TSR Rob Kuntz Recounts The Origins Of D&D

In this interesting article from Kotaku, Rob Kuntz relates a history of early TSR that differs somewhat from the narrative we usually hear. It delves into the relationship between Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (D&D's co-creators) and the actual development of the game, which dates back to Arneson in 1971.

hl9tabacful74fpqzzkx.png

In this interesting article from Kotaku, Rob Kuntz relates a history of early TSR that differs somewhat from the narrative we usually hear. It delves into the relationship between Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (D&D's co-creators) and the actual development of the game, which dates back to Arneson in 1971.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Still. I knew it was close to Chicago not as close as what you seem to be suggesting.

Close is relative as well if it's an hour drive in the USA that might be close, an hour drive here and you can be half way to the Alps.

Nah, I think it is pretty close. Right now, it takes 45 minutes to get to Milwaukee. For context, it takes me over an hour just to drive from one side of Portland to the other.

Beautiful area? Yes. Small remote town? eh...not so much.

havard

Adventurer
I think that the continuity of character (and advancement) between sessions was a, if not THE, major advancement.

Single shots are fun, but it's campaigns that have always hooked people. "Wait, we keep playing?"

I think identifying what the most important development is will always be difficult because defining what is the core of RPGs will always be somewhat subjective, but I agree that this was a major one. Campaigns were common among Wargamers, but Dave lifted the campaign concept into RPGs.

I also think the taking the Wargaming Refree role and turning it into "the guy who controlled the bad guys" was another very significant step that occurred a few sessions(?) into the Blackmoor campaign.

Wargaming and Braustein games were always games with an objective and where some players would win and others would lose.

-Havard

Zardnaar

Legend
Nah, I think it is pretty close. Right now, it takes 45 minutes to get to Milwaukee. For context, it takes me over an hour just to drive from one side of Portland to the other.

Beautiful area? Yes. Small remote town? eh...not so much.
Completely different scale lol.

(By the way, while I ignored the other commenter, I'll just say that I looked briefly around at some other forums and .... wow ... trolling gamers and calling them mouthbreathers is probably not the best way to sell your product.)

Agreed. But consider that same thread around page 3 where two posters are actually mouthing outright lies about me and defaming me. I warned Griff not to get involved in that. Now, on the flip side, you pressed me pretty hard but I stared it down. Perhaps there is now a mutual respect though we disagree. But when one, as noted, starts off attacking, defaming, bitter, and enraged as in that thread aforementioned, mouth breathers is not too far off the axis, methinks. I just would never have jumped into that buzz saw to begin with.

I saw that earlier bit, which is why I am neither linking to, nor stating what forum it is in. But that's just one person; unfortunately, there's always one person.

But you can't troll your audience.

(Heh ... pushed you hard? C'mon ... you've chewed up harder than me and spit 'em back out before! ;) )

OK. I'm not getting soft, but as you age you tend to dislike negativity in whatever form unless one is a die hard bully or ruffian, the latter whom I tend to avoid en toto. SO: "You pushed me harder than those others present." OK? Robilar's no sissy man. He's got Dragons and will use them!!! ;)

The 2nd Column for ENWorld is finished (about 1,100 words) and the third is near finished. Going shopping with the Mrs. on Friday. An exhausting trip so I will not be posting until Saturday. Have a great weekend and happy gaming!

1st Column: The Beginning: 1968 and Meeting Gary Gygax and the Gygax Family.

2nd Column: Greyhawk Theatrics, Comments, and Quips from the Lake Geneva Gamers

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads