• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue's At-Will Sly Flourish, is it too good ?

themilkman

First Post
A Brute Rogue also is going to get +Str when using Sneak Attack so that's Str + Cha + Dex for damage which is really, really good.

After maxing two stats, though, you're not going to have much room left for the other one. The third stat probably won't start above 12 or 13. So that's an extra +1 damage at 1st level. At higher levels, the extra bonus might get a bit better, but probably not by much, and not enough to seriously outpace the HP of your enemies.

At any rate, Brutal Scoundrels would probably benefit more from putting those extra points into Con (rather than Cha) over the long run, so the incremental benefit of Sly Flourish for Brutal Scoundrel Rogues is questionable.

Regardless, Sly Flourish remains a solid (but IMO not overpowered or broken) power.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMHO Piercing Strike and Deft Strike are better for the Halfling, who is the race best suited to take advantage of Sly Flourish. Piercing is better for when you want raw damage, and Deft is better when you want to most damagingly provoke OAs from a marked target.

Sly Flourish has its place for guys who want some flexibility regarding ranged attacks, but it's a step down from the other two in terms of damage potential.

Cheers, -- N

Deft strike is seriously good. Move behind wall, stealth, deft strike out with combat advantage and chuck the dagger. Even a brutal rogue can benefit by not putting himself in harm's way (especially if he starts the turn behind the wall with stealth, then deft strikes, then moves and restealths). I would love my Kobolds to have deft strike -- they can stealth really well, but it's very hard to leverage that into anything useful.

Jack99

Adventurer
Riposte Strike - This is for the free ranging rogue, who cares less about Sneak Attack and more about mobility around the field and engaging an enemy who is hiding behind the lines. Move through their lines, Riposte their warlord. It's great for the "Go it alone" rogue.

At higher level, Riposte Strike is awesome. It also ensures one more round of sneak attack damage against lone creatures. (This is assuming you have lasting frost and wintertouched)

Arbitrary

First Post
After maxing two stats, though, you're not going to have much room left for the other one. The third stat probably won't start above 12 or 13. So that's an extra +1 damage at 1st level. .
'

I don't think you should dismiss it that quickly because it is a unique opportunity to get an extra reward for balanced stats. Starting out with something like 19/16/14/10/10/8 as a Dragonborne covers all your defenses and sets up routine damage increases in a system that kinda makes you always want to have a 20 in your primary.

It's likely worse than a dex/con/cha configuration but everyone who puts an emphasis on strength has to make a sacrifice.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
At higher level, Riposte Strike is awesome. It also ensures one more round of sneak attack damage against lone creatures. (This is assuming you have lasting frost and wintertouched)

It's also assuming that the foe attacks you, which is my problem with riposte strike in the first place.

Kintara

First Post
It's also assuming that the foe attacks you, which is my problem with riposte strike in the first place.
Well, that's why you are targeting a "lone" creature, so they have fewer options about who to attack. But one thing you can do is force the monster into a trap. Team up with the Infernalock and have Riposte Strike on one side and Hellish Rebuke on the other. Or if you go first and hit (or if you have combat advantage from some other means than flanking), then the Warlord can Viper's Strike and shift away.

Edit: But I agree with you, too. Riposte Strike isn't as useful if you're flanking with the Fighter.

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
I'm not sure I've seen riposte strike actually inflict extra damage on any creature yet in the ~4 sessions I've been grouped with someone who had it. So I deem it quite effective for controlling the monster into not attacking and quite unreliable for actually getting the rogue the extra attack.

I haven't seen Sly Flourish in play, but I don't think it looks that exceptional as an at-will power. Paladins and Wizards get Holy Strike and Cloud of Daggers - both at-wills that add a second stat to damage, and I haven't seen many arguments that they are too powerful. An optimized high Dex and high Cha Rogue will get a lot out of it, but otherwise I'd prefer Deft Strike and the Rogue's truly exceptional at-will, Piercing Strike, aka "I hit"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads