Roll20 Now Has 10 Million Users

Roll20's user base has doubled since 2020, and is now at a height of 10 million users. In 2020 Roll20 had 5 million users, and it had 3 million users two years before that. In February 2021 it reported 8 million users. A recent blog post says that "From 2017 to the end of 2019, Roll20 grew five times over (in both staff and revenue), and the pandemic more than doubled that growth."...

Roll20's user base has doubled since 2020, and is now at a height of 10 million users.

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 5.49.31 PM.png

In 2020 Roll20 had 5 million users, and it had 3 million users two years before that. In February 2021 it reported 8 million users.

A recent blog post says that "From 2017 to the end of 2019, Roll20 grew five times over (in both staff and revenue), and the pandemic more than doubled that growth."

Dicebreaker reports that the platform reported in a press release that new updates were coming, including a UI overhaul, performance improvements, and new features for GMs.

In other news, Roll20 now has a new CEO, Ankit Lal. Nolan T. Jones,co-founder of the company, is stepping back.

Nebulous

Legend
Since I've been using Foundry exclusively for the past couple months, I was about to let my Roll20 subscription lapse. Then I noticed Roll20 has gotten all kinds of Savage Worlds support and some other systems too in recent months. Considering also that I have purchased so much 5e content on Roll20 (and Foundry can't really do it), I guess I'm going to keep both active.
Like Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, etc., I suppose gamers will have to keep subscriptions to multiple VTTs.
I agree. I have put lots of content into Roll20 the past 2 years. So much Kobold Press stuff, and they're among my favorite monster manuals. I have thousands of images uploaded and a huge library of music. I would love to see a UI overhaul and more GM support. If they could integrate weather effects that would be fantastic.

Nebulous

Legend
This exactly - all I need for my online games is a shared whiteboard space where players can move their tokens around. The ability to upload my own images and maps is nice as well. The ability to hide parts of the map and reveal them as they explore is a bonus.

And Roll20 gives me all that and is simple for my players to use. I keep thinking I should get a subscription just to support the site, but I keep running up against the fact that I wouldn't actually use anything that isn't already on the free tier anyway. I figure when I bump up against my 100meg upload limit I'll subscribe.
I'm a Pro subscriber, have been for two years now. I started free in 2020 until I got the hang of the system, and then upgraded to use the API. Knowing nothing about coding whatsoever, it took a lot of time and research to figure things out, but when scripting works it works really well and improves my games. Being able to grab every token at once and hit Initiative and everything is automatically sorted into the combat tracker is a godsend, and faster than anything I ever did in person. I figured out how to attach sound effects and GIF's to player weapon attacks, which is something you can't port over from Beyond. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. Is it cool and fun? Yes, yes it is.

I have also used dynamic lighting extensively and I for one love it. That is also something that can't be recreated in person at the table. Bottom line, I enjoy running games as much if not more than in person, something I never thought I would say. As a DM who was always a big fan of elaborate maps and props and miniatures, the switch to VTT opens the doors in every way. I used to print maps out in 26 single sheets, cut and tape them and roll them up and drive them to the game house. Ugh. I never want to do that again. Now I can digitally use maps the size of 50 sheets of paper. I use full color elaborate maps for the most mundane of situations just because I can. When I was running a Kobold Press module I wanted to do a city adventure. I was able to load a hi res image of the city of Zobeck to such a level that we could actually use player tokens down to the street and alley level. In a whole city. To my knowledge, there is no official city to explore in any VTT. I had to make it myself, but it was the most fun thing I've ever done for a RPG.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I'm a Pro subscriber, have been for two years now. I started free in 2020 until I got the hang of the system, and then upgraded to use the API. Knowing nothing about coding whatsoever, it took a lot of time and research to figure things out, but when scripting works it works really well and improves my games. Being able to grab every token at once and hit Initiative and everything is automatically sorted into the combat tracker is a godsend, and faster than anything I ever did in person. I figured out how to attach sound effects and GIF's to player weapon attacks, which is something you can't port over from Beyond. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. Is it cool and fun? Yes, yes it is.
See this is all great and I'm happy for folks who enjoy this kind of experience. But my day job deals with programming so much that when I'm prepping my games I don't want to deal with any of it. Until 2020 we didn't even game virtually because it was an opportunity to get away from the computer for more than just me :) Now the group is a bit more scattered so virtual play is here to stay, but I don't forsee myself putting a bunch of effort into the bells and whistles of any VTT since that's the opposite of relaxing for me.

Retreater

Legend
See this is all great and I'm happy for folks who enjoy this kind of experience. But my day job deals with programming so much that when I'm prepping my games I don't want to deal with any of it. Until 2020 we didn't even game virtually because it was an opportunity to get away from the computer for more than just me :) Now the group is a bit more scattered so virtual play is here to stay, but I don't forsee myself putting a bunch of effort into the bells and whistles of any VTT since that's the opposite of relaxing for me.
I like maps and automation, but things like animations, sound effects, music, etc., just take me out of it. It crosses over into "video game" territory. Glad the option is there for those who enjoy it, though.

darjr

I crit!
I love the explosion of digital play, for lots of reasons, but dang it isn’t for me.

I have an account and do it when needed.

I plan on streaming too, but do more totm.

Maybe that’ll change.

Nebulous

Legend
What I would like to see eventually is all the bells and whistles automated and toggle-ready. No code needed.

I like maps and automation, but things like animations, sound effects, music, etc., just take me out of it. It crosses over into "video game" territory. Glad the option is there for those who enjoy it, though.

I actually love having options for sound and music. Foundry was cool because I could play stuff like ambient sounds that would hint at things down the way, such as hearing running water down a cave path. It's a cool bit of interaction.

Also as a Star Wars player I find having music to be very nice and thematic.

I like how it simplifies things. We're starting a modern campaign next week, and I went through and put colored auras on various explosive pogs laying out their blast radius.

It seems like a small thing, but no more stopping to measure. The player drops the icon where he is aiming/throwing, and I adjust it if they miss. Rolls are made, and off we go.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads