Robert Schwalb releases his version of Warlord

Robert Schwalb, who designed one of my favorite games (Shadow of the Demon Lord), with a version of one of my favorite classes? Sold.

Robert Schwalb, who designed one of my favorite games (Shadow of the Demon Lord), with a version of one of my favorite classes? Sold.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It's charisma creep.

I've posted on this before, and it's definitely worth its own topic, but charisma has morphed from a dump stat that was often confused/conflated with "physical attractiveness" back in the day to a world-eating stat that will soon envelop all of Intelligence and Wisdom.

Nom nom nom.

Yeah, that's all we need is another class that gets enveloped into the incessant multiclassing of disparate identities for no other reason that they use the same ability score and thus can be min-maxed with ease. ;)

The warlord isn't only for PCs but also to be the leader of monster squads and the PCs have to choose between to attack the buffer boss or the buffed big guy.

If there is a module about skimishes gangs vs gangs or mass battles, the warlord could be very useful. Maybe we will see a Real Time Strategy D&D videogame set in Cerilia (Birthright).

Aldarc

Legend
It's charisma creep.

I've posted on this before, and it's definitely worth its own topic, but charisma has morphed from a dump stat that was often confused/conflated with "physical attractiveness" back in the day to a world-eating stat that will soon envelop all of Intelligence and Wisdom.

Nom nom nom.
It can be both.

Satyrn

First Post
I am interested to have a loom at his version of the warlord. I read on Reddit there were a couple of problems with it but still I think it is worth checking out for myself.

Follow the link in the OP to the review, and a link in the review to the product's DriveThruRPG page. Download the full sample and you can see the full body class but none of the subclasses.

I am not sold.

Follow the link in the OP to the review, and a link in the review to the product's DriveThruRPG page. Download the full sample and you can see the full body class but none of the subclasses.

I am not sold.

Yeah, gonna have to agree. Nothing against Rob as he is a talented designer and clearly has struck on something people are clamoring for. But, IMO, the base class does seem like a glorified Valor Bard with the Inspiring Leader feat and perhaps even has the Aid and/or Bless spells through magical secrets. No TPP truly necessary.

Satyrn

First Post
It can be both a dump stat, AND a world-eating stat that has destroyed intelligence and wisdom?

The mind ... um ... charisma ... BOGGLES! :)

Yeah, you dump it down the toilet, then it haunts the sewers until it grows into a giant world-eating alligator.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Among other abilities, and at 6th level, yes.

It has a bunch of abilities that are carefully worded but are good. A damage bonus at lvl 3 (CHR mod) that applies to weapon attacks if within a certain distance of your aura. Bonus to Initiative. You are right that its pretty good.

I don't know how it plays but I think it will be ok. Will try this weekend.

Remove ads

Remove ads