• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Robin Hood ish setting?

Morlock

Banned
Banned
More of a mini-setting. I was going to write up a small, PoL sandbox type campaign setting, and was wondering if anyone had already done so with a similar premise:

The game starts in a realm ruled by a usurper, and there's an insurgency underway. The players can join the rebels, or the king, or wander off to the borderlands to find some dungeons to plunder. The optional "twist" being, the choice between the rebels and the usurper is grey, not black and white.

I have a few ideas already, but I wouldn't mind seeing how someone else approached this.

One of my ideas was to have the court be set up for lots of intrigue. Various factions vying for second place, or even first place, if they're really devious. One source I was thinking of plundering for ideas about this is the old Enemy Within campaign, I remember reading that there's at least one court intrigue setup.

Another idea was that while the king and his family are in fact evil, he and the nobility put on a really good show of being honorable, decent folks, and their rule is only subtly oppressive. Meanwhile the rebels seem to be a rather unsavory lot, with little to recommend them other than the fact that they are ruled by a usurper. Meaning, the players may have a hard choice if they're going to choose sides in the conflict.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I did have an idea for a scenario like that. It was going to be a 4e con game, then 5e came out and I signed up to run a bunch of intro 5e game, instead. I was going to use pregens, and it would have been a story arc rather than sandbox, so a lot of what I have is about those characters and their relationships, some of the rest uses 4e bits (Nerath, Feywild, keywords, etc). PM me an email if you want me to forward what I have, a lot of it'd be off-topic, at best.

This was going to be the blurb: "You are member of "The Merry Band," a collection of good-natured outlaws, human and fey, who hide in an enchanted forest that resists encroachment from the surrounding kingdom. Over the years, a long succession of Kings have died, been usurped by their brothers, been conquered only to return in triumph, and generally played musical chairs with the throne. The current King is an usurper and Despot, on the throne for the second time (you helped depose him the first time). Now, a legitimate claimant to the throne has come to you for help. He promises to be a better King than the usurper. It's a promise you've heard before, and he couldn't possibly be worse than the current guy. Even so, you're starting to wonder if it's all worth it."

Last edited:

OldSkoolRPG

First Post
More of a mini-setting. I was going to write up a small, PoL sandbox type campaign setting, and was wondering if anyone had already done so with a similar premise:

The game starts in a realm ruled by a usurper, and there's an insurgency underway. The players can join the rebels, or the king, or wander off to the borderlands to find some dungeons to plunder. The optional "twist" being, the choice between the rebels and the usurper is grey, not black and white.

I have a few ideas already, but I wouldn't mind seeing how someone else approached this.

One of my ideas was to have the court be set up for lots of intrigue. Various factions vying for second place, or even first place, if they're really devious. One source I was thinking of plundering for ideas about this is the old Enemy Within campaign, I remember reading that there's at least one court intrigue setup.

Another idea was that while the king and his family are in fact evil, he and the nobility put on a really good show of being honorable, decent folks, and their rule is only subtly oppressive. Meanwhile the rebels seem to be a rather unsavory lot, with little to recommend them other than the fact that they are ruled by a usurper. Meaning, the players may have a hard choice if they're going to choose sides in the conflict.

Sounds very much like Empire vs Stormcloak subplot in Skyrim to me. I think they did a pretty good job of setting it up so there was no clearly "good" side. You might look to that for some ideas.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich

One thing I'd personally consider: shades of grey tends to work better with every evil having some good than with everything that seems to be good really being evil.

Like, if I were to consider the sides of a Robin Hood story, I'd say that the Merry Men-equivalent ARE criminals. With all the unsavoriness that entails - murder, pillage, rape, ruthlessness. The leader robs from the rich to give to the poor, but the rich aren't just robbed, they're hung limbless from the branches of trees on the main trade road. I might draw inspiration from the more upsetting stories out of the drug kingpins in Mexico and Columbia - Robin Hood sets himself up as a noble defender of the weak against a corrupt state, a merry outlaw who lives by his own rules, but his campaign of terror and silence has Sherwood and beyond terrified.

And yet, there are those within the Merry Men who long for something more. Little John has been Robin's friend since childhood, and still has some of that idealism ("I know I'm bound to Hell for the things I've done, but I want my children to live in a world of peace, like Robin and I used to talk about, so that they don't have to join me."). Friar Tuck is an ally of compassion rather than encouragement ("We have two choices in this world: Robin or the Sherrif. I chose the ones who needed someone to look after their souls.")

Meanwhile, the Sheriff and his associates are powerful, corrupt, and decadent. Bribery is rampant and each soldier cares more about their own purse than about law and order. Petty violence on the common people is a regular occurrence, and none will reign in his excesses. Here I might loot from the Gotham TV show - villains are out there doing horrible things (the Merry Men), and no good deed goes unpunished - people accept it, profit from it, encourage it. Because you can't speak out about it - you'll be killed in your sleep. But the Sheriff is a guy in a no-win situation ("How do I protect the people of this town from those monsters if I don't have a force to hunt them down?"), and Maid Marian is in with the criminals (she's a rebellious teen into drugs and a bit of an egomaniac - "NOBODY tells me what I can and can't do. This town is MINE."), but she's a tragic figure whose nihilism can risk all she has. The Lion-Hearted King is a warmonger who wants little to do with his backwater country in Nottingham, but who perhaps has an icy honor and a child he hopes to raise there.

The PC's? Well, in good ol' D&D fashion, they'll trop into town and start messin' up the joint. The important bit will be to have scenes showing the good intentions (and possible successful world-states) of both sides. You have Little John and his adorable moppets playing in the forest (only to flee in panic when the Sheriff arrives - PC's, quick, make a distraction, slow him down, or an adorable moppet might die!). You help out the Sheriff on patrol with some of his good buddies one night (they're all talkative and content and talking about their plans for when the Merry Men are finally gone), and the next morning you find them decapitated on the road, red arrows sticking out of them (the mark of the Merry Men). They should maybe take a few missions from each side at first, maybe even against a common enemy that, if war still rules their lives, will definitely overwhelm them ("The orcs in the north have been mustering, but our guards can't stop them if they're busy trying to hunt down Robin!" / "We've spied orcs mustering in the north, but we can't do anything about it while on the run!").

The "dungeons" here might be the fortresses and lairs of each band - dangerous, and likely to result in death if diplomacy isn't used.

The "dragons" here are each side's leaders (Robin and the Sheriff). As long as the rivalry continues, no peace can be lasting or achieved, so the PC's need to eliminate one before the Orcs come and eliminate everyone. "Eliminate" might mean slay, but it might also mean simply exile, or get to leave (Robin will leave with Marian, so you need to abduct her from where the Sheriff is keeping her and avoid the Sheriff's guards and get her to Robin and persuade them to work together and THEN Robin leaves and the Sheriff wins / OR the Sheriff will leave with Marian, but she'll never love him, so you've gotta get him to admit that to himself and get him fired by Richard), depending on how stuff shakes out.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I have something like this half-formed in my head, though it's more like there is a good guy (Rex), but he was a rake and ne'er-do-well who managed to get out-maneuvered politically by his uncle for the throne. Most people consider Rex a bit of an annoying trouble maker, and while Maledict is a bit stricter than the old king, and taxes are higher, at least I don't have to worry he will ruin my daughters! What no one knows (but maybe there are rumors) is that Maledict poisoned his brother the king (shades of Hamlet) and is secretly a follower of Asmodeus, possibly a lich.

empireofchaos

First Post
"Adventurers needed:

• Help John, the legitimate regent, collect a levy so that Good King Richard, who wandered off on Crusade after just a year on the Throne can return from his Austrian captivity and resume his kingly duties!
  • Protect the King's deer from poachers in Sherwood Forest!
  • Defend the Realm from corrupt barons who would usurp royal authority!
  • Reward in silver and a share of the proceeds to all who sign up to keep order in the Kingdom!"

(how to effectively recruit PCs in terms they'll understand).

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
In a Robin Hood - inspired campaign, there should be a faction that is clearly Good and able to protect itself and worthy of the Heroes' friendship. There should be a faction that is clearly Evil and clearly an opponent. Another faction could be composed of Folk Heroes.
Somebody who is a titular leader of one faction should be almost a Paladin. He is the person who the general populace (the unarmed peasants that everybody else steps on) will turn to for protection and inspiration. It is not obvious that he also has a CG Bard with Expertise(Persuasion) as a close ally, helping to spread his reputation.

strider13x

First Post
One approach could be the king died and there is multiple folks vying for the throne. The Church has to bless the king, the Sheriff has a claim as does the leader of the local thieves guild (which operates from the forest). And the local Mages guild knows of powerful artifacts that can sway the tide either way.

Unwise

Adventurer
My advice as somebody that has run a campaign like what the OP is suggesting is, don't do it. If you have a world of grey, then every victory feels less heroic. Players don't pat themselves on the back for choosing the lesser of two evils. They feel that they are not really making a difference and that if everybody is an ahole anyway, why not just be in it for ourselves.

Remember that the PCs need motivation, taking away good v bad helps destroy that motivation until only self-interest or misplaced senses of duty remain.

If you want competing factions and shades of grey, I suggest keeping at very least a straight up Big Bad Guy. If the evil king has good duty bound knights who serve him begrudgingly and wish he was not evil, that is interesting. If the King's son is a good kid who would make a fine king, if the Queen is really a succubus that has made the king what he is, these are good things. If the good hearted rebel leader has a splinter faction in another region that is hanging any collaborator with the crown, then that is interesting too.

None of those suggestions though deride the good vs evil of the campaign. The King is bad, the rebel leader is good. Play around with the surrounding ideas, but don't mess with the core of what makes a heroic Robin Hood fantasy.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Robin Hood is about dispossession and disenfranchisement, when a usurper takes a Point of Light and turns it into a nightmare.

The usurper grinds down on the people, but they have nowhere to go. Literally nowhere. And some turn feral.

If I were at it, I'd start the PCs in a hometown that gets utterly put down and razed for rebelling. Press that dispossession button. And the fact that the usurper couldn't have done this if the legit ruler were around.

Now, survive outside the PoL. Make it. Deal with refugees and bandits and monsters. And eke out what revenge you can.

You want courtly intrigue? Cool. Instead of a nation, the usurper territory is a principality. Ruled by a baron under a lord. Or a lord under some overlord. Move against the usurper on multiple fronts. But he's rich, connected, powerful, & corrupt. Unafraid to use the muscle and machinations of "the state" to crush opposition. The overlord needs the lords to keep PoLs in good working order, so he's unwilling to depose anyone unless it means the collapse of the area. He may even support his little tyrant, unaware of the injustices. "Don't fix what isn't broken" kind of thing.

And on these fronts, your campaign can play out. Perhaps the PCs try to turn to the church for intercession. Or rouse the people. Or play the game of thrones.

Sounds like a neat game. I'd totally play a human fighter (archer) in it.

Remove ads