D's co-creators) and the actual development of the game, which dates back to Arneson in 1971.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Brian Blume's the only major founding figure who has remained silent, as far as I know. He's got bashed plenty of time by Gygax & co, but as with all things I doubt matters are as simple as they seem.

We all have a good laugh at the "needlework" investment, but at the same time we conveniently look over the gambles they made that did work out, like Endless Quest and Dragonlance.

My understanding is that the quilting company TSR acquired was due to Brian Blume's brother, Kevin. As I heard it, it was basically something he did for his wife so that there'd be something at TSR that she'd be interested in.

If that sounds ridiculous, well, that matches what I've read. I don't have my books in front of me, but as I recall, after Don Kaye died and Melvin Blume gave his son Brian the money to buy Kaye's widow out, the Blumes gained a controlling interest in the company. Kevin Blume was installed on TSR's board of directors alongside Brian Blume and Gary Gygax. The Blumes later brought in three more people to sit on the board, none of whom were gamers (as I've heard it, those three individuals sounded like they came from the setup of a joke, being a doctor, a lawyer, and a businessman, or something like that). When Gary was subsequently shipped off to Hollywood to explore options with regards to commoditizing D&D for film and TV (and where he admittedly got completely caught up in the ritz and glamour), Kevin was the one who started running TSR into the ground.

When Gary eventually heard that TSR was on the verge of bankruptcy and being shopped around, he hurried back. Once he'd reviewed what had been happening, he assembled the board and put forward a motion to remove Kevin Blume from his position. Supposedly, Kevin voted for himself to stay, Gary and the three non-gamers voted for him to go, and Brian Blume, Kevin's own brother, abstained. Gary then started cranking out books such as Unearthed Arcana and Oriental Adventures to try and raise enough cash to save the company (and also try and regain control of it). While those books weren't exactly his own new, original work, they did well enough that he was able to make his play to retake TSR.

And then Lorraine Williams happened, but that's another story.

Sacrosanct

Legend
My understanding is that the quilting company TSR acquired was due to Brian Blume's brother, Kevin. As I heard it, it was basically something he did for his wife so that there'd be something at TSR that she'd be interested in.

If that sounds ridiculous, well, that matches what I've read. I don't have my books in front of me, but as I recall, after Don Kaye died and Melvin Blume gave his son Brian the money to buy Kaye's widow out, the Blumes gained a controlling interest in the company. Kevin Blume was installed on TSR's board of directors alongside Brian Blume and Gary Gygax. The Blumes later brought in three more people to sit on the board, none of whom were gamers (as I've heard it, those three individuals sounded like they came from the setup of a joke, being a doctor, a lawyer, and a businessman, or something like that). When Gary was subsequently shipped off to Hollywood to explore options with regards to commoditizing D&D for film and TV (and where he admittedly got completely caught up in the ritz and glamour), Kevin was the one who started running TSR into the ground.

When Gary eventually heard that TSR was on the verge of bankruptcy and being shopped around, he hurried back. Once he'd reviewed what had been happening, he assembled the board and put forward a motion to remove Kevin Blume from his position. Supposedly, Kevin voted for himself to stay, Gary and the three non-gamers voted for him to go, and Brian Blume, Kevin's own brother, abstained. Gary then started cranking out books such as Unearthed Arcana and Oriental Adventures to try and raise enough cash to save the company (and also try and regain control of it). While those books weren't exactly his own new, original work, they did well enough that he was able to make his play to retake TSR.

While much of the above looks like it was literally cut and pasted from Brian Blume's wiki entry, there are some incorrect assumptions here in the last half of this post. The big one being that Lorraine Williams came along and ruined the company. By the time she got there, TSR was already half sunk with bad investments and worse business sense. While she certainly isn't blame free (ahem, dragon dice...), she can hardly be blamed for ruining TSR (the first time anyway).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
While much of the above looks like it was literally cut and pasted from Brian Blume's wiki entry

It wasn't. It just looks that way because what happened is fairly well-known to the people who're versed in TSR's history.

there are some incorrect assumptions here in the last half of this post. The big one being that Lorraine Williams came along and ruined the company.

I'm not sure where you think I said that. Literally all I mentioned about her was that she "happened" after Gary made his attempt to take back control of TSR. That was supposed to be understood as her preventing that from happening, which she did; she cut a deal with the Blume brothers behind Gary's back to acquire their interest in the company, despite Gary having been the one who brought her on board in the first place. Shortly thereafter, Gary was forced out, and that was the end of his association with the company he'd helped found.

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
This, right here, goes to the heart of the current "Team Gygax or Team Arneson" nature of the disagreement among D&D historians. It's a debate that has been around for quite some time among those who look into the game's history: if you read Lawrence Schick's Heroic Worlds, published in 1991, you'll find an essay from Gary Gygax himself talking about how Chainmail was fundamental to the development of D&D, and another essay from Dave Arneson about how Chainmail had very little influence on the development of D&D! In more recent characterizations, Shannon Appelcline, author of Designers & Dragons agrees with Gygax that Chainmail played a pivotal role in the creation of D&D (and calls those who disagree "Chainmail denialists"), whereas Paul Stormberg disagrees. This is the dividing issue among D&D aficionados!
I’ll relate what Bob Meyer told the group when I played Blackmoor with him in late October 2017. This jibes with what Arneson had on his website (look in the Wayback Machine for the archive):

Meyer was playing a hero, and his hero came upon a bridge under which lived a troll. Meyer, figuring that his character is a hero and should act heroic, had his character charge at the troll. Thus Arneson broke out Chainmail and rolled a bunch of dice. End result: Meyer’s character bit the dust on the first action.

This didn’t sit well with the players, especially Meyer. He skipped out on Blackmoor games for some time (I think he did play in the Napoleonic games with this group in this timeframe, but don’t know for sure). After several weeks (I think this is spring 1971 for some reason), he came back, and Arneson no longer used Chainmail for combat in Blackmoor.

From this, we can deduce a few things. First is that nobody likes to go down in the first round. Well, duh, but that’s the nature of Chainmail: roll a bunch of d6s, loser has to take away figures based on he and the other player rolled. This makes sense for wargaming since each player has a lot of units, but for role playing games, the individual figure doesn’t make sense as the unit for attrition as the player has but one character. From a game design standpoint, this rewards the weaker combatant, since it makes the stronger combatant highly vulnerable to one bad roll. This isn’t fun, and player characters make more rolls than the monsters over the course of a campaign. This is likely the origin of hit points.

Arneson swapping out a whole combat system based on one bad set of rolls underscores something else: a role playing game is more than its combat resolution system. That gets at the crux of why Gygax thinks Chainmail is a big development: if the combat system is what’s important, then Gygax, coauthor of that combat system, did make an essential part of that game, and thus his contribution predates Arneson’s and thus Arneson only did some refocusing of the game. From Arneson’s standpoint, the combat resolution system was just one part of the game, something he could replace with little hassle. It could be Chainmail, but that didn’t work so out it goes, but the rest of the game stays the same.

Daniel Boggs did once point out that there’s more to Chainmail than it’s combat resolution system: namely, it’s spell and monster lists. Arneson likely kept using those, which again brings up Gygax’s argument. This also has a counter, which is that those lists are mostly common to fantasy literature, especially the monsters, so it’s mostly just a list of those game elements. (The monsters in Monsters and Treasure are almost all from mythology or literature, with almost no original creations.) I don’t think this is Gygax’s argument, though I find it better than the combat resolution system being key. Arneson almost surely did use the monsters and spells in Chainmail long after Meyer’s bad day with the troll.

The ease with which Arneson could swap the combat system leads me to think that he did use Chainmail in combat one more time: late 1972 in Lake Geneva. This makes sense, since he wants to show his game to Gygax and Gygax co-wrote Chainmail so you don’t need to explain to the player what you’re doing for combat if you use the combat system the player wrote. But as both participants in the troll under the bridge scenario agree on the specifics, the basics of Chainmail denialism seem to be true, absent other evidence. Yes, Arneson had good reason to downplay Chainmail and Gygax had good reason to play up Chainmail.

Interestingly it seems that rather than "the Blumes" being the issue, it was more Kevin, the non-gamer. In fact, according to this interview with Jim Ward, Brian was still playing in Ward's home games as late as a decade or so ago. So there wasn't the widespread resentment against him that we might think.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I just did a quick search online and quickly hit on a foreword from OD&D, assuming it was a legit document.

After following this thread and reading the article, I had the feeling that the foreword by Gygax essentially stated in 1974 that Arneson was responsible for the "campaign" concept with ongoing characters and stories. Gygax pretty much claims the rest.

Some have argued a simple split. Gygax wrote mechanics and Arneson made the story aspect.

That foreward says as much from the hand of Gygax!

But what it also implies that after the chocolate and peanut butter got mixed, more got added. And of course the extra part was again gygax.

This rings true to me.

In the world of academic research, and idea without a manuscript and an experiment isn't worth anything. First published is what counts. In grad school there were really smart people that did not get published and some who did not get their dissertation together to graduate.

They could not execute. And here is where my reading leads me with Arneson. He had some creative ideas but could not get them in a form that would be suitable for publication.

Meanwhile this other guy melded ideas and diligently tested reworked and wrote up a lot of stuff after some experimenting.

In the end, Gygax was the force behind D&D, responsible for moving out of their basement and into yours. Arneson was a creative guy that had fun but perhaps had trouble putting things together in a an organized fashion. He did not have the vision and drive that Gygax did even if he had some good ideas first!

I believe the mechanics and flavor were much more Gygax. He recognized a great concept when
He saw it (even if he did not use it first) and reworked it into its most recognizable form.

Credit where credit is due...but in academia you don't often cite the guy that dabbled with a good idea if he did not test, write up and publish, jumping through the hoops. Apparently in our hobby there are some parallels.

I just did a quick search online and quickly hit on a foreword from OD&D, assuming it was a legit document.

After following this thread and reading the article, I had the feeling that the foreword by Gygax essentially stated in 1974 that Arneson was responsible for the "campaign" concept with ongoing characters and stories. Gygax pretty much claims the rest.

Some have argued a simple split. Gygax wrote mechanics and Arneson made the story aspect.

That foreward says as much from the hand of Gygax!

But what it also implies that after the chocolate and peanut butter got mixed, more got added. And of course the extra part was again gygax.

This rings true to me.

In the world of academic research, and idea without a manuscript and an experiment isn't worth anything. First published is what counts. In grad school there were really smart people that did not get published and some who did not get their dissertation together to graduate.

They could not execute. And here is where my reading leads me with Arneson. He had some creative ideas but could not get them in a form that would be suitable for publication.

Meanwhile this other guy melded ideas and diligently tested reworked and wrote up a lot of stuff after some experimenting.

In the end, Gygax was the force behind D&D, responsible for moving out of their basement and into yours. Arneson was a creative guy that had fun but perhaps had trouble putting things together in a an organized fashion. He did not have the vision and drive that Gygax did even if he had some good ideas first!

I believe the mechanics and flavor were much more Gygax. He recognized a great concept when
He saw it (even if he did not use it first) and reworked it into its most recognizable form.

Credit where credit is due...but in academia you don't often cite the guy that dabbled with a good idea if he did not test, write up and publish, jumping through the hoops. Apparently, in our hobby there are some parallels.

But I don't think its a simple as that. There was a lot of people from Arneson's group whose ideas ended up in the final product. On the other side, the contributions of Mentzer, Kask, Ward, Cook, Niles et al can't be discounted. How much of the game today is owed to who is a difficult question to answer with any precision.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads