• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue starting weapon

Moto Jojo

First Post
I, for one, would likely still use regular daggers if I wanted the versatility of being able to throw them (kukris don't have a range increment). Kukris are better straight melee weapons than a regular dagger, daggers are a bit more versatile. That seems a pretty decent tradeoff to me.

StealthyMark

First Post
kukri are "heavy, curved dagger"s
If you open this can of worms, the next time your player will want to throw the kukri and of course his Weapon Focus (Dagger) also applies to Kukris. Don't confuse descriptive text with rules. A shortsword is only a little bit larger than a dagger, though no wizard/sorcerer is proficient with it.

Zhure

First Post
It's hardly canonical, but the character generator treats the kukri as a non-proficient weapon for Rogues if they don't take EWP: Kukri.

Greg

Lordrel

First Post
Oh well, so it looks like I ruled incorrectly on this one. I appreciate all the responses. Fortunatly, none of my players are munchkins, so he really wants to use the kukri just because he likes it. In the session last night, it really didn't make much of a difference....maybe accounted for one extra critical threat. All I'll do now is ensure he finds a +1 somethingorother...and the kukri will be history.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads