Rogue/Barbarian sneak attack while raging?

Xarlen

First Post
Magic Rub said:

Sorry KR, both Uller & you say I can't listen to you, because you're a bad man. So I'm not going to listen to the fact that you told me to not listen to you. You're an evil master mind that is trying to get me to talk about nothing. When I should be talking about D&D which is a far more elevated & enlightened subject which is nigh divine in nature. From all accounts it seems that soon your evil aura will ooze forth from my monitor and have me so confused that I won't know what to do with myself. oh God no!!! it's starting!!! ... can ... feel .. free .. will & sanity slipping a. . . way . . .:eek:

Make a sanity check. ;)

Xarlen

First Post
Just to toss another example out there (And maybe play Devil's Advocate), would you say that Using a magical device requires concentration?

Let's take, for instance, a Wand of Fireballs. And, a command word of Firepants.

It could go of two ways.

Grall grabs the wand of fireballs at his belt. He rages. "Grra! SMASH! BURN! You DIE FIREPANTS!" And a little curl of smoke comes from the end of Grall's wand because, he can't conctrate to Use Magic Device. No firepants for him.

OR...

Grall grabs the wand of fireballs in his fit of rage. He points, and shrieks "FIREPANTS!" And focuses all of that rage into willing the magical item to activate. *BOOM* The trolls are now roasted, toasted, and ready for dindin. Firepants indeed.

For that matter, what about things like Spot? Listen? Would you say that the barbarian as so unfocused that even if he spots something, he's not going to notice, or care, because HULK SMASH? That his mind is so enraged, he may not CARE that that guy in the funny robe is pulling out a wand. He needs to make squishy stains out of what he's smacking now.

Last edited:

So it seems that all of the demigods of this board are of the "opinion" that a Rogue/Barbarians can sneak attack and rage. And can open locks and rage since it is not expressly prohited.

Please do not think that I am looking to you for approval on how I interperet the rules.

I remain confused,

Corwin the Confused

P.S. I am sorry if you all are offended by a lively discussion, no, wait; I am not sorry. I thought that this was the whole purpose of these boards.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Corwin the Confused said:
So it seems that all of the demigods of this board are of the "opinion" that a Rogue/Barbarians can sneak attack and rage. And can open locks and rage since it is not expressly prohited.

Please do not think that I am looking to you for approval on how I interperet the rules.

I remain confused,

Corwin the Confused

P.S. I am sorry if you all are offended by a lively discussion, no, wait; I am not sorry. I thought that this was the whole purpose of these boards.

When did any of us seem offended?

You asked, we answered, you didn't like the answer, and you decided to get all self righteous.

Apparently you are going to remain confused until you get the answer you want to hear.

*shrug* Sounds like you are the one with the problem, not us. (Whoever this "us" is, at any rate. )

Last edited:

Uller

Adventurer
kreynolds said:
WizarDru and Magic Rub. As I warned Corwin, you're probably better off not supporting me, thanking me, laughing at my jokes, or even acknowledging my existence. Why? Well, apparently...

...see what I mean? You guys want people here to like you, right? ;)

No. No! I meant that in a _good_ way! Really... :rolleyes:

Uller

Adventurer

I have repeatedly stated that I want to know the official rule or the intent of the offial rule.

Did it ever occur to anyone that there is likely _no_ official rule? The rules do not expressly prohibit it, so if your DM rules that sneak attacking does not require concentration, then you can. If your DM rules that it does, then you can't. There is not and never will be(and never should be) a definative list of things that can and can't be done while raging. Just some examples to give you a clue.

Many of the rules are purposely left vague in order to allow the DM to be flexible and sensible and still be within the 'official' rules.

(others are unintentionally vague andpoorly written...but that's another thread.)

Gromm

First Post
MasterOfHeaven said:
All Wizardru is saying is the Sages opinion holds no more weight than anyone elses on this issue until it is official. The Sage has often made contradictory rulings on several issues, and on some issues simply stupid rulings. For example, back when Sword & Fist first came out, the Halfling Outrider had been printed without a BAB progression.

Wanting to know what the actual progression of the Halfling Riders BAB was, e-mails were sent to the Sage. His response? "The Halfling Outrider has no BAB". It was at that point several people stopped really caring what the Sage had to say on an issue, including me. When the official errata came out, of course, the Halfling Outriders BAB progression was included. Apparently they did have a BAB progression after all. :rolleyes:

The Sage does not errata. At the time that was the BAB progression for the Outrider (until people pointed out it was a really stupid idea). So they then errata'd it. Skip doesn't chaneg existing rules. At the time his comment was correct, even by the account of the person that made the PrC. He sometimes offers suggestions, but usually he quotes the rules as they are (usually with a yes or no answer).

Caliban said:

When did any of us seem offended?

You asked, we answered, you didn't like the answer, and you decided to get all self righteous.

Apparently you are going to remain confused until you get the answer you want to hear.

*shrug* Sounds like you are the one with the problem, not us. (Whoever this "us" is, at any rate. )

I asked a question. I gave my opinion of what I thought was correct or plausable. Then a select few that disagreed with what I thought, they tried to convince me that I was wrong. It is all opinion no matter what you think. And I thought I was entitled to my opinion. I do not no where in your opinion that I turned self-righteous.

If someone disagrees with you are they self-righteous?

Perhaps if I sit around all day and pontificate enought to have 100-700 posts, I will be as wise as you.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I do not no where in your opinion that I turned self-righteous.

"P.S. I am sorry if you all are offended by a lively discussion, no, wait; I am not sorry. I thought that this was the whole purpose of these boards."

That part, right there.

No, that's when I get self-righteous. How dare you disagree with me!

Perhaps if I sit around all day and pontificate enough to have 100-700 posts, I will be as wise as you.

We can only hope.

kreynolds

First Post
I asked a question. I gave my opinion of what I thought was correct or plausable. Then a select few that disagreed with what I thought, they tried to convince me that I was wrong. It is all opinion no matter what you think. And I thought I was entitled to my opinion. I do not no where in your opinion that I turned self-righteous.

Corwin. Listen. I don't want you to feel singled out, but look at it like this. If you come here to express your opinion, and request the opinion of others, there is bound to be discussion. Some will think you are wrong while others will think you are right. If discussion wasn't a factor, then every single post on these boards would look like this...

Board Member #1: I think it works like this.
Board Member #2: I think it works like this.
*End of thread*

...What's the point in that? This is a discussion board, a place where discussion are held. You express your opinion, I express mine, someone else expresses their's, then everybody gets involved to poke holes in each others opinions for the purpose of coming to a single opinion that either A) benefits eveyone, and/or B) makes the most sense within the rules, and/or C) just makes the game more fun.

Not at all. If you express your opinion, and someone else disagrees with your opinion, that's just a fact of life. Like I said, this is a discussion board, so if you came here to express your opinion but you weren't actually here to listen to other opinions, then you might have come here for the wrong reasons, or you should just ignore the ones that you don't agree with.

You are fully entitled to your own opinion. If you don't want to allow a raging Barbarian/Rogue to be able to Sneak Attack, that's perfectly fine. As a DM, it is well within your right to make any rulings you see fit. The only thing you can hope for is that your players won't have a problem with your ruling. If they don't, that's awesome. If they do, then you might want to think about your ruling and see if it's fair, and coming here to explain why you made that ruling is the whole purpose of these boards.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy with a Barbarian/Rogue not being able to sneak attack while raging, thus I wouldn't play a Barbarian/Rogue in your games. This is not to say that I wouldn't play a Fighter/Rogue in your games, just not a Barbarian/Rogue, because I believe opposite of what you do. It's not an insult that I don't agree. We just have different play styles. However, it is also well within both of our rights to think that the other is just full of it and has no clue how the rules actually work. It just depends on how strongly your belief of a rule is.

If you question your own opinion or ruling, or if you would like another viewpoint to see if your opinion or ruling is fair, just, and makes sense, then this is the place to express your opinion or ruling. If, however, you do not question your opinion or ruling, and you already believe it to be fair, just, and makes sense, then why bother posting in the first place if you aren't willing to listen to other's opinions?

When you express your opinion, others are bound to disagree. If you didn't request advice or if you didn't ask if anyone thinks your opinion is wrong, then just ignore any posts that say so. Sift through those posts and just pay attention to those that are useful to you.

Perhaps if I sit around all day and pontificate enought to have 100-700 posts, I will be as wise as you.

Post count has nothing to do with it. Crothian has a better overall grasp of the rules than I, and he has more posts than I. Caliban has one of the better overall grasps of the rules than 95% of the people here, and his posts are fewer than mine. My grasp of the rules is pretty specific in a few areas, and is not overall. Post counts have nothing to do with it. And as I'm sure you've noticed, Crothian, Caliban, and myself are very different individuals. You'll never get the same reply from the three of us, and that also applies to just about everyone here.

Look, bottom line is this. I don't have a problem with you or anyone else calling me a Sadistic Pig-Headed Arrogant Infantile Egomaniac, but I certainly do have a problem when you generalize this board as a whole. Not everyone is as big of a pain in the arse as me, so you should give them some credit.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Welcome to the boards. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads