Rolling for Ability Scores or Point Buy

What is your preference to generate ability scores

• I'd always have Point Buy if I could.

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • I'd rather have Point Buy if possible.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • I'm okay with either.

Votes: 25 16.2%
  • I'd rather have Rolling if possible.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • I'd always have Rolling if I could.

Votes: 24 15.6%

All point-buy, all the time.

I usually know what kind of character I want to play when I sit down, and being told "NOPE!" because the dice didn't agree this one time's annoying.

One time, when I didn't know what I wanted to play, I randomly generated a character in a point-buy environment by rolling a d6 and increase the indicated score each time (e.g., Str = 1, Dex = 2, etc.) until I'd spent my points.

Basically, after years and years and years of watching scads of people go, "Yeah - I roll, because that's hardcore" or something, and then realizing that they have all these convoluted stat generation methods to prevent all the possible downsides of rolled stats ... (4d6-L 8 times reroll 1s pick top 6 anyone can pick any array!)

When I'm feeling particularly "generous," I like to let my players just pick their stats. Then, they calculate the point buy value, subtract 32 from it, and that's their "Hubris" score.

ferratus

Adventurer
All point-buy, all the time.

I usually know what kind of character I want to play when I sit down, and being told "NOPE!" because the dice didn't agree this one time's annoying.

That is pretty much the difference. If you want to meet your characters you roll, if you have a character concept you want to design you point-buy.

Arranging your scores to taste, or using dice rolling methods so you always have fairly high stats are ways to do the same thing, but with a little bit of rand omness thrown in. Basically, if you don't want to choose a dump stat, but have one thrust upon you.

One time, when I didn't know what I wanted to play, I randomly generated a character in a point-buy environment by rolling a d6 and increase the indicated score each time (e.g., Str = 1, Dex = 2, etc.) until I'd spent my points.

I can see that as a valid method, as you would always have the amount of points needed to make a viable character. Seems rather tedious and slow though.

Basically, after years and years and years of watching scads of people go, "Yeah - I roll, because that's hardcore" or something, and then realizing that they have all these convoluted stat generation methods to prevent all the possible downsides of rolled stats ... (4d6-L 8 times reroll 1s pick top 6 anyone can pick any array!)

I have only seen people in actual practice letting the dice fall where they may is when running the Tomb of Horrors module. But there you are not really rolling up characters, and are instead creating bomb-disposing robots.

I've seen a lot of 4d6 drop lowest (arrange to taste) the most often, but hopeless characters always decided to raise pigs instead of becoming adventurers, and the player rolled up new stats again. I've seen other people use 4d6 drop lowest, roll seven times. I've seen 4d6 drop lowest, reroll 1's. I have seen rolling 3d6 12 times, pick highest 6 rolls. I have yet to see someone say "yeah, this character is hopeless, but I'm going to waste my time playing him until he inevitably dies". I have a feeling I will have seen everything else there is to see in life before I see that guy.

I myself like to use 6+2d6 for while I like random generation, I have no interest in playing crippled or mentally handicapped characters. It usually gives me one high score (16+) two good scores (13-15) two average scores (10-12) and one poor score (8-10).

When I'm feeling particularly "generous," I like to let my players just pick their stats. Then, they calculate the point buy value, subtract 32 from it, and that's their "Hubris" score.

I have simply let players choose their own stats too. They are usually very reasonable about it, even if they are cheating.

ferratus

Adventurer
But the playtest rules already supports both, so this entire thread is rather pointless. Some people will detest my opinion on this, but that's okay with me. I played 4e with point buy and in the very end, rolling, and rolling broke the game, because "waaaah", my character can't hit anything or can't take this or that feat, or multiclass this way or that.

Just deal with it. Play the game, die, then play a new char. It's the way D&D is supposed to work!!!

Oh FFS. You know what? I do detest you. I detest everyone who says that D&D shouldn't customized at the table to suit the needs of its players, to fit a wide variety of playstyles. Half of the arguments and most of the edition war threads would disappear if people realized that what works at their table doesn't necessarily work at other tables.

Some people like playing the Tomb of Horrors, some people like playing through the entire adventure path of DL1 to DL14. Some people like edge of your seat tactical combat, some people like games that focus on exploration, intrigue, or other non-combat skills. Some just want to know when the next turn is so they can hit something, some people want character development to me the main focus of the game.

So why can't we just accept that D&D has not only had all of these players, but that D&D Next wants to cater to all these players? Why can't people give each other room without all this fatbeard posturing?

Mod Note: Folks, getting personal and insulting isn't acceptable. Getting personal and insulting in the name of acceptance of other people's way of doing things, is just downright ironic. Either way, it can get you removed from the thread, so don't do it, please. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Roll. Point buy is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Be Polite. Rudeness is the orc that invokes a threadban. Thanks. -Lwaxy

Last edited by a moderator:

Dedekind

Explorer
I prefer rolling, but whatever is fine.

I'm always so shocked by how strong the feelings are when this topic is brought up. Is it really just as simple as balance?

the Jester

Legend
In my campaign, all pcs are and always have been generated by rolling. Likely always will be, too.

I have nothing against other campaigns using point buy, but if I am playing and I have any choice, I roll.

I'm a dice lover.

Cobalt Meridian

Explorer
Supporter
I always seem to roll (comparatively) badly but one time we played with characters that our GM had rolled. My wizard had 3 stats under 8 (STR, CON and WIS) and her highest was a 14 (INT). The other characters were a little better but still on the 'low' side from what I've seen in most games I had been in.

The character was fun to play but her low hit points and inability to carry anything except her spell book without being encumbered continually interfered with my enjoyment (and, to a point, that of the other players).

At that point I swore that I would always give my players the option of point-buy and that I would always ask my GMs for the same.

underfoot007ct

First Post
for me reminds me of classic D&D. D&D to me, is supposed to be high-lethality. You are not supposed to be guaranteed to win, or survive, or any of that nonsense (IMO)

I did not write IMHO because the populace who quit the last iteration where rolling is not possible because it's not "balanced", do not "get it". Life is not fair. Some people are born both dumb and weak. If you roll too poorly, your DM should just let you re-roll.
You may want "high-lethality", that fine, but I certainly do not nor do I want to play classic D&D. If I did, I would just play an old edition of the game. This is a GAME not real life, I DO want it FAIR & FUN.

If your DM lets you re-roll, You are really getting a mathematically BETTER char than a point buy char. If there is NO chance of have a sub-par below average char. than you are avoiding any chance of FAIR, you will always be better than fair or avg.

Some of the best characters I've ever had had several flaws. You do not get to chose the stats you get in real life, you can only chose what you wish to work on, and play the hand you're dealt. If your character sucks you can always commit suicide. A savvy DM would know this, and not allow completely unviable characters in their game.
How can you play a flawed char if you re-roll poor chars? Yet again, If you poorly rolled char commits suicide, you will ALWAYS have above average chars. Seems you have an illusion of avg but that is all.

Rolling IS D&D. D&D is not about making a perfect toon that lasts forever in a character selection screen and respawns with all his loot in tact and no death penalty. If you roll well, your death penalty IS your karma : you are less likely to have as good stats, statistically, next time.

Too bad.

But the playtest rules already supports both, so this entire thread is rather pointless. Some people will detest my opinion on this, but that's okay with me. I played 4e with point buy and in the very end, rolling, and rolling broke the game, because "waaaah", my character can't hit anything or can't take this or that feat, or multiclass this way or that.
[/quote

So If this is so pointless why did you still post?

Just deal with it. Play the game, die, then play a new char. It's the way D&D is supposed to work!!!
Where is it written in stone the way D&D is supposed to work. It may have one of the many ways to play, but it s NOT the way I have played for many years, nor want to play in the future. Thank the gods you don't ability to decide how D&D is played supposed to work for me. I get to play the game I want to play

Keep Rolling chars up If it makes you feel good, but your chars are going to be better than my point buy.

Without dice, it isn't randomized storytelling, but just storytelling. With point buy, from the very outset you are already placing narrative expectations on the game that assumes you will be born this way or that, and you can achieve this or that mathematically if you attack this many orcs you will survive X rounds, given these stats. Let the dice decide. They are the true gods of D&D.
I have no interest in randomized storytelling, since when was that ever what D&D about. I can play a computer RPG to get a purely randomized game. I want a fun & fair shared play experience.

So create your char that way you prefer is the RIGHT way. D&D Next is about "uniting" ALL editions of the game, NOT dictating a single play style as the "one to rule them all".

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
Some of us prefer character generation and not character creation. Rolling stats is an important aspect of that.

Part of the competitiveness of D&D is trying to survive with an average or sub-average character. That's a bragging right you can't get with point buy.

You guys can have your point buys and standard arrays, but if D&D Next is not designed so that 3d6 down-the-line is not a viable stat generation method, then I will not be playing D&D Next. End of story.

Remove ads