• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E roleplaying the Oath of the Ancients

Riley37

First Post
Would an Ancients paladin be OK with carousing? Could be one way to "appreciate" the arts. ;)

Song, music, dance: absolutely.
Sipping fine wine: works for me.
Getting very drunk: probably less able to appreciate the arts as they are, though perhaps with more enthusiasm.
Romantic activities: keep it consensual and compassionate.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Makes Ancients quite close to Vengeance though, right? Is that what you had in mind?

I sort of saw it as:

Devotion: Deontology
Ancients: Virtue Ethics
Vengeance: Utilitarianism

That sounds pretty good too. I think any of the three work well with Virtue Ethics but Ancients sounds closest ("be the light," treating the "light" as an object, etc.).

The hardest one is Vengeance, because it's mostly about killing evil-doers, which is tricky for me to fit into modern ethics. We need one of those endless "Which alignment is Batman?" debates.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
The character sounds like he would be more astute. He might dance in the most formal of events, but he wouldn't let himself become emotional. He might court someone, again under the most formal protocol, but he needs to be in control.

pukunui

Legend
I beg to differ. I think an Ancients paladin would express their emotions freely. I see no reason for them to be particularly formal either. They aren't likely to be lawful. They're protectors of all that is good in the world - I can see them wanting to experience and enjoy all that good firsthand, not just stand by the sidelines and watch.

What you're describing sounds more like an Oath of Devotion paladin.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
There isn't anything in their oath, as quoted in the first post of this thread, that says they would participate in that. Everything speaks of vigilance and inner strength, just what I would expect from a knight who took such an oath. You need to play knights like they are of the aristocracy at least, I should say.

Bayonet

First Post
I see the Oath of the Ancients as a champion of the natural world; he;d probably be a lot more open about natural human behavior, like carousin', dancin', and casual romancin'.

Honestly, when I read the paladin descriptons, I see them this way;

Devotion: Monotheistic, Monastic outlook of their service. Very strict and regimented in their personal lives. Lots of self-denial as a moral/ disciplinary exercise while working for the greater good. Basically a questing Templar type who would rather read theology tracts and do calisthenics in his free time.

Ancients: Pagan, Organic, Life-affirming outlook. Very open to things that are considered good, fun, natural. Not a lot of self denial. They indulge in all that is good, and defend all that is good. I'm picturing a pagan dark age, Celtic-ish champion. Flowers in the hair, music in his ear, maids on his lap, until it's time to smite monster that threatens the village.

Vengeance; Unwaveringly strict, Active, Life-denying outlook. No time for frivolities, no interest in fun or love. Complete self-denial as a rule; perhaps a distrust of pleasure at his core. Basically an Witch-Hunter or Inquisitor, obsessed with the idea of finding and destroying the enemies of his faith.

Given my love of dark ales and saucy wenches, I definitely gravitate towards the Ancients. ;)

Remove ads