• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Roll for Combat got to try the 3D vtt and he seems to like it. Live streaming now.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I watched the video. Twice.
I can't get in Glicker's head about what he liked, but what he said was so generic that it could've applied to any VTT. And he produces content on other VTTs.
"I like that it has 3D dice."
"I like that it has a simple character sheet."
"I like that you're not forced to use dynamic lighting." "I like that you can make your own tokens."
For crying out loud, you can do that on Foundry. For free. He produces on Foundry. He knows that this is a feature that's been out there for years. He makes animated tokens for his Battlezoo lines. I can't imagine what he's thinking.
All of these features - except for the walled garden ecosystem of DND Beyond - are available on other VTTs.
Maybe he is having trouble getting across the phenomenal experience he had of enjoying this version...?

It is a bit of a jump from them stating they enjoyed a user experience to "they have become sell-out shills".

FitzTheRuke

Legend
What set up? A Campaign is essentially just a folder for characters and encounters. You click on “Create a Campaign,” give it a name, click on “Create Campaign,” and you’re done. You’re taken to a page where you can launch Maps.

You can even skip giving it a name by clicking on “Create a Premade Campaign,” and selecting any of the options. Again, you’re taken to a page where you can immediately launch Maps, drop a map, drop some tokens, and go.

I don’t think there’s a VTT out there that’s any simpler for dropping a map, some tokens, and playing.
What if precisely NONE of the characters exist on Beyond?

Retreater

Legend
Maybe he is having trouble getting across the phenomenal experience he had of enjoying this version...?

It is a bit of a jump from them stating they enjoyed a user experience to "they have become sell-out shills".
I can chalk it up to him having a post-convention excitement about a new product. I've been there before.
Without him being completely nefarious, I can chalk it up to him doing a "reverse clickbait" to get views by being positive about a new product.
Still, I dislike DND Beyond and its UI. I am extremely worried as a fan of Battlezoo and their content on Foundry that if Glicker signs up with WotC that I may not get future content from them. And that may mean they stop producing for Pathfinder.
All this is a step-by-step severing of my ability to interact with the hobby. I get that. I understand that this means we rent content on monthly fees. That we lose control of our games. I understand all this.ut
I just hate to see it happening. And people being happy about it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
No problem.
I'm not following you. The very first thing it asks you to do is to "pick your game" from your campaigns. (I only have two and I don't use them) OR from one of three "premade adventures". It won't launch unless you do. I don't want any of those five things. What do I do?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I can chalk it up to him having a post-convention excitement about a new product. I've been there before.
Without him being completely nefarious, I can chalk it up to him doing a "reverse clickbait" to get views by being positive about a new product.
Still, I dislike DND Beyond and its UI. I am extremely worried as a fan of Battlezoo and their content on Foundry that if Glicker signs up with WotC that I may not get future content from them. And that may mean they stop producing for Pathfinder.
All this is a step-by-step severing of my ability to interact with the hobby. I get that. I understand that this means we rent content on monthly fees. That we lose control of our games. I understand all this.ut
I just hate to see it happening. And people being happy about it.
A lot of "if" there. No need to prematurely catastrophic about what may happen because some folks enjoyed something, and make some fairly ugly accusations about their character.

When you're in the minority of a niche hobby, it's at least nice to feel a part of something. I'm so out of step with the rest of the gaming plurality that I hardly feel connected with anyone on these boards anymore - and I've been here for like 2 decades. It's hard for me to be a gaming fan right now, honestly. I don't want to cheer and celebrate what WotC/Hasbro is doing. I feel that their products have been woefully substandard for a few years now. I think the playtest and revision has gone in a bad direction that will make a poor game experience even worse. My experience with 5e has been miserable, and there's no sign that WotC is going to do anything to improve it or even has the motivation to strive for something better in any capacity than the 2014 version. It's like a reprint just to do it with no changes to anything.
You could always play a different game with a different base, if positivity about the game makes you so unhappy.

Iosue

Legend
I'm not following you. The very first thing it asks you to do is to "pick your game" from your campaigns. (I only have two and I don't use them) OR from one of three "premade adventures". It won't launch unless you do. I don't want any of those five things. What do I do?
Choose any of them. It doesn't mean anything. There's no automatic maps loaded, no automated encounters, or characters. Nothing to set up, or delete. It just opens the Maps app under that name. And that name is only a) to provide a link for other people to view the Maps for your game, b) to connect characters built in the character builder, and encounters built in the encounter builder, to that campaign.

It seems you do not have a need for a), nor any of b), so all you're going to get is the Map Browser. Select the Map you want from one of the basic maps, drop whatever monsters you want and any tokens you want to represent the PCs, and go to town.

According to Glicker, you can't play. Beyond exports a JSON file of the character, which is run through an importer tool into the VTT. There is no way to play outside of Beyond - and likely your monthly subscriptions.
We're discussing the Maps tool, not the 3D VTT.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads