• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Roleplaying? Yeah right!

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Oryan77 said:
I hear D&D gamers in Oregon eat seafood at their games rather than Cheetos & Corn Chips. Count me in. :p
Yeah! It's delicious seafood-flavored Cheetos and clam chowder corn chips!* Yum!

Oryan77 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twowolves
So, when a DM doesn't let a player pick and choose what magic items to let into HIS game, it's nerfing?
It actually is nerfing.....the player is trying to nerf my campaign
NERF WARS!!!

*Also available in Washington state.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Psion said:
[Re: Burning Wheel's Traits & Instincts]I don't really consider those intrusive like the sorts of mechanics I am talking about.

Even considering the Artha rewards?

So, what kind of things do you consider intrusive mechanics?

Psion

Adventurer
LostSoul said:
Even considering the Artha rewards?

So, what kind of things do you consider intrusive mechanics?

Things like virtues and vices in nWoD.

I guess Artha awards could make traits fall in the same category, but it's been long enough since I've read the book I don't rightly recall how traits play into that.

SavageRobby

First Post
Oryan77 said:
I tried tailoring the game to the group but I don't think it's working out for me. I spend so much time prepping plotlines & NPCs and coming up with ideas tailored to the PC's lives that I feel it's a waste of time. That's the part I enjoy about D&D but it doesn't mean much if players don't get involved.

Thornir Alekeg said:
Do none of them get involved? It is a waste of time to come up with plotlines and NPCs tailored to PCs of players who don't care, so don't do it. If you only have one player who cares, tailor things to that one player. Sure, the entire story will be driven by that one player, but if the other players don't care why they are fighting something, they shouldn't care that it is always about the one player, they are just muscle providing combat support.

Oryan77 said:
The hack-n-slashing that I've tailored to is wearing thin on me. I could be so much better off if we just played the DDM game and saved me from the preparation time that goes into a D&D game. But I like living out the lives of characters in D&D...not just wargaming. At least I can say I tried

Thornir Alekeg said:
Ultimately if you aren't having fun, you should not be DMing, but maybe you can find some middle ground? Good luck, and if it doesn't work out, maybe you will have a better idea of things to ask prospective players in the future and will find people better suited to your own enjoyment.

I'm onboard with Thornir, all of what he posted. I have a group that ranges up to eight folks, and they definitely have differing playstyles, from pure hack-n-slasher to amateur thespians. But I've found, with a little creativity on my part, I can get them all involved and walk away from each session happy, and *I* can walk away from each session happy as well, and look forward to the next round of prepping. One of my prep challenges is making sure there is a bit for each character to shine in a way they like - or "who gets what screen time". (I use the concept of screen time a lot in my games, cutting from character to character or group to group when appropriate to reinforce the concept. Its really helped my management of a larger group, but also how I handle different player types.)

You also might consider trying to find another player to add to the group, either in addition or instead of a current player. A lot of time new blood shakes things up - and it would give you a chance to find a player who is more of what you're looking for, so then you'd have at least one (and it sounds like maybe two) players who have a style you more enjoy DMing.

And you know, if you're not enjoying DMing, then don't do it. That leads to the road of burnout, and its never fun. Also, check and see if your players are enjoying the game, or if its "just something to do". I try to make sure my players are invested in my games and show some minimal passion for it - obviously not as much as me, but some amount. Without that spark of interest, IMO, you might as well play DDM or WoW or board games.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads