D&D 5E Rogue's Cunning Action to Hide: In Combat??

Zardnaar

Legend
People standing in a heavily obscured area or with total cover in relation to the opponent CAN HIDE. It's that simple, really. This shouldn't be up for debate.
You can't see things behind a wall or in total darkness.

Yep I'm talking about sniping and then trying to use your bonus action to hide in the same place repeatably.

Or the Halfling hiding behind a medium size creature. That trick will work once. Otherwise you're getting a poor man's greature invisibility at will.

Yep I'm talking about sniping and then trying to use your bonus action to hide in the same place repeatably.

Or the Halfling hiding behind a medium size creature. That trick will work once. Otherwise you're getting a poor man's greature invisibility at will.
Yes, but that NOT what OP was talking about. His DM doesn't let people hide in combat AT ALL.

Yora

Legend
That's not what the post said, though. It says there that the enemy can see the rogue and therefore the rogue can't hide being the GM's reason to not allow it.

Yora

Legend
The DM, backed up by her husband, insisted that it's impossible to hide during combat. They pointed to the section on page 177 of the PHB that says "You can't hide from a creature that can see you clearly" and said that since Xipe could see the rogue, that meant she couldn't hide.
:p
Point being, the post is too ambiguous to make sweeping statements.

Deadstop

Explorer
The DM in question seems to be combining ”You can’t hide/remain hidden from someone who can trivially see you” and “creatures in combat are generally aware of their surroundings and the locations of enemies” to get “you’re never in a position to be able to hide in combat.”

The DM in question seems to be combining ”You can’t hide/remain hidden from someone who can trivially see you” and “creatures in combat are generally aware of their surroundings and the locations of enemies” to get “you’re never in a position to be able to hide in combat.”
The post made it abundantly clear the DM is one of those who actually thinks sneak attack is overpowered. He doesn't seem to understand the intention behind Cunning Action either

jgsugden

Legend
In my games, a rogue can certainly duck behind a door with part of their move, hide as a bonus action, shoot from around the door, and then move back out of view. They can do that every round. That is 100% 'rogue schtick' activity, expected and iconic to the rogue. To me, as a DM, you look for opportunities for the rogue to do the things that make them cool.

Most of the stealth and hiding rules are in the hands of the DM - but if your DM is not allowing you to hide effectively and often as a rogue, that is a huge warning sign for me as a player that I'm in the wrong game.

Remove ads