Roleplaying Games of the 1970s (and very early 80s)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Classic Traveller and Basic/AD&D were the core of my gaming experience from sixth grade to first year university (79-86). Along the way we played a fair bit of Top Secret, some Champions and Paranoia, and Car Wars as a palate-cleanser between adventures.

Wizard and Melee were both played in 79 and 80, but I never played TFT, though I did buy it at the time.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I was wondering ... for all of the references I have seen to Boot Hill, did anyone ever run full campaigns of it?

I once had an AD&D campaign venture into the Boot Hill universe, but I don't recall anyone discussing running long campaigns in that system.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I was wondering ... for all of the references I have seen to Boot Hill, did anyone ever run full campaigns of it?

I once had an AD&D campaign venture into the Boot Hill universe, but I don't recall anyone discussing running long campaigns in that system.

I wasn't into westerns at the time and never even made a character for it... but I'd be happy to try it out now!

werecorpse

Adventurer
pre 84 - that was high school for me
Mostly AD&D
some Traveller, Runequest, Gamma World, Top Secret, Bushido
dabbled (1-2 games) in Man Myth & Magic, Boot Hill, Thieves Guild, Space Opera, Chivalry & Sorcery, Gangbusters, Bunnies & Burrows, Aftermath, Stormbringer, Call of Cthulhu

84-89 Apart from AD&D which was still No 1 Bushido & Runequest were second tier and Call of Cthulhu and Traveller popped up from time to time.

Sacrosanct

Legend

Outside of D&D, Boot Hill was the game we played in the early 80s, and we did run a couple campaigns in it. I only remember bits and pieces (I was just a kid in 1981), but remember adding a lot of weapon's tables to the core list, and doing a lot of shooting bandits, and doing a LOT of dying...

We played.
D&D and AD&D (obviously)
Cthulhu
A few of the Palladium Games including Robotech, The Fantasy RPG and Beyond the Supernatural. Rifts came a bit late but we did try it. The strange thing with Palladium is that is often much more fun to read than to play. The only three games we had more than one campaign were Robotech, Heroes unlimited and BTS.
Battletech the RPG and the Battle simulator. (The RPG was really just an excuse for the mech battles).
Star Trek the RPG and the Battle simulator. (The RPG was really just an excuse for the space battles.)
Role Master and MERPG. (both, but the critical system was way too brutal and unforgiving for us. Making a crit was fun, receiving it, less so).
Paranoia (for comic relief and a nice change of pace).
Top secret.
and finally, Star Wars (d6).

the Jester

Legend
We played a fair amount of Gamma World, Star Frontiers, and Top Secret (pre-SI). And there were a bunch of local groups that were heavily into playing Arduin Grimoire/D&D hybrids (not that Arduin wasn't basically D&D with the serial numbers filed off to begin with).

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever

A good friend's older brother tried--but the characters kept dying. After ten sessions most people were on their third character. Nobody was still playing their original character.

Remove ads