• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Roll for Combat got to try the 3D vtt and he seems to like it. Live streaming now.

Not run the whole of a 30 room dungeon but one or two rooms at a time. Small sections

This is interesting. Might be a function to keep the need for hardware down, but not a bad solution, in all honesty. Also keeps other VTTs viable if they can actually have a full dungeon on the table. But this reminds me of how Critical Role does their setpiece fights. Does mean people get to make some "You must gather your party before venturing forth" jokes. lol

Oofta

Legend
This is interesting. Might be a function to keep the need for hardware down, but not a bad solution, in all honesty. Also keeps other VTTs viable if they can actually have a full dungeon on the table. But this reminds me of how Critical Role does their setpiece fights. Does mean people get to make some "You must gather your party before venturing forth" jokes. lol
Yeah, they wanted to be able to run on as many devices as possible so they limit memory requirements. It would work for me because I do TotM for exploration. It was something they talked about, how annoying it was to slowly move tokens around.

The other main takeaway was that there's very little rules enforcement and implementation, and that it's a good thing. They have things like spell animations and lava "tiles" but an example given was a character failing so they just moved the mini. Just like you would in a real game.

In any case, the minimal implementation is something I'd actually prefer after having used roll20 and learning about what people do with automating VTTs.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah, they wanted to be able to run on as many devices as possible so they limit memory requirements. It would work for me because I do TotM for exploration. It was something they talked about, how annoying it was to slowly move tokens around.

The other main takeaway was that there's very little rules enforcement and implementation, and that it's a good thing. They have things like spell animations and lava "tiles" but an example given was a character failing so they just moved the mini. Just like you would in a real game.

In any case, the minimal implementation is something I'd actually prefer after having used roll20 and learning about what people do with automating VTTs.
I don't even use Maps on Beyond because I don't want to have to set up a Campaign.

I just want to pick a Map, pick some PC icons, Pick some Monster Icons, plop 'em all down and move 'em around with a mouse. Give me something that can do THAT and I'm IN.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not particularly interested in a VTT, personally, since I'm more of a TotM person, but I think a lot of folks have been underestimating EotC odds of bringing something exciting to the (virtual) table here. After Arena, WotC is a major software developer.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads