Robert Schwalb releases his version of Warlord

Robert Schwalb, who designed one of my favorite games (Shadow of the Demon Lord), with a version of one of my favorite classes? Sold.

Robert Schwalb, who designed one of my favorite games (Shadow of the Demon Lord), with a version of one of my favorite classes? Sold.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Can it give its action freely to someone else? :)

At 6th level you can forgo an attack and cause an ally to take a reaction to make a weapon attack. At 10th level you can grant allies they ability to spend hit dice without a rest (AND they can remove 1 lev exhaustion). Of course, lots of other abilities in there, but these two stood out. It's worth the small sum to purchase it.

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
Y'know, although it's a completely redundant class, you would've thought since there's a screaming need for another Int-based class - and since Warlords are supposed to be master tacticians, maybe having some of its key abilities key off Int would've been, y'know, a no-brainer? But, nooo, we have yet another Cha-based class. Cause we need more of those.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Y'know, although it's a completely redundant class, you would've thought since there's a screaming need for another Int-based class - and since Warlords are supposed to be master tacticians, maybe having some of its key abilities key off Int would've been, y'know, a no-brainer? But, nooo, we have yet another Cha-based class. Cause we need more of those.
Yea, this turned out to be very far from my favorite version of a warlord. The lack of any use for Intelligence (in a document where "tactical genius" is explicitly mentioned as a character concept) is one of my several issues. These issues range from petty (two strong saves is a no-no!) to more severe (too many subclasses that aren't well differentiated, getting a 3rd attack at 11th with no restrictions, can switch from full fighter to full lazylord every round at level 6, no build considerations required).

Commercially sold, but not emotionally sold. :(

Aldarc

Legend
The Intelligence/Charisma divide is unfortunately a shortcoming of D&D when it comes to describing a skill set for the Warlord that may broadly span what we could call "wits." Other systems that are less reliant on this spread of attributes could potentially have a much easier time with creating a Warlord that encompasses both Intelligence/Charisma.

That said, I do appreciate Schwalb's efforts.

Remove ads

Remove ads