D&D 5E Rolling Without a Chance of Failure (I love it)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Yeah asking a human not to be influenced by there history there likes and dislikes is not only hard, but boarder line impossible.

All three (and with the exception of Ross I would support them) believe they ARE being a neutral arbiter and refree. It is just that the way they think is shaped by past experiences.

Just a simple Question of "Can I intimadate the orc if I XXX" will more likely then not generate multi answers on this very thread.
Because someone can be influenced doesn't mean they must be or that because they could be that somehow an approach to running a game is invalid.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Then you are in effect requiring trap expertise and/or pixel hunting. Were I in your game I'd have to piece by piece examine every aspect of the drawer that I could possibly think of, or risk missing the trap entirely and just auto-failing.

Right. And that's pixel hunting.

My response to this is the same as earlier, so I’m just going to quote myself whenever someone makes this accusation until they actually address my response.

“Pixel hunting” implies there is one correct answer, and anything else will result in no progress. This is not the case in my games. I do not come up with any particular solution, there are infinitely many possibilities for approaches the player might take, and even if an approach doesn’t result in success, it might still result in a check.

EDIT: As a follow-up, it seems like the two of you are saying that, if there is any approach you might try that would result in no progress without a roll, that it’s pixel-hunting. I would say this is a misuse of the term. The approach of doing the funky chicken dance would obviously result in no progress in trying to kill a goblin, but we don’t call combat pixel-hunting. Pixel-hunting is a phenomenon in some point and click adventure games where you have to click on exactly the right place to make progress, and anything else will result in no progress. Just because one approach you tried didn’t result in progress doesn’t mean no approach apart from the specific one I’m thinking of would.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
My response to this is the same as earlier, so I’m just going to quote myself whenever someone makes this accusation until they actually address my response.
That's a wrong definition of pixel hunting, though. Pixel hunting just implies that you have to keep hitting pixels until you get to the one pixel you need to find, which is what you described in your answer to me. There could be 10 different ways to hit that one pixel(poison coated handle), but you still need hit the pixel or you fail.

Charlaquin

That's a wrong definition of pixel hunting, though. Pixel hunting just implies that you have to keep hitting pixels until you get to the one pixel you need to find,
Right, which is not the case in my games.
which is what you described in your answer to me. There could be 10 different ways to hit that one pixel(poison coated handle), but you still need hit the pixel or you fail.
First of all, there is only one way to click a specific pixel, which is to move your mouse cursor over the pixel in question and click the left mouse button. Anything else will not result in clicking the pixel, so you are misusing this term. Second of all, there aren’t 10 different ways to detect the needle trap in my games, there are infinitely many. There are also infinitely many ways to search for it that might require a check to resolve, and infinitely many ways to search for it that wouldn’t result in finding it. You just happened to pick one of the latter. I doubt you would have called it pixel hunting if you had suggested singing an aria as your approach and I told you that wouldn’t succeed.

soviet

Hero
That's a wrong definition of pixel hunting, though. Pixel hunting just implies that you have to keep hitting pixels until you get to the one pixel you need to find, which is what you described in your answer to me. There could be 10 different ways to hit that one pixel(poison coated handle), but you still need hit the pixel or you fail.
That doesn't make sense. So if there are any wrong answers (ie non progressing pixels) then it's pixel hunting?

If I say I'm going to pick a lock with my sandwich, and you say no, I'd be correct to say you were pixel hunting?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
First of all, there is only one way to click a specific pixel, which is to move your mouse cursor over the pixel in question and click the left mouse button. Anything else will not result in clicking the pixel, so you are misusing this term.
I'm not. There can be many ways to find which pixel(poison coated handle) to click. Same as you described. If the player does not come up with one of the ways to be looking at the handle(click the pixel) and looks elsewhere, you said the player auto fails. Same thing.
Second of all, there aren’t 10 different ways to detect the needle trap in my games, there are infinitely many.
That's not only pedantic, but untrue. 10 different ways was just a number I tossed out and you know it. It wasn't intended to be an exact accounting of how many ways there are, but rather to indicate that there are multiple ways. There are also not an infinite number of ways to search for a needle trap. The number is finite, even if neither of us know that exact number.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That doesn't make sense. So if there are any wrong answers (ie non progressing pixels) then it's pixel hunting?

If I say I'm going to pick a lock with my sandwich, and you say no, I'd be correct to say you were pixel hunting?
That's not what I said.

Charlaquin

I'm not. There can be many ways to find which pixel(poison coated handle) to click. Same as you described. If the player does not come up with one of the ways to be looking at the handle(click the pixel) and looks elsewhere, you said the player auto fails. Same thing.
Please describe a way to click on a pixel on a screen other than moving your mouse cursor over it and clicking the left mouse button.
That's not only pedantic, but untrue. 10 different ways was just a number I tossed out and you know it. It wasn't intended to be an exact accounting of how many ways there are, but rather to indicate that there are multiple ways. There are also not an infinite number of ways to search for a needle trap. The number is finite, even if neither of us know that exact number.
There are absolutely infinitely many ways. That’s why D&D has a human running the game. If there was a finite number of ways we could program a computer to do it.

Remove ads