• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Roll for Combat got to try the 3D vtt and he seems to like it. Live streaming now.

Retreater

Legend
Yea there are a group of very anti WotC anti 5e folks and they are not very polite about it.
Roll for Combat cultivated that fanbase. They were extremely anti-WotC even as recent as a week ago. Watching them bash WotC was a favorite past-time of mine. There's not many online spaces I can go where I can even speak critically of 5e because WotC is so beloved in the industry (despite all their missteps this year.) There's a lot of reasons we should be able to be critical.
To completely 180 and gush about how much he loves the company - it doesn't feel authentic at all.

Hussar

Legend
Roll for Combat cultivated that fanbase. They were extremely anti-WotC even as recent as a week ago. Watching them bash WotC was a favorite past-time of mine. There's not many online spaces I can go where I can even speak critically of 5e because WotC is so beloved in the industry (despite all their missteps this year.) There's a lot of reasons we should be able to be critical.
To completely 180 and gush about how much he loves the company - it doesn't feel authentic at all.
That's... everything wrong with Youtubers in general. Cultivating a toxic fanbase? Good grief.

Good lord I loathe fans sometimes.

I mean, ffs, instead of being happy that we're finally getting a pretty cool product that will likely bring shedloads of gamers together who normally would never meet, make gaming far easier and play, you're complaining that these guys are shilling for WotC? As if it couldn't possibly be that they genuinely like the product. If they hated it, then they would be honest, right? But like something WotC has done? No, that's impossible because nothing WotC does can ever be good.

It's absolutely no win. Like a product? You're a shill for WotC and lying to everyone. Hate something WotC has done? Preach it brother, stick it to the Man!

If you find you can't speak critically of 5e in many different places, it might, just might, not be a problem with those places.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
My cynical take is that Glicker's rapid transformation in perspective about the VTT and all-in with the 2024 revision is that he wants to get Battlezoo products on DND Beyond, so he's pandering to the WotC suits.

The stuff he's bragging about - literally, it's been available for close to a decade on Roll20 and for years on Foundry. And he knows this as a developer. The one thing that those services don't have is Hasbro money behind it (and the built-in Beyond fanbase).

So I think it's a calculated move to help his business.

Yes, exactly. Unless I saw it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed this guy that's been constantly talking smack about WotC since January would suddenly be a fanboy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Or, maybe they liked what they saw...?

I wonder how would be D&DB with Battlezoo as 3PP franchise, even adapted as videogame. Maybe even in the future it could become the main rival of "mon" franchises like Pokemon, Digimon or Bakugan.

Other point is my suggestion to can create "cinematic scenes" with the animation of the virtual miniatures, allowing even streamers to produce machinima episodes.

Retreater

Legend
That's... everything wrong with Youtubers in general. Cultivating a toxic fanbase? Good grief.

Good lord I loathe fans sometimes.
When you're in the minority of a niche hobby, it's at least nice to feel a part of something. I'm so out of step with the rest of the gaming plurality that I hardly feel connected with anyone on these boards anymore - and I've been here for like 2 decades. It's hard for me to be a gaming fan right now, honestly. I don't want to cheer and celebrate what WotC/Hasbro is doing. I feel that their products have been woefully substandard for a few years now. I think the playtest and revision has gone in a bad direction that will make a poor game experience even worse. My experience with 5e has been miserable, and there's no sign that WotC is going to do anything to improve it or even has the motivation to strive for something better in any capacity than the 2014 version. It's like a reprint just to do it with no changes to anything.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
When you're in the minority of a niche hobby, it's at least nice to feel a part of something. I'm so out of step with the rest of the gaming plurality that I hardly feel connected with anyone on these boards anymore - and I've been here for like 2 decades. It's hard for me to be a gaming fan right now, honestly. I don't want to cheer and celebrate what WotC/Hasbro is doing. I feel that their products have been woefully substandard for a few years now. I think the playtest and revision has gone in a bad direction that will make a poor game experience even worse. My experience with 5e has been miserable, and there's no sign that WotC is going to do anything to improve it or even has the motivation to strive for something better in any capacity than the 2014 version. It's like a reprint just to do it with no changes to anything.
You say this often. We reply.
But that doesn't mean you're unwelcome.

You love RPGs. So do we. That's the unifying factor.

Retreater

Legend
Or, maybe they liked what they saw...?
I watched the video. Twice.
I can't get in Glicker's head about what he liked, but what he said was so generic that it could've applied to any VTT. And he produces content on other VTTs.
"I like that it has 3D dice."
"I like that it has a simple character sheet."
"I like that you're not forced to use dynamic lighting." "I like that you can make your own tokens."
For crying out loud, you can do that on Foundry. For free. He produces on Foundry. He knows that this is a feature that's been out there for years. He makes animated tokens for his Battlezoo lines. I can't imagine what he's thinking.
All of these features - except for the walled garden ecosystem of DND Beyond - are available on other VTTs.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And that's all valid...but just because of your feelings and experiences, that doesn't mean the BattleZoo guys have to be cynlical lying sellouts if they were impressed with something and enjoyed it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads