• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robert Schwalb releases his version of Warlord

Robert Schwalb, who designed one of my favorite games (Shadow of the Demon Lord), with a version of one of my favorite classes? Sold.

Robert Schwalb, who designed one of my favorite games (Shadow of the Demon Lord), with a version of one of my favorite classes? Sold.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Can it give its action freely to someone else? :)

At 6th level you can forgo an attack and cause an ally to take a reaction to make a weapon attack. At 10th level you can grant allies they ability to spend hit dice without a rest (AND they can remove 1 lev exhaustion). Of course, lots of other abilities in there, but these two stood out. It's worth the small sum to purchase it.

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
Y'know, although it's a completely redundant class, you would've thought since there's a screaming need for another Int-based class - and since Warlords are supposed to be master tacticians, maybe having some of its key abilities key off Int would've been, y'know, a no-brainer? But, nooo, we have yet another Cha-based class. Cause we need more of those.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Y'know, although it's a completely redundant class, you would've thought since there's a screaming need for another Int-based class - and since Warlords are supposed to be master tacticians, maybe having some of its key abilities key off Int would've been, y'know, a no-brainer? But, nooo, we have yet another Cha-based class. Cause we need more of those.
Yea, this turned out to be very far from my favorite version of a warlord. The lack of any use for Intelligence (in a document where "tactical genius" is explicitly mentioned as a character concept) is one of my several issues. These issues range from petty (two strong saves is a no-no!) to more severe (too many subclasses that aren't well differentiated, getting a 3rd attack at 11th with no restrictions, can switch from full fighter to full lazylord every round at level 6, no build considerations required).

Commercially sold, but not emotionally sold. :(

Aldarc

Legend
The Intelligence/Charisma divide is unfortunately a shortcoming of D&D when it comes to describing a skill set for the Warlord that may broadly span what we could call "wits." Other systems that are less reliant on this spread of attributes could potentially have a much easier time with creating a Warlord that encompasses both Intelligence/Charisma.

That said, I do appreciate Schwalb's efforts.

Remove ads

Remove ads