TSR Rob Kuntz Recounts The Origins Of D&D

hl9tabacful74fpqzzkx.png

In this interesting article from Kotaku, Rob Kuntz relates a history of early TSR that differs somewhat from the narrative we usually hear. It delves into the relationship between Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (D&D's co-creators) and the actual development of the game, which dates back to Arneson in 1971.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey Rob,

Off the normal path, but I know you were around back then and were familiar with the products being put out. Here's a question that's been burning me for years.

One of the items I originally was given was a Holmes Basic Set. In it, I distinctly remember that Elves could be fighters or Magic-users and had to choose which to be and gain Experience each adventure.

I have since lost that set. However, people say that such a thing never existed, or if it did, it was prior to official version being published. In copies I have bought since I find that Elves seem to advance in both fighter and magic-user rather than how I remembered it.

Do you recall the earliest sets of Holmes and if any of those had the rules as I remember them in relation to elves?

I queried Paul Stormberg about this, here's his reply:

Howdy Rob,

Of course that was the case in original D&D but it was in an early draft of the Holmes Basic manuscript and it was dropped for publication. However, the guy who remembered it probably had a DM who just continued to use the OD&D method.

Zenopus (Zach Howard) answered the question in his ongoing analysis of the Holmes Basic manuscript (read down a bit):

Part 3: "Elves Must Decide"

JFYI, I finished my first essay for my column here (about 1,200 words with some interesting images as well) and am near finishing the second as of today. I am aiming at 4-5 finished before turning the batch over to Morrus--trying to stay ahead of the monthly input as I have many other publications/projects on my plate.

Yaarel

He Mage
Zenopus (Zach Howard) answered the question in his ongoing analysis of the Holmes Basic manuscript (read down a bit):

Part 3: "Elves Must Decide"

Now I understand where the conflictive D&D traditions concerning [magical] elven chainmail came from.

The OD&D elf mages could only spellcast in armor if the armor was magic − or at least this was a reasonable interpretation of the rules. And since then, the D&D traditions have changed their minds about this, back and forth. Such as ‘mithril’ etcetera.

Today for 5e, I give the High Elf the ability to cast the Mage Armor spell innately, which looks like silk-like fine-mesh chain armor. In other words, the Mage Armor is the ‘elven armor’. I feel the 5e High Elf is somewhat underpowered compared to the other elves. This additional armor feature helps balance it out, in addition to updating a fun D&D trope concerning elven armor. The update preserves the ‘gishy’ flavor of simultaneously [Dexterity] Fighters and [Intelligence] Wizards, which I have the High Elf especially inherit.

I feel it is also important for a High Elf player to be able to choose whether +2 Intelligence +1 Dexterity, or +2 Dexterity +1 Intelligence, so as to equalize the choice between leaning toward Wizard or Fighter.

In any case, the D&D 1e players who I played with, made a big deal out of the special elven chainmail that Magic-Users could wear. So I am glad the trope remains alive and well.

Last edited:

When I see people questioning Rob Kuntz I have to wade in as well.

It's easy to go online and be yet another self made expert.

So my first question is: Who are you that you think you can disparage Rob Kuntz freely while hiding behind internet anonymity.

My second question is: what are you sources?

I saw a post stating something along the lines of: Others disagree with you. What others disagree with Rob? Using that language is as good as when a politician says: Mistakes have been made. It's a weak tactic, cite your sources and name the names.

Somehow it has been forgotten how research is conducted. Rob is a Primary Source, why attack him? You should be asking him questions.

Most of the arguments being posited against Rob are the same old arguments. They lack sophistication and really do not add anything to the discussion of the history of RPG's.

I am going to pose a serious question for everyone to ruminate on.

Q: How does Gary Gygax learn to play RPG's as a referee?

A: He goes to Minnesota and plays with Arneson and his group of players.

There are letter indicating that this trip occurs and one of the sources from Secrets of Blackmoor told me this story which I recorded.

It is supported by Rob's narrative of: We tried to reproduce what Arneson had done the next morning, but couldn't.

If Gygax does not know how to run an RPG style game, despite a lot of later efforts to create a smoke screen surrounding this issue, why is it the only person on the planet that can teach him to play an RPG is Dave Arneson?

Because Arneson invented what I call the Adventure Game and most people call RPG's.

The flow of information only flows one way - Arneson to Gygax. Without Dave Arneson to teach Gygax this game style, Gygax would be a nobody.

As to who created D&D, it's a collaboration. They did it together. Arneson did a lot more than provide 18 pages of notes. There are entire manuscripts that have been found now that were not typed by Gygax.

Griff

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases