TSR Rob Kuntz Recounts The Origins Of D&D

hl9tabacful74fpqzzkx.png

In this interesting article from Kotaku, Rob Kuntz relates a history of early TSR that differs somewhat from the narrative we usually hear. It delves into the relationship between Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (D&D's co-creators) and the actual development of the game, which dates back to Arneson in 1971.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burt Baccara

Explorer
Hi Rob,

Just back to say thank you for answering my questions. Also thank you for the link to the BGG thread with the IFW folks reminiscing, that was amazing. For some reason, I always pictured Don Lowry as an older guy at that time, but he looks younger than Gary—i think Gary is the oldest fellow in the photos I saw, at I guess around 29–30.

Burt Baccara

Explorer
Except Gary did not commute by car (he never had a license or car), he took the train from LG to work every day which lengthened the trip due to stops and the worsening condition of the tracks which forced it to travel at decreasing speeds over its history of use. I rode it as well with Gary, I would say it was, including stops, traveling 40mph tops.

Hi Rob,

How long was the train trip? Did Gay generally use that time for gaming (postal and writing) or cathing up on sleep?

Hi Rob,

How long was the train trip? Did Gay generally use that time for gaming (postal and writing) or cathing up on sleep?

I suspect that the train ride was around 1,5 hours, maybe more, and then he had to walk some blocks to FF after arriving in Chicago. I only rode with him once to a convention in Chicago. I did walk with him to the train several times to see him off. He most likely read SF/F fiction and/or newsletters in transit for he was not one to take naps or such once awake.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Except Gary did not commute by car (he never had a license or car), he took the train from LG to work every day which lengthened the trip due to stops and the worsening condition of the tracks which forced it to travel at decreasing speeds over its history of use. I rode it as well with Gary, I would say it was, including stops, traveling 40mph tops.

I knew he didn't drive but didn't really think about what that meant for the commute. While longer, I'd guess it gave him a good chunk of time to read and perhaps even write and design. When I lived in New York, I enjoyed the train ride into Manhattan and got a lot of reading done over the commuting to and from work.

It still seems strange to me to grow up in that area of the country and not learn to drive. It isn't like New York City. It would be quite inconvenient to not be able to drive in Lake Geneva. I assume that when Gary started making good money he hired a driver. Or perhaps had employees/co-workers drive him around. Reminds me of the Weird Al Yankovich son: "The Boy Could Dance."

I knew he didn't drive but didn't really think about what that meant for the commute. While longer, I'd guess it gave him a good chunk of time to read and perhaps even write and design. When I lived in New York, I enjoyed the train ride into Manhattan and got a lot of reading done over the commuting to and from work.

It still seems strange to me to grow up in that area of the country and not learn to drive. It isn't like New York City. It would be quite inconvenient to not be able to drive in Lake Geneva. I assume that when Gary started making good money he hired a driver. Or perhaps had employees/co-workers drive him around. Reminds me of the Weird Al Yankovich son: "The Boy Could Dance."

Gary relied on his mother to help get the family places
Friends like Don Kaye
Then my brother taught Mary how to drive and with Gary's mother's help they purchased an old station wagon
Then, much later when Gary was making the bucks, he got a driver/body guard, Jim, who got him around

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Gary relied on his mother to help get the family places
Friends like Don Kaye
Then my brother taught Mary how to drive and with Gary's mother's help they purchased an old station wagon
Then, much later when Gary was making the bucks, he got a driver/body guard, Jim, who got him around

My mom grew up in rural Wisconsin in the 50's, up in Sheboygan County: my experience of people from the area is that knowing how to drive was fairly routine: did Gygax have some particular aversion?

Last edited:

I have finished my fourth installment for my ENWorld column. It weighs in at about 1,500 words (hopefully not causing Morrus to fret, but I was as concise as possible with the breadth of topics covered).

GENCON IX: When Many Sought Adventure

image-8978-galleryV9-ndyj copy.jpg

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases