D&D 5E Roleplaying the opposite gender

Just play the character as if she were male and remove reason, and accountability.

:p

What? No Nicholson fans here?

Seriously though, using a normal voice is fine. I am enjoying playing a female charlatan in a WHFRP 1st ED game right now.

happyhermit

Adventurer
First of all, it's not, and second of all, even if it was it would still be based on an elitist concept of "right" and "wrong" language.

Not looking for a debate on the subject, as it's relatively OT, just was pointing out that your statement was incorrect;

The entire concept of swearing is based on elitism and associating it with what constitutes a "lady" as opposed to "not a lady" thus becomes grossly sexist.

It doesn't "thus" become "grossly sexist", it could only become sexist if the standard does not apply to the distinction of gentlemen/not-gentlemen as well. Whether or not that is or isn't the case depends on culture and many factors, but wasn't the point.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
...just was pointing out that your statement was incorrect;
No, you just didn't understand it.

It doesn't "thus" become "grossly sexist", it could only become sexist if the standard does not apply to the distinction of gentlemen/not-gentlemen as well. Whether or not that is or isn't the case depends on culture and many factors, but wasn't the point.
You should really try to comprehend something before trying to "correct" it.

Here, I'll quote myself again to remind you of what I actually said:

First of all, it's not, and second of all, even if it was it would still be based on an elitist concept of "right" and "wrong" language.
So let's break this down:

I first refer to the notion that it's only sexist if it doesn't apply to gentlemen as well. My reply is that it does not apply and that a "gentleman" swearing is perfectly acceptable behaviour because of the different standards applied to men versus women.

I then–and this is really the key point here because there are two separate concepts being addressed and you need to be able to differentiate between them in order to understand the point–say that even if the standard was applied to men as well, it would still be elitist.

Elitism is not sexism, even though sexism is a form of elitism.

Putting someone down for swearing is elitism, whether done to a man or a woman.

Do you get it now or do I have to explain it in simpler fashion?

happyhermit

Adventurer
No, you just didn't understand it.

You should really try to comprehend something before trying to "correct" it.

Here, I'll quote myself again to remind you of what I actually said:

So let's break this down:

I first refer to the notion that it's only sexist if it doesn't apply to gentlemen as well. My reply is that it does not apply and that a "gentleman" swearing is perfectly acceptable behaviour because of the different standards applied to men versus women.

I then–and this is really the key point here because there are two separate concepts being addressed and you need to be able to differentiate between them in order to understand the point–say that even if the standard was applied to men as well, it would still be elitist.

Elitism is not sexism, even though sexism is a form of elitism.

Putting someone down for swearing is elitism, whether done to a man or a woman.

Do you get it now or do I have to explain it in simpler fashion?

There really is no need to insult my intelligence, if it makes you feel better about yourself that's fine, but it is unnecessary.

Where you quote yourself to repeat what you "actually said" you are referring to a post that I never was "correcting" to begin with. If you will read my posts it should be quite clear that I never argued about elitism. So what you are supposedly trying to explain to me I never expressed any issues with, unlike the section I actually quoted twice, highlighted, underlined and explained. I don't think I can make it any more clear and you seem unwilling to see it so we should probably leave it here and let the thread go back to it's original topic.

Li Shenron

Legend
Hey,
Im having trouble with something I know a lot of people have trouble with when roleplaying which is as Im sure you can guess... Roleplaying the opposite gender (which in this case would be females). So I was wondering if anybody had any tips or tricks, oh and I should mention that I am a Dungeon Master that gives "voices" to my characters and this is where I am having most of my trouble. Thanks in advance. Leave you tips in the comments.

My suggestion is: do not focus on the character gender, instead pick a known real-life person or existing character from a movie/book (without telling anybody), and think of her/him while roleplaying your character. Let's say you're playing a female Wizard, you could choose for example Lana Parrilla's "Evil Queen" from Once Upon a Time or Cate Blanchett's Galadriel*, and then just say what you think she would say in the way you think she would say that! You don't need to mimic the voice pitch at all, you can mimic the accent (but not necessarily), but just imagine you're seeing her on the screen and your roleplaying will be affected.

*But anyone can do really... you could pick Rachel from Friends, Judy Dench, or Piggy from Sesame Street and they will work for a Wizard just as well, only differently.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
. . . 18/50 Strength?!?

I'm not familiar with this reference. Is it something from an earlier version of D&D?

As far as voicing someone of the opposite gender, everyone at my table either softens their voice (if guy playing female), or deepens it (if girl playing male).

Mercule

Adventurer
I'm not familiar with this reference. Is it something from an earlier version of D&D?
Yeah. In 1E AD&D, there were different stat caps by sex. Female humans couldn't get as high of a strength as males could. As far as the 18/50 part goes, the best way to explain it, if you aren't familiar, is that there was some space in between 18 and 19 (for strength, only) that was measured with a percentile. It was kinda wonky. I can't remember whether anything besides strength had a sex-based cap, and it probably isn't particularly important.

Much internet blood has already been spilled on the matter of whether sex-based caps to stats is sexist in all cases, in only some cases, or whether game simplicity and narrative license should trump whatever realism may or may not be present. Hopefully, we can avoid yet another tangent that isn't helpful to the OP's question. (Note: I think both the quip and the request for info are fine. Just calling out the "no politics" rule.)

Remove ads